Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
1998 31' Land Yacht
Pensacola , Florida
New Motorhome for new RVer, new to airforum.....

So I took the plunge a month ago, spur of the minute 17.8k dollar decision, normally something to at least sleep on. I happened to respond within seconds of the post on craigslist and he was only 3 miles away. seemed like fate at the time. A 1998 30' land yacht, 14,000 miles. pristine condition. Or so it seemed.
Over the last month I've tested all systems, except the furnace, all 100%, flushed nasty holding tanks several times, fixed a few minor things such as bath fan, back up camera, windshield wipers, all with help from reading through these forums.
I dropped another 3 grande on tires, fluid and belt changes. She seems to run great with the Chevy 454, doesn't feel at all underpowered. My only experience in driving these monsters was test driving 3 before this one so I really have no experience to draw on.
Now the rub. A couple soft spots on the roof. The newbies fatal flaw? I did walk the roof before purchase and apparently missed these areas.
Again with the help of this forum I sealed up nice and tight with eternabond. No sign of water anywhere since but previous damage is there.
There was and is no smell of mildew or anything else out of the ordinary now that the rotten egg smell from fresh water tank is gone.
You can actually still pick up on the 'new' smell from 1998, not one hole or scratch anywhere inside, nobody has done ANY customizing except me. Just one chair by the table is slightly worn.
How did I do for 21 of my favorite thousand dollars. How much do I need to worry about the roof and the dreaded dry rot. (Probably 4 or 5 sq feet total on the roof around vents and some old water damage under a window).
Sorry about the rambling nature of this post but its 2 AM. Ive tried to attach about 15 pics, hope they make it. Many thanks for all the advice in past threads that helped me through this venture. After reading posts about water damage issues I'm wondering if I've screwed the pooch.
Let me have it between the eyes.

Thanks in advance.
Bennett

Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, welcome to the forum. I have no idea what this motorhome is worth, but it looks good in your pictures and is very low mileage.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Bennett,

Welcome to Airforums! From the sounds of it you didn't do bad at all. I can't really speak to the soft spots on the roof as I own the Classic series. I'm sure others will chime in on with help and suggestions on what to do about any possible damage.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.i.p._FZ View Post
....Ive tried to attach about 15 pics, hope they make it. Many thanks for all the advice in past threads that helped me through this venture. After reading posts about water damage issues I'm wondering if I've screwed the pooch.
Let me have it between the eyes.

Thanks in advance.
Bennett
Err, well, others seem to be seeing them, but I can't see your pictures!

Whatever, I wouldn't worry too much if you didn't fall through the roof, and you've done a decent Eternabond job. Note that if you have Eternabonded seams that get immersed, that is are sitting in puddles for any period, they will leak, as I found. This can happen around the AC units in particular, and at the front corners just behind the cab area. I found it was necessary to build up the level a little on top of the Eternabond in those areas, then I applied a dense foam sheeting about 1/3" thick to raise the area, then Eternabonded over the top of that. At the AC units I also used a sticky butyl caulk on the front between the new Eternabond layer and the AC unit to stop driving rain getting in the gap. That luan ply is strong stuff, even if it might have slightly delaminated in spots, so no need to reroof quite yet IMHO.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I see no pictures as well.

Welcome to the forum and to the AS world as well.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
I was re-reading what I wrote above (guess I should have done that before posting) and I meant to say that I used the dense foam to build up the slightly sunken areas, not that I built up and then put the foam over. If the areas are sunken by more than 1/4" or so then there is probably structural damage and some chopping and replacing would be necessary at the very least.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
I was able to see the pictures by clicking on the words "airstream registry". Then a file titled "The Beast" could be opened by clicking on that.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Ahhh, I see. I thought the pictures were imbedded in the post.