Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamlean
ok, so all these bars aren't created equally. they don't make it easy on ya do they?

I've heard a lot about the IPD bars. Does anyone know if they are solid or hollow? Kinda hard to find but here's a link for a kit with bar for $265. Is that a good deal?

Class A Motorhomes

cheers
Hi Allen,

If my memory serves me well, I paid about that for the front bar I put on my Sebring in the mid 80s. About another $180 for the rear. Given that there have been over 20 years of inflation, it sounds pretty good to me.

Vaughan

Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Good price

Thanks Vaughn,

I'll go ahead and get the bar and polys.

So 2airishuman you would replace the coils and airbags too. Do you remember what that ran ya? I don't want to take out a second mortgage

Cheers,
Allen

Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Springs

Quote:
Thanks Vaughn,
Quote:

I'll go ahead and get the bar and polys.

So 2airishuman you would replace the coils and airbags too. Do you remember what that ran ya? I don't want to take out a second mortgage

Cheers,
Allen

Hi Allen,

I didn’t replace the torsion bars on my Sebring. A torsion bar is a straight bar that twists when loaded by the suspension. Interestingly enough a coil spring is a torsion bar that is wrapped in a spiral. When the spring is compressed, it twists the metal of the spring exactly like twisting a straight bar. It is this twisting that provides the “springiness” of the coil.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful on this. Let me know what you find.

Vaughan
Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
... you would replace the coils and airbags too. Do you remember what that ran ya?
hi allen

yep, this change makes a big difference in highway feel.

less semi push, no bottoming out, and no proposing like an old caddie...

and no airbags to check.

the springs are 250$ or so.

don't know where you live or how much distance you plan to cover in the moho.

mine saw a lot of action and many trips over the western mountain passes.

secure steering/handling made those tripss so much more relaxed...

cheers
2air'

then of course there are the engine/drivetrain enhancements....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

What kind of machine...

2air,

what kind of Moho do you have?

I live in GA but I'm getting ready for a trip out West. Around here you can get by with sloppy steering because it's fairly flat. But driving in the mountains of N. GA gets a little scarey so I can't even imagine driving in the real mountains out there.

So you just took out your airbags and replaced them with SuperSteer coils right? Where did you purchase your coils, online or brick and mortar? How did you know which ones to buy? Looks like they come in different flavors Super Steer® Coil Springs - Camping World Honestly I've never even adjusted my airbags, couldn't even tell you where to put the pressure guage. That's bad I know but I really don't drive it that often.

What about replacing the bellcranks with supersteer or would the factory ones be ok (if they are loose ofcourse)?

Cheers,
Allen
Old 08-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
_

. , .
i had a 79 a/s classic 28 ftr...

the coils were done at the same time as the sway bars and shocks and other bits...

the work was all done by the ipd folks in oregon, as i was living nearby.

yes the coil selection is based on moho model, weight and so on but the vendors can help with proper sizing.

having watched them do it, it's not that hard IF you've got the tools and space.

the alignment needs to be checked/changed afterward.

your current coil/bags are pretty easy to check...

IF you've not checked the air in a long time....they may need some (or a lot)

the moho threads cover this pretty well and there are a bunch of moho folks here, somewhere...

like zamboni, swebster, thenewkid64, and....?

here are some front bag threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...ags-32765.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ags-30234.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ags-28074.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...eath-9121.html

and a more general thread on sloppy steering issues...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ing-27175.html

just from reading these you'll get great info and id some of the moho fellas...

and actually the moho guys have started another forum out in cyberspace...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Anyone know what this is called?

Ok, I've looked and looked and can't find a dampner shock on my RV. This kind of concerns me. I grabbed the picture below from another post but it looks just like mine except it's missing the arm for the dampner. Anybody know what this piece is called?

Cheers,
Allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dampner_missing.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	44489  
Old 09-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Ok, I've looked and looked and can't find a dampner shock on my RV. This kind of concerns me. I grabbed the picture below from another post but it looks just like mine except it's missing the arm for the dampner. Anybody know what this piece is called?

Cheers,
Allen
Allen,

I've always called that the Bell Crank Arm but I think GM had a different name for it. If it makes you feel any better our 74 Argosy 20' doesn't have the stud for the steering stabilizer either. Our 84 310 does have the stud for the steering stabilizer as shown in your picture. Looking at the frame of our Argosy it looks like its setup for a stabilizer so all you would have to do is buy the Bell Crank Arm from Supersteer (only place I found that sold them) and make sure it has the stud for the stabilizer. The cost is $300 plus $100 for the core which in your case might not appy since it doesn't have the stud on it. Be interesting to find out about the core issue.

Keep us posted as to what you find out for a replacement arm and if you find a source other than Supersteer I'd like to know about it.

Brad
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Missing Arm...

Hi Brad -

So your 74 Argosy 20' doesn't have a stabilizer shock? Is that right? Perhaps my '75 26' isn't suppose to have one of these? That would be a huge releif to know.

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Brad -

So your 74 Argosy 20' doesn't have a stabilizer shock? Is that right? Perhaps my '75 26' isn't suppose to have one of these? That would be a huge releif to know.

Cheers,
Allen
No ours doesn't have one either. I wish it did and I'm going to try and use later model parts so I can install one. They are well worth having to help dampen out the bumps and jots while steering.

One of these days I'm going to measure both our 1984 310 and the 74 Argosy to see if the parts are interchangeable. First glance tells me they are.

Brad
Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Hi Brad -

I think my unit has been wrecked at some point so I'm wonedering if that arm was a replacement from an earlier model without the damper like your Argosy. I'm betting that they are the same size.

Just put in a call to Airstream hopefully they will be able to tell me if the Original Equipment came with the damper.

Without this piece it almost seems that the Steer Safe https://www.campingworld.com/browse/...eg/prodID=1543
product would be a good buy. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
Allen
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Brad -

I think my unit has been wrecked at some point so I'm wonedering if that arm was a replacement from an earlier model without the damper like your Argosy. I'm betting that they are the same size.

Just put in a call to Airstream hopefully they will be able to tell me if the Original Equipment came with the damper.

Without this piece it almost seems that the Steer Safe https://www.campingworld.com/browse/...eg/prodID=1543
product would be a good buy. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
Allen
Allen,

Your Argosy is only one year newer than mine and I'm betting it didn't come with a steering stabilizer from the factory.

I've looked at the Steer Safe and its on our list of upgrades. Won't be done anytime soon as we have SO many other things to fix on the moho first.

Also the Steer Safe does not replace the need for a Steering Stabilizer. The Steer Safe helps pull the tire back into line if something like a blowout happens. It won't do anything for small bumps in the road which is what the steering stabilizer is for.

Brad
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

good point Brad,

it probably didn't have one. but i could probably add it I guess. need to get a gear box first though. always something

cheers,
allen
Old 09-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Talked to Airstream

I talked to Airstream and they said that some units have these stablizer shocks and some don't. They said that people in the 70's were actually putting them on themselves and this is why they started adding them to the later AS models.

So, I've got a bigger problem than I thought. This whole steering thing and stabilizer thread was started because when I hit a bump in just the right way the entire front end would shake like mad until I slowed down. I took it to my local mechanic and he has replaced...

1) Tie Rod Ends
2) Sway Bar Bushings
3) Shocks (with Bilsteins)
4) Gear box is leaking but not loose and mechanic said it could wait.

Has anyone here had this same thing happen to them?

Cheers,
Allen