Old 06-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Our new bike transport method

OK, you'll probably notice the Obrea isn't much for single track but I did ride it on dirt roads today on an easy spin following yesterdays TT

This might be a little harder with the mtn bikes and you'd certainly want to wash them first but flipping up the cushion of the rear double bed made for a great place to transport the bikes:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bike_transport.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	22484

I'm thinking instead of bungy cord to the window, which wants to open the window, with a little custom work I could put fork mounts in the plywood that would be totally hidden (recessed) when the cushions are in place. Could get three bikes in for sure with the bed pulled out. If you had the double twin arrangement I bet you could do four bikes this way.

Even if I go with a rear bike rack having the ability to lock the bike inside the trailer, out of sight out of mind has some definite appeal. For one thing "my precious" (as Gollum says) TT bike won't get rained on. HEAVEN FORBID!!!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
BHayden, I'm not certain what the plywood looks like under your cushion but if you could mount the "bike tight" front fork clamps on a piece of plywood that you could flip then this would get it out of the need to be recessed.
Bottom line is that you don't want to be digging into the bottom of the cushion.
Also consider the orientation of the two bikes. Most of the inertia is sideways in your present configuration. I like mine inline with the direction of travel as don't like sideways effort on my dropouts. Just MHO.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Mine are front to back. They're on the rear bed that parallels to the side of the trailer. Not clear in the picture I guess. I couldn't get back any farther so show the whole set-up. I thought about flipping the plywood but haven't gone back to check if it's symetrical. That still leaves the problem of the bolt heads. The fork mounts are designed to take a csk screw and a nut/washer on the back side. The plywoods not thick enough to counter bore a recess. to hold the nut. I figure holes for the fork mounts and a board across the span would give some added strength anyway that would be a good idea with the load of the bikes on a bumpy road. A groove for keeping the rear wheel in place might not be a bad idea also.

What you said though made me think more about the front gaucho. I'd still mount them front to back but put the rear wheel on the floor. I'll have to check clearances but I think with our 24' there's enough up there you could fit three bikes and still walk past them and use the kitchen/bath while traveling. I wouldn't be able to turn them head to tail but that doesn't always work anyway. Would also like some way to keep the rear tire from hopping around in transit and permanent fixtures in the floor are out. I might end up with mounts in both locations. It's nice to have options when you're trying to stack road bikes, full susupenion, hardtails, etc. Often times I feel like its a Rubics Cube trying to get them to fit on the rear hitch mount rack ;-)

-Bernie
Old 06-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Obrea, ohhh....

sigh... to tall for me though! I'm more of a 48cm guy. Just used my Giant OCR3 (upgraded to about OCR1 status) this w/e for the Flying Wheels Century. My friends are doing Tour De Blast (up and around Mt. St. Helens) this w/e, I have to work though.

9 and 14 bikes? See, I'll have to tell the wife that I'm falling behind! Only 4 bikes here!

Nice to see bikes and AS's together again!
Marc
Old 06-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Bernie, photo's don't always tell the whole story...I thought you had them on the gaucho sideways...my mistake.
I've managed to get four in the back of the bus... long ways, the only trouble was my LWB kinda was in the way of either the fridge or the door to the head.
We use the removable board with bike tights so the whole deal is on sections of plywood to begin with. This saves wear and tear on the floor too. No chain lube and mystery gunk on the carpet or floor.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Went back and rode Otter Creek again this weekend. There was an XC race about three miles away at Ft Duffield. Which meant there were about a million bikers in the park all day Saturday and early Sunday. A group of three passed me on one of the climbs along the river...made me realize just how slow I've become. I miss those CAT3 legs.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote