Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
New color backup camera using the Sony cable

I would like to update my backup camera and monitor to a color system. There is a company that will sell you four adapters for around $100, but I was wondering if anyone had cut the ends off the Sony cable and reused it? He new style cameras have power and ground plus an RCA plug, and the Sony cable has 4 pins. I cut into the Sony cable and checked it out. There is a larger red wire, a smaller black and white wire, and a wire in silver shielding.
Anyone know how these would get reused? Thanks, SebastianClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1436332559.910445.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	242432

Old 07-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
If it was me I'd at least try using the existing wires just to see if it worked. Other than losing some time I don't think you could damage any of the equipment.

Quote:
There is a larger red wire, a smaller black and white wire, and a wire in silver shielding.
I would try connecting the + to sony red, - to sony black, the inside of the sony shielded wire to the center post of the RCA connector and the RCA connector shield to the white wire.

Worst that should happen is a crappy video signal. I found this product on Ebay RCA Video cable converter that might do what you want.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Cameras are cheap now. I'd buy a new one off of Amazon before paying $100 for an adapter.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:27 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Sounds like a plan...
Old 07-13-2015, 05:26 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Not sure if it is the same for your system but I am working on installing a combined GPS/rear view camera, and have had an issue where the camera switching on is picked up by the monitor and used as to switch to 'video in'. So the camera power needs to switch, not be constant on.....fine if the power comes from a reversing light but if (like me) you want to use the rear view camera as a rear mirror, then you need another way to switch the camera on when needed.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Not sure if it is the same for your system but I am working on installing a combined GPS/rear view camera, and have had an issue where the camera switching on is picked up by the monitor and used as to switch to 'video in'.
Martin, if I understand this correctly what you're describing is exactly how the rear view camera that I just installed F250 works.

Quote:
So the camera power needs to switch, not be constant on.....fine if the power comes from a reversing light but if (like me) you want to use the rear view camera as a rear mirror, then you need another way to switch the camera on when needed.
Run a power feed wire from the camera to a switch on the dash. One side of the switch is to +12VDC and the other side goes to the camera and to the monitor. Flip the switch on and the camera comes on and the monitor switches to rear view. Turn it off and it reverts to previous mode. Doing it this way means the reverse lights won't light up when you've flipped the switch to rear view mode.

I had never used a backup camera before so after the installation I tried backing up to my trailer and was able to get the hitch ball lined up directly under the trailer tongue on the first try. Pulled forward and tried from a different angle and hit it spot on the second time as well. Needless to say I'm quite impressed with this arrangement!

Brad
Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I have a reversing camera on my Tacoma, and I agree they are brilliant. Like you I can back up straight under the ball first time, every time.

On the Argosy I am experimenting with camera position. The modern CMOS cameras, can be up to 170 degree side to side visibility, but also have night vision LEDS (prices range from $10-40 in Amazon), and have a 'grid' overlay on their output so you can get a good idea of range as well as direction. Seems for me the best position is actually just under the center rear pano window because I can see the tow hitch but also a pretty good view of the road behind (which is a shame has a location above the window would be an easier install). At the moment everything is laid out on the surface because I want to make sure it all works as I hope before burying the wiring.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
On the Argosy I am experimenting with camera position. The modern CMOS cameras, can be up to 170 degree side to side visibility, but also have night vision LEDS (prices range from $10-40 in Amazon), and have a 'grid' overlay on their output so you can get a good idea of range as well as direction. Seems for me the best position is actually just under the center rear pano window because I can see the tow hitch but also a pretty good view of the road behind (which is a shame has a location above the window would be an easier install). At the moment everything is laid out on the surface because I want to make sure it all works as I hope before burying the wiring.
Good idea laying everything out first. I usually get it all done and then test

I would have thought mounting below the window would have been easier than above the window. Above the window wouldn't you have to mess with the inner skin. Below the window you could drop the wiring right into the generator compartment.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Good idea laying everything out first. I usually get it all done and then test

I would have thought mounting below the window would have been easier than above the window. Above the window wouldn't you have to mess with the inner skin. Below the window you could drop the wiring right into the generator compartment.
More a carry over from the new layout; all the internal (low voltage and AV) wiring runs up and then along the roof of the Argosy, then drop behind the passenger seat/in front of the door. I can come along the side on the generator cubby (which is now the AC cubby/inside of the night stand) but in there is no simple route through the 'kitchen'.....definitely could be done but all the stuff low down is pretty well buttoned up, and up top is laid to allow cable to be pulled.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Thanks for the advice everybody. I ran a test on he new parts and it worked fine...you just need power and ground, and two of the wires for video signal. Choose the ones you want to use and reuse the existing wire. The cheap components you can buy on eBay work great!