Old 07-07-2002, 11:16 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
There are many mods/upgrades that can be done to the P30 chassis that the classic Airstream motor home is built on. There are steering stablilzers as well as tighter aftermarket steering gearboxes that can be installed. Remember that this chassis was originally designed as a step van/bread truck. If you are looking for handling like a car, you will not find it. But you can be comfortable even with standard hardware. I have only an upgraded steering stabilizer and I have no complaints. I see room for improvement but I belive we all have a slight amount of "wander" in the way we go down the road. The normal things still apply, Alingment, inflation, tire wear, air bag pressure, etc. All can make the steering feel weird. So I would advise to look for the common front end issues. Worn tires, loose ball joints, etc. If the rest of the motorhome passes muster steering can be fixed.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 01:08 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Greene
Thanks for the welcome, gentlemen. Glad to be here and soaking up all the classic Airstream motorhome information I can. Thanks also for posting the model year/length matrix. That is a help in sorting out the options.

I'd like to have a separate bedroom but I'm getting the impression that didn't happen until the 31' length (which is longer than I can park at home). Did any of the shorter models have a separate (rear) bedroom floor plan? We can manage a couch that converts into a bed if necessary but a real bed would be nice.

What was the earliest year and the latest year that the classic aluminum Airstreams were made? I believe there was some production overlap between the painted Argosy and the aluminum Airstream and the classic Airstream production continued for a while after the fiberglass motorhomes were added to the Thor line of RVs. I just don't know the relevant years.

Old 07-08-2002, 03:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
The aluminum motorhomes were made from 1974 to 1996.

The overlap is in 1978 between Argosy and Airstream Excella models.

1978 28' (A) has a rear bedroom.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:29 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to on_belay616
buyer searching and learning

Hi all -

I'm digging into all of the resources you have mentioned above, and don't see any reference to price levels for the MH (Argosy's specifically). Does anyone know of an online resource to ballpark a resonable purchase price for an AS MH? I'm really impressed by vintageairstream's guide - but didn't see any specific price list for the motoring species! Any help would be appreciated. In the mean time I'll be watching ebay and the various listings like a hawk! Thanks.

Chris
Old 08-21-2003, 02:30 AM   #19
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

Pricing tends to run all over the map. There is a 20 foot Argosy on Ebay right now for 14K. A month ago a 20 foot 74 in lesser condition went for less than 6K. 28 footers seem to run from 8K to 12K depending on condition. You ned to look at the market and see what coaches are going for to get a feel for the deal factor. It is good to do your research ahead of time.

One thing I will say is usally when you find one you want you have to move quick. Most do not stay up for sale long.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to on_belay616
ask/sell price excel spdsheet

Brett, thanks for the good advice.

All - I'm going to start a ask/sell tracking spreadsheet for a few months, tracking year, mileage, mileage on engine and tranny since rebuild, etc. If anyone has something like this that they did before their purchase I sure would appreciate a copy. Let me know if you want a copy of mine.

The places I know to look are:

www.rvtraderonline.com
www.ebaymotors.com
www.airstream.net
www.airstreamcentral.com
www.SellAirstreams.com
www.Airstream.net
www.vintagecampers.com

Any other ideas? Thanks a lot!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:23 AM   #21
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Basic P30 454 drivetrain inspection list, keeping adding

to the list as you think of it! P30

1) Tires - dry rot? rims bent?
2) driveshaft - universals tight?
3) rear axle - any lube in it?
4) gas tank - odor or leaks?
5) rear air bags - pump up and turn off? bags twisted? fuse holder slowly melting down from too frequent operation?
6) transmission leaks? shift? slip?
7) 454 engine - when was anything last replaced? No history - assume original. Do compression check. Look at plugs and wires also. Cooked wires will fall apart. Any leaks? Valve cover and intake manifold gaskets time consuming to replace. Starter solonoid cooked by heat - plastic cover still on it? oil cooler lines old/original? coolant hoses and belts old? ac work? run hot at idle? hot at load? Exhaust leaks at manifold? engine oil cooler beat up? vacuum lines old and brittle? quadrajet - does it stall/bog down with sudden full throttle while below 1500 rpm? air cleaner cold air duct missing?
8) someone wiggle steering wheel while you look at steering components - any play?
9) shocks old?
10) front bags flat?
11) batteries age? there are 3
12) brake pads need replacing? assuming brakes work.
13) speedometer bouncing - speedo cable failing.
14) instruments work?
15) cruise work?
16) power steering/brakes resevoir level unchanging? (leaks)
17) hold a dollar bill semi firmly accross the tail pipe. It should steady blow outward with steady pulsing. If it sucks in repeatedly, an exhaust valve may be burnt, but a rich fuel mix can do it also.
18)

ladi ladi da
Old 09-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
stick a volt meter on the battery to see what the alternator is putting out.
Check under the dash to see how the wiring looks, if its been rigged it can be a nightmare to fix.