Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
MrJ
3 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Dallas , Texas
My RV is a bus?! - city told me to move it - help

Working on my 76' Argosy HM. I've got the inside gutted, front off, etc. City calls me and says you can't park it anywhere in the city because it's a bus. I tell them it's not, they say it is.. They are also saying there's a weight issue, etc. There are plenty of RVs in the city parked in people's driveways.

Anyone dealt with this before? Suggestions?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ View Post
Working on my 76' Argosy HM. I've got the inside gutted, front off, etc. City calls me and says you can't park it anywhere in the city because it's a bus. I tell them it's not, they say it is.. They are also saying there's a weight issue, etc. There are plenty of RVs in the city parked in people's driveways.

Call an attorney who is familiar with local laws...
Good luck!
Bruce

Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ View Post

I had to deal with it in Austin, because of a complained driven city ordinance, concerning the parking of RV, Boats and Trailers within City Limits.
I ended up building a 6' privacy fence around my driveway and had the city come out and approve it in writing, end of story.
Check your local codes, print them out and contact the city.
Good Luck !
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Wow!! Surely you can fight it. I would go take pictures of other peoples RV's parked at their house and ask them what is the difference.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You should not have to spend money to get an attorney involved.

I would take photos of other motor homes parked in driveways and then show them a copy of the title. City's can act just like a bully. They will push you around until you fight back. If you can't get any satisfaction from the person giving you a hard time, then try going up the chain of command. Good luck.

Dan
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
You may also want to contact the DMV and see if they would license it as a bus or a motor home and why. If they tell you that they would license it as a motor home, there is more ammunition to use to support your position against the city.

Dan
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
If you read up on complained driven city ordinances, you will realize that you may get singled out, no matter if your neighbor has a 40' rig sitting in his driveway. Been there.... and it is very frustrating
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I think I'd want to see their exact definition of a bus, in a written ordnance. If it isn't defined somewhere, it's a bureaucrats subjective opinion, which I'd think would be indefensible.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'd show them the title to show them is is NOT a bus and your insurance and anything else that describes it as a motorhome...then go to battle/ What about any manuals or documentation that is original? They are just ignorant of what an Airstream motor home looks like. Sounds like someine complained for sure. Aren't neighbors delightful?
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Mr. J,
You can access the Dallas Municipal Codes here: ClientCodeList - Municipal Code Corporation It will take some time and work but my suggestion is to read up on the code section(s) that apply and then go right back at them.

Good luck,
Wayne S
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
What does the plate say? Private Bus? Motorhome? I can't for the life of me think of what the plates on the 50 motorhomes at my storage lot say, I don't really look at them... I just pay attention to the Avion (checking on it for my neighbor just in case) and my Argosy.

I don't know what Dallas code is like, but in Fort Worth a motorhome or travel trailer has to be "hidden" from view from the street if it's there for more than a day or two. I don't think a 6' privacy fence would be technically sufficient, but if your neighbors didn't kvetch you'd probably get away with it.

Once the code-compliance drones get involved, though, it's all about the letter of the code. Dallas code is available online, but all I found is about parking an RV on the street, not in a driveway. From Section 28-81:

A person commits an offense if he stops, parks, or stands a motor home, house trailer, or recreational vehicle with a rated capacity in excess of one and one-half tons, according to the manufacturer's classification, upon any public right-of-way abutting a residential area. This subsection shall not apply to the parking or standing of a vehicle for the purpose of expeditiously loading or unloading passengers or property.

My guess is the CodeDrones have to tell you exactly what code you're violating... if they didn't tell you in the letter, they'll have to on request. Buona fortuna!

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Contact Good Sam - they have good experience with providing arguments to help your cause.

Good Luck - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Site Team

, Minnesota
The problem might be that you have the thing disassembled and laying around in pieces.
We have a neighboor with an inoperable Winnebago Class C parked in his driveway for 5 years. He finally started to dismantle it a few months ago. First the aluminum came off. Then the wheels. It sat for a couple of months as just a cab and chassis. Today all that's left is the motor and front axle. It's an eyesore.

I have no idea how long your Argosy has been sitting there gutted with the front end off, but perhaps that's the real issue behind the conflict with the city.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Good Luck! Lots of good suggestions here. Anyone here can see the problems you face by looking up the City Council members for Dallas....what a conglomeration.