Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Need info on 1993 Land yacht

Have the opportunity to get a 1993 Land yacht. Any advice on the engine and how well it holds up? It's a 454 Chevy.
Have a mechanic to go over it, but would welcome any specifics I need to ask about or have him pay close attention to.
It has 80,000 miles on it.
I'm open to any advice anyone can give me.

possummamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I find the 454 to be a very good engine. Gas mileage is on the low side but as the old saying goes "if you have to ask about the gas mileage you probably shouldn't buy it" .

Our 310 is the second motorhome (1st airstream) with a 454 and we haven't had trouble out of either one. The 1st had about 100,000 and still ran strong. The 310 was rebuilt about 8 years ago at about 85,000 but not due to the engines fault. The PO had a shop work on the A/C and they left the motorhome running and forgot about it. A passer by mentioned the smoke coming out form under the hood. Hence the need for a rebuild.

Parts are readily available anywhere you go which helps a lot. Heck we broke down in downtown Detroit and were able to get parts for it on a Sunday.

Good luck!

Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
We have had a 93 on a P30 chassie for 5 years and its been a good one. Drive it and if the steering seems to wander around a little at highway speeds it may need new bell cranks, GM calles them steering relays, I put Super Bell cranks with taperd roller bearings in instead of OEM's that only last 10 to 15K miles. Park it on a clean piece of comcrete and let it set and idle with the AC on. Look for any drops of oil or radiaror coolant directly below the radiator engine oil cooler area. Its a mightmare to pull eather radiator out. Also the large or two small fans, which ever one you have, should come on if you run the ac long enough while setting still. If it doesnt it may over heat in stop and go traffic with the AC on. Last thing is the engine driven cooling fan thermal clutch. Pop the cover on the engine and reach down, with the ignition off, and grab one of the fan blades and try to turn it. With a hot engine there should be very little resistance, cold you should feel some drag. Also look at the condition of the belts while your in there. As far as the 454 goes, its a BRUTE! I'v towed a 23' boat all over Texas with it, Only thing special I have is a GearVendor OD unit that does all the shifting for me. I dont use the OD on the Chevy Transmission. One other thing. If the AutoPark setup works off the power steering pump you are in luck, their reletively trouble free. If it operates off the electric driven pump, you will have to keep a close eye on it - the two pressure switches on the assembley plastic parts are bad about cracking and leaking.

Good Luck - If I can help further let me know - Pat Houston TX
porourke is offline   Reply With Quote

1993, land yacht, 454