Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I am new to M/H's but am an experienced wrencher...
I think this maybe a tire, because the vibration is there regardless of load.
My experience with drive train vibrations is that they are more prominant under load or coast conditions if its a UJ joint..

Another tire question...
Anyone got any thoughts or opinions on drive axle tires?
Being new to all this I just noticed that some places suggest a different tire for the drive axle than the steering or tag axle. They call the traction tires.
I kinda makes sense to me, but wanted some input!

Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
The Hawk's Lair
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Two years ago we had spent the Columbus Day weekend in Door county WI., and were on on our way home on Columbus Day when both right side duals blew at once. The coach handled okay and I merely pulled over on the shoulder and got out to have a look. I had one spare but it was also flat so we needed help.

We were 20 miles east of Wausau and there isn't much out there in terms of truck stops or gas stations for that matter. We got on the cell phone and got hold of a tire company in Wausau that was open on the holiday. Half an hour later the tire truck showed up and in no time at all he had installed two new tires and we were on our way.

Here's the rub. He only had Good Year tires. So now I had two Good Years and the rest Michelin. But wait, they were a lot cheaper. So I got to looking around and saw that most trucks were running Good Year and that they were much easier to obtain on the road. I switched to all Good Year. I have no regrets.

I now replace two tires every year. I put them on the front and move the front tires back. I do not want to let my tires get that old again. That's what blows them. Not wear, but age.

I suspect that one of the duals had gone flat, or low and when it blew it took the other with it. I indtalled the Tire Pressure Monitoring System right after that and love it. It gives me pressure and temperature of every tire while going down the road. I highly recommend it. Camping World now sell the system.

There is no "I" in the word "team," but there are four in "Platitude Quoting Idiot!"

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote