Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
newbee interested in buying an interstate

new to rv so many questions where do I start.
I am a border collie owner that takes my two dogs to sheep herding trials.
I am thinking about getting an interstate/ lounge so I can sleep at the trial fields rather than in hotels. Its only me and my two dogs I am 47 years old

1) are these comfortable to sleep in, I notice the bed will have cracks since its a few pieces unfolding to make the bed.

2) do dealers negotiate off the price. if so what % of mrsp should I expect to pay.

3) can you actually take a shower in one of these?

4) are the chairs behind the driver removable?

5) what kind of resale value can I expect if for some reason I fall out of love?

thanks so many more to ask but I do not want to wear out my welcome on my first post

Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 View Post
new to rv so many questions where do I start.
I am a border collie owner that takes my two dogs to sheep herding trials.
I am thinking about getting an interstate/ lounge so I can sleep at the trial fields rather than in hotels. Its only me and my two dogs I am 47 years old

1) are these comfortable to sleep in, I notice the bed will have cracks since its a few pieces unfolding to make the bed.

2) do dealers negotiate off the price. if so what % of mrsp should I expect to pay.

5) what kind of resale value can I expect if for some reason I fall out of love?

thanks so many more to ask but I do not want to wear out my welcome on my first post
Echo,

Welcome to the forums. You will find very friendly and helpful people here.

I can't answer all your Interstate questions, other than I had a tour of one when I was in Jackson Center last fall, and they are nice! I understand they are getting pretty good MPG as well.

Also, wondered if you have every been out here to Utah and the Sheep Dog Trials over Labor Day weekend each year.

Soldier Hollow Classic - Home

It's become an annual event for me. Border collies are amazing!

Stan
Salt Lake City

Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Showers - are you slender? Well the stall is. If you're a "plus size" you'll squeegee yourself dry just getting out!

Bed - that's what mattress toppers are for. Its pretty darned comfortable, but some folks can sleep on a board and others go nuts if there is a pea under the mattress.

Chairs removable - Sure. ANYTHING is removable.

These are NEAT beautiful vehicles, but they are MERCEDEZ BENZ! They make a statement as well as provide a nifty touring vehicle. Of course if money is NO option you could always tow a small airstream trailer behind the Interstate.

I say GO to a dealership that has one in stock and LOOK. Bring one dog too - just to size up the situation. Consider keeping the interior clean as well as traveling. (I'd BET you could do it, but I'd also bet you'll end up having a canopy style tent to do your dog prep in. I saw an artist who took one of those fold out canopies and added canvas walls - made a nice stand-up studio about 12 feet square.)

Paula
Old 02-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Well for a hundred grand, I'd have to think long and hard! They are very cool though...looked one over at the RV show last month.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:

1 - Mine is comfortable enough, without a pad on top, just a two-person sleeping bag. I sleep more soundly in my Interstate than I do at home, and about two hours longer each night as well. It's like being in a nest. The bed has cracks in it, but if you sleep with your head toward the rear doors, the cracks occur at the small of your back and behind your knees, where they're not a problem unless you're one of those people who routinely sleep face-down. Just remember to tuck the seat belts out of the way.

2 - Dealers do negotiate; I got mine for about 20% off MSRP. You might do better, you might do worse, depending on your negotiating skills. Dealers also compete; check with several Airstream dealers, and get the best price from among all of them for equivalent units, and if that best price isn't from your local dealer, show your local dealer the quote and ask if they can match it. Chances are, they can and will.

3 - I am 5'11" and tip the scales at 220 pounds, and can take a shower in mine without TOO much difficulty. I do, however, have to open the bahroom door to dry off; I need more room to swing a towel than I do to swing a bar of soap. I mostly travel solo, so it's not a problem to set a bath mat in front of the bathroom door and dry off in the aisle.

4 - The second-row seats are removable, with some effort and the right tools, and if you plan to mount dog travel kennels in their place, I'm sure the dealer will be happy to remove the seats for you, for a price.

5 - Can't help you there; I have no clue about resale value since I have no intention of reselling mine as long as my health still permits using it. A word of advice, though, do NOT fall in love with it until AFTER you buy it! Falling in love before the sale is the surest way to lose out during negotiations. Before the sale, find EVERYTHING you might hate about it to use as bargaining chipsó including those second-row seats you don't need; you may be able to convince the dealer to throw in removal of the seats at no extra charge to cement the deal.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, we love our Interstate and couldn't imagine traveling in anything else. 5 years, 108,000 miles.

Alone, with the dogs, you would probably be just fine. We are two adults and one dog, no problems. You will need a hand-vac to keep up after the hair.

We have never had a problem with the bed. It is firm and comfortable. We don't bother with a topper, wouldn't want to store it, but if you aren't doing long trips you could find a place to put it if you needed it.

Yes, you can shower in there. Everything gets wet, but you take the opportunity to run the hand-held shower behind the toilet, etc., to clean, and it's all good. We shower in ours only when nothing else is available, just because something larger is more comfortable. But, let me tell you, hot running water is hot running water.

You have a dealer up there, who may have something on his lot. We are not far from you, and, if you wanted to take a look at ours, we are home for a bit and could meet you mid-way if you like. PM me if you are interested in this.

Ours is a rear-sleeper, which is perfect for travel, we think. The newer models are quite posh and have a lot of extras in seating and amenities that we don't need and wouldn't want to pay for. It depends on what you want.

If you don't want those extra seats, might look at a gently used model that doesn't have them, rather than pay $$ for those only to remove them.

Do look at some, and ours is available if you like.

Maggie
Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
Thanks everyone!

I will check out one at the dealer in Joliet Illinois in the next few weeks.

Have any of you lived in one for more than a few days?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks everyone!

I will check out one at the dealer in Joliet Illinois in the next few weeks.

Have any of you lived in one for more than a few days?

We have spent 12 weeks out in ours at a time, and never tired of it.

Keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
here is another question.
I just found out the generator runs on propane?
what does the generator supply and how long can you
last on one fill up? Isn't ithard to find propane refill stations?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
here is another question.
I just found out the generator runs on propane?
what does the generator supply and how long can you
last on one fill up? Isn't it hard to find propane refill stations?
Generator supplies power to all alternating curent appliances:
water heater (in electric heat mode); microwave/convection oven; air conditioner; blower fan for the furnace; refrigerator (automatically switches to AC mode when there is a source of AC power); televisions; coffeemaker if you have one (2012's don't because the coffeemaker manufacturer went out of business); and anything you plug into a wall outlet.

NOTE: The generator only provides 20-amp power, not 30 amps, so you have to more carefully manage your AC electrical usage. For example, your water heater runs on either 110vAC power or on propane. Though it cuts into your propane reserves, when running on generator power it's best to run the water heater on propane so it doesn't cut into your limited AC power.

Many truck stops sell propane by the gallon; ask when you stop to fill up the diesel tank. So do a lot of agricultural suppliers; many will even deliver to you. Some U-Haul dealers sell propane as well. Check the yellow pages under "Propane".

I'll leave it to someone else to tell you how long your tank will last before needing a fill; I haven't run my generator long enough to deplete the propane tank.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
can the a/c appliances also run off of current from the engine/alternator?
what is the purpose of the solar panels?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
can the a/c appliances also run off of current from the engine/alternator?
what is the purpose of the solar panels?
A/C appiances run off of three possible sources:
1 - Shore power;
2 - Generator;
3 - Inverter.
However, only from one source at a time. I listed them in order of preference. A/C appliances cannot run off the alternator.

In theory (according to the manuals), the alternator should charge the house batteries as well, and then you presumably could run one or two a/c appliances off the inverter while the engine is keeping the house batteires charged, but I haven't tried it. It's a waste of resources, because then you're burning diesel fuel instead of propane to run your appliances.

Solar panels do one thing only; charge the house batteries, and only a trickle charge. The solar panel is wired to bypass the battery disconnect switch, so the solar panel charges the batteries even when you have the disconnect switched off.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4