Old 02-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #43
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
paiceman's observations are on target if family dynamics match well with intent. My experience, though decades rather than 'years' ago, was shaped by 3 siblings and two parents doing annual, month long tours in a 63 VW "Caravelle Camper" split-screen bus. It was a super tight fit, the 'baby' got the deck over the engine, parents the dinette, my sister under the dinette, my brother and I the front seat bunks before my Dad built a mini-foldout trailer with a canvas cover for the little ones a few years later. Your kids will certainly thank you for it in adulthood; maybe before if you choose an Airstream with a working toilet. The perception of adequate space is an adult thing unless you have girls only.

Like others above, be sure you can inspect before committing. I believe Ebay finds are more risk than reward.

SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
So, what are you going to do? =)

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #45
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It seems to me that sometimes kids would rather sleep in sleeping bags on the floor or in tents pitched outside. For them it half the fun. More than 2 kids on the floor of an RV could be too much like an obstacle course for others.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
We have our 3 granddaughters (sisters) with us on some trips.. and sometimes our other granddaughter and grandson.. plenty of space in our 34'... Then we have enough space in our Crew Cab for them when underway.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
I grew up with a 24 ft midship twin bed Safari AS. My parents hired a carpenter to build bunkbeds above the twin beds. They were built to collapse back upon themselves to be able to capture the head space, as that was where we kids sat to eat our lunches. My littlest sister slept on a bridge built to span the space between the two lower twin beds. However, that was rarely used, as it prevented anyone from getting to the rear bath. The upper bunks were supported at the four corners with a vertical member. The system worked well for our family. I do not remember any feelings of it being too tight---after all, you are trailer camping.I have many happy memories of camping in that trailer.I hope that you can find a good solution for your family.
duncans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
About the one on E-bay - it's 10 years older than the Norman Rockwell one on our classifieds and at $13K "reserve not met" they're looking for about the same money as the newer one. I say that makes the newer one a no-brainer.

I get that the older one looks cleaner and more modern, but that is mostly cosmetic. You're going to have to remodel... so why re-remodel? Most of what looks overdone or dated in the newer one can be changed in less than a week.

Last August I parked next to a camper who had a small SOB - maybe 22 footer. His kids had a Tepee that they'd obviously helped make themselves - 15 foot saplings and a plastic coated canvas cover that mom had helped make. The family was home schooled - and really must have been studying the plains Indians. Even though the cover wasn't made from buffalo hide they did an impressive job of making it look pretty authentic including having the top in two layers so that condensation would form on the inside of the outer layer, and having a ground cloth that ran up the sides. Also all of the side panels could be rolled up for ventilation on a breezy day (they did have a cloth screen under the inner layer to keep out the bugs - so history vs. mosquitos?

The kids had a ball! They also made their own moccasins. Go camping!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Only you know your financial situation and capabilities. Or do you. Take it from me, you never know what life has in store for you.

#1 You could always sell your trailer if things got rough, but there is a good chance that you won't get what you put into it

#2 In my mind, RVs are a luxury item

#3 RVs are a bit of a money pit

#4 The old saying…." If you have to ask… can't afford it "

#5 You wouldn't believe how much being poor costs. Make sure you have a nest egg.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote