Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2004, 09:42 PM   #1

Angry new 33 ft Land Yacht

we just purchased a new 33 ft. land yacht. It is really a handful as far as swaying goes with toad and without. Tire pressure is ok Michlin tires. Really sway bad when around big trucks. Ayn suggestions?
bob eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Check your bell cranks and all the front end parts as well.Good Luck Jim
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Hello Bob and welcome......
What is your tow Vehicle? intend on traveling long distances?
The more information you can provide, the more detailed the answers from the forum members will be .........
Do a search for "Hensley Arrow Hitch" Its a special Anti-Sway Hitch
-Jason
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
oh a motorhome then.....well that helps to know! =]
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Welcome,
I've got a 33' Land Yacht too, It handles pretty good, but I think it could be better.
So I ordered new Bilstein shocks, Bilstein stearing dampener, and heavy sway bar. I'm going to have them installed next week, I'll let you know how much difference they make.
I got the shocks from eshocks.com, and the sway bar from truckpreformance.com.

When I got my rig last fall I had new oem shocks installed, new tires, and idler arms. That helped alot, but I'm hoping the Bilsteins will be even better.
Another major upgrade is installing headers, they made real big difference in performance, runs better, cooler, pulls better, and gets better milage too. So if you have the original cast iron manifolds you might want to check into those too. I put on the Banks system, but I understand that the Gibsons Camping World sells/intalls are good too.

HTH
Don
Old 04-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Don, I just replaced my steering dampener with a Bilstein dampener and the difference was immense. You should notice a big difference especially if your old dampener was weak.
I also have a pair of Bilstein front shocks which I haven't insatlled yet, mostly because the existing ones are still in good shape but in talking with others I've heard they add good stability to the ride. The only negitive I've heard is the shocks are so tight they give a harder ride than most other brands.
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Bob & Stuart,
I got the Bilstein shocks, steering stablizer, and heavy sway bar installed today. Only got to drive it the 10miles to home, but looks like it's going to be much better. Ride is not harsh at all, but nice and firm. Steering is nice and tight, doesn't wander or drift like before. Although my rig is 11yrs old it drives like a new one now.
Now if I only had time to travel more
Don
Old 04-07-2004, 04:44 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Glad to help Don!...and you're obligated to tell us all if you can figure out the "how to get more time to travel" dilemma! Stuart
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote