Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

the belt was loose but not oily so i tightened it today. didn't make a difference.

yesterday when I got it back and noticed the dramatic change in braking i looked in the reservoir and it was low. i put fluid in and when it warmed up the fluid came back out through the cap of the reservoir. never seen it do that before.

cheers,
allen
Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you've got air, and it burped. let it sit overnight and see if it improves.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

that doesn't sound too bad. thanks richinny

the steering is still not powered like it should be though.

cheers,
allen
Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamlean
the steering is still not powered like it should be though.
cheers,
allen
you'll find out when you start it if it worked. top up the fluid level to the minimum before you start it. if is does start working, slowly turn the wheel lock to lock a few times but don't let it squeal and recheck the level.
good luck!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Power Steering Not Working...

Hi Ricky -

The power steering is not working. So I'm going to have it replaced. It was making a noise before I had the gear box put on so it doesn't surprise me actually.

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
CAN the hoses be reversed? it been a while since i've seen one of those systems so i don't remember. from the overflow post, i'd still like to rule out air in the system but i don't know how that system would get bled. :-(

anyone have manuals for this system?

p.s. what kind of fluid did you refill it with?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Fluid...

Hi richinny -

The cap to the reservoir says put in Transmission Fluid Type A. Type A is no longer made so I've been using Dexron III or when I can find it General Purpose transmission fluid (which includes Type A on the label). So that's what I've been using since I've had the moho. Is this correct? I always kind of thought that was weird.

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
wow, type "a"? i've only seen that used in older ford transmissions. i'll just remind you that i'm using general knowledge here to try to help you out.

if i recall correctly, this is a GM chassis, right? it seems odd that they would not use at least dextron. when i worked on cars we always used GM power steering fluid as it was what GM recommended. i had a leak in an oldsmobile rack n pinion that stopped leaking when power steering fluid was used. i also know that honda has a special steering fluid.

you're going to have to check with the manufacturer or a rebuilder to get the proper fluid. you might ask a GM dealer for info and also ask if there is a filter in the back of that pump. if you do find that it is the same as other GM pumps, i might have an old repair manual that has a parts breakdown. sorry i can't help more :-(
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Ricky

Ok, I pulled out my 1978 Argosy manual (mine is a '75 but they have the same chasis Chevy P30) and it recommends GM Power Steering Fluid or Dexron II Automatic Transmission fluid.

The more I read on here, and other places on the web, I think I'll try disconnecting all the lines and check for clogged or worn hoses and lines before I install the new pump. I bought a rebuilt one and it finally arrived today but I read on this post (see below) that a guy replaced 3 pumps before figuring out it was a clogged line that was causing his problem.

GM hydro-boost inop

Plus the instructions on replacing the pump call for all lines to be no older than 2 years old otherwise it voids the warranty. Probably just an easy out for them in case of failure but a good idea to check anyway.

I think your idea of using GM Power Steering fluid is wise. Since I'll more than likely drain just about the whole system disconnecting the lines I'll replace the fluid with the GM stuff.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Allen