Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Motorhome Owners Group:

I hear a lot of disparaging comments about motorhomes. In fact only a few years ago the big fight was whether to let motorhomes into the club. Now I hear ridicule of someone who owns one of the fibre glass Airstreams. Often times I find that these proud owners have saved and worked their way up from Airstream trailers to their new pride and joy. Well, I guess some folks are snobs and others are just jealous.

Is there any interest in forming a group of motorhome owners? Our rallys wouldn't be as big, but it could still be interesting to compare improvments and additions that we have made to our units. I for one would enjoy meeting some of you who have solved the same problems that I have dealt with and see the work that you have done as well.

It doesn't have to be a sub unit of WBCCI. We could form our own group right on the forum.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I hear a lot of disparaging comments about motorhomes. In fact only a few years ago the big fight was whether to let motorhomes into the club. Now I hear ridicule of someone who owns one of the fibre glass Airstreams. Often times I find that these proud owners have saved and worked their way up from Airstream trailers to their new pride and joy. Well, I guess some folks are snobs and others are just jealous.

Is there any interest in forming a group of motorhome owners? Our rallys wouldn't be as big, but it could still be interesting to compare improvments and additions that we have made to our units. I for one would enjoy meeting some of you who have solved the same problems that I have dealt with and see the work that you have done as well.

It doesn't have to be a sub unit of WBCCI. We could form our own group right on the forum.
cooperhawk---I agree that a Motorhome club might be in order. Your statement about "moving up from Airstream trailers to Motor Homes" is a perfect example of the snobbery you mention. As to jealousy I think you may think a bit to highly of yourself. ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Well Mike, I surely didn't mean to draw your ire. I understand the pride that trailer owners feel for their units. I too have owned an Airstream trailer that I was quite proud of.

I also know personnaly several WBCCI members who traveled for years in trailers that they lovingly maintained and also served as Officers of the club doing many chores that not many are willing to do. And when they finally retired they sold their homes and went full timeing and then they traded their trailers for expensive motorhomes manufactured by Airstream and they feel the same pride in them that they felt for their trailers.

Now, whether you find your pride in a trailer or a motorhome shouldn't make all that much difference if they both meet Airstream quality standards and are manufactured by Airstream, now should it?

Now suddenly these folks who have been members of and worked diligently for the WBCCI for many years are being slighted for one reason or another and their rigs that they are so proud of are called things like flat sided, Fibreglass SOB's. Comments are also heard about how will the rich members of the Regional and National Offices find new units now.

I find this a sad commentary for the club.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I personally have always felt that Airstream motor homes, at least the ones truly manufactured by Airstream, are every bit as much an Airstream as any other product manufactured by Airstream. I put the caveat in there because I have been participating in a thread lately about Thor's decision to start labeling some Mandalay Bay motor homes as Airstream motor homes and have been swayed to think that they shouldn't be accepted as Airstreams. I love the Classic Airstream Motor homes and if I were in the motor home market, I would love to own one myself. But, a trailer suited our needs better so we went with one and I am happy with our decision.

But always remember, when it comes to pride of ownership, the grass is always greener on my side of the fence. In other words, if I owned a motor home, that would be the best Airstream product to own. For those who own travel trailers, that is the best product to own. It's taking the exclusivity of owning an Airstream to the next level.

As I said earlier, I think all real Airstreams are members of the same family.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
It's taking the exclusivity of owning an Airstream to the next level. As I said earlier, I think all real Airstreams are members of the same family.
I appreciate the kind words. I have a friend who has already traded in his Airstream Land Yacht (spelling?), and bought a Winnebago Pusher Diesel and is lost to the club. He was simply tired of hearing the remarks. He had owned more than one Airstream and for many years had participated in rallys and caravans.

I have owned several trailers, some SOB's too, but as I get older I find the motorhome is easier to travel in. It's just my preference.

I would probably want to upgrade someday into a bigger and newer unit and what will there be available?

I do believe that Thor recognizes that the name Airstream stands for quality and would protect that reputation. I would hope that they will come up with something to replace older motorhomes with, and still maintain the quality.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
If you read this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ome-29002.html
you will see what I mean about "real" Airstream motor homes. Now at first, I didn't hold a position one way or the other. But as I participated in the thread, I began to lean a little more toward the purest definition of Airstream.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Yes, I have read that thread.

Wouldn't it be ironic if some of the very people who do all the work and run the club, would be found not to be eligable because the units they buy don't fit into the mental image others have of what they shoud buy.

It is a lot of the retired full timers that do a lot of the work and they do buy a lot of high end motorhomes. Keep in mind that most of these folks have been long time members and contributed much. I would venture to say that they have contributed much much more to the club than most of their critics.

In the end, the club will evolve or die. It's future depends on the charactor of the members. If we all embrace multi-culturism that will destroy the group quicker than anything else. Who was it that said, "hang together or hang seperately". Well, no one will hang, but all this derision drives the group apart.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I would be interested in getting together with other MH owners. Could be a new group or part of another rally.

If the stars aligned properly, I'd even be willing to travel a substantial distance to hook up with a group of other motorhomers.

On the other topic of this thread, I don't look up or down at anyone else or their rig. But I can see why a club might want to define eligibility for membership in a manner to maximize shared experience. I therefore think it would be perfectly reasonable to have an "trailer only" group or a "rounded aluminum" only group or a "made by Airstream" only group. BUT it seems to me that it would be more reasonable to grandfather former Airstream owners than to admit a re-badged SOB. Exactly what does the re-badged SOB owner have in common with Airstream owners except that he has owned an Airstream and been a member?

Also, the acrimony that comes up in these discussion with all of the charges of power trips and arrogance is one reason I tend to steer clear of formal organizations.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I would enjoy that as well. I am retired, but my wife is not ready to stop working, (she enjoys what she does), so we can't travel a great deal, but if we could set up something for a few days, I may be able to persuade her to take some time off. She likes to travel as well.

What she actually does is take her work with her. With the internet she doesn't need to be in her office all the time.

Anybody else with a motorhome interested?

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we had the original Classic Motorhome Rally and a follow up at Mystic Springs AS Park 5 years ago,,,,6 motorhomes and 1 trailer.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Anybody else with a motorhome interested?
As the proud owners of a new (to us) 1990 Land Yacht, yes!

Makes no difference to us wherther an Airstreamer owns a trailer or a motorhome -- an Airstream is an Airstream!

Time to quit bickering and stand together!
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Well Mike, I surely didn't mean to draw your ire. I understand the pride that trailer owners feel for their units. I too have owned an Airstream trailer that I was quite proud of.

I also know personnaly several WBCCI members who traveled for years in trailers that they lovingly maintained and also served as Officers of the club doing many chores that not many are willing to do. And when they finally retired they sold their homes and went full timeing and then they traded their trailers for expensive motorhomes manufactured by Airstream and they feel the same pride in them that they felt for their trailers.

Now, whether you find your pride in a trailer or a motorhome shouldn't make all that much difference if they both meet Airstream quality standards and are manufactured by Airstream, now should it?

Now suddenly these folks who have been members of and worked diligently for the WBCCI for many years are being slighted for one reason or another and their rigs that they are so proud of are called things like flat sided, Fibreglass SOB's. Comments are also heard about how will the rich members of the Regional and National Offices find new units now.

I find this a sad commentary for the club.
The fact that you didn't mean to doesn't change the fact your comments reek with this motor home elitist attitude when you speak of "trading up to a motor home". Quite frankly it ticks me off to put it mildly. Not only did the WBCCI change it's rules to alow Motor Home in, now those who drive them feel there is a Class distinction between them and trailers.

As to those who have worked so hard for the club. What on earth does that have to do with the idenity of a vehicle. Am I to assume that when these, now, to decrepit to hitch, become, to decrepit to drive a motor home, that we'll be asked to allow Buicks into the club. ---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
I appreciate the kind words. I have a friend who has already traded in his Airstream Land Yacht (spelling?), and bought a Winnebago Pusher Diesel and is lost to the club. He was simply tired of hearing the remarks. He had owned more than one Airstream and for many years had participated in rallys and caravans.

Coop:
Was that the guy from the park in Clear Lake? He sold his rig WAY TOO CHEAP! I wish I had found his ad before he sold it this fall.

JB
Old 01-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
Come on guys, lighten up and think about it. Coop just made a suggestion that maybe some MH folks would like to get together. Yeah, I agree, his "Moving up" comment was one that could be taken badly, but I am sure he wasn't trying to be a snob. Let's keep things friendly and not roll this into a split over whether we have a drive shaft in our Airstream or not. We all love our units and I also have had one of both, purchased from my in laws, so I can appreciate both styles of camping. (I actually liked the versitility and simplicity of components of the trailer better, but a really big oak tree right across the top made short work of that.)
Let's keep cool heads and not fight over something really not worth fighting about and enjoy talking about our Airstreams.

JB
Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Thank you JB! I think that an Airstream is an Airstream. My next Airstream will most likely be equipted with a drive shaft. We have a MH signed up for the 4CU Rally next month and I am looking forward to checking it out.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Thank you JB! I think that an Airstream is an Airstream. My next Airstream will most likely be equipted with a drive shaft. We have a MH signed up for the 4CU Rally next month and I am looking forward to checking it out.
Your in luck az, there are going to be two moho's next week at 29 Palms!!
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #17
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Coop..I for one think it's a great idea. I like Airstreams and I like motorhomes and I like camping. Is there anything else I need to qualify?

TWIMC - don't misinterpret the term "trade up". It's common to use this phrase when talking about moving from one class of RV "Fifth Wheel" to another such as "Class A" or from an older year to a new year. Typically is has to do with the money involved in the transaction (up) or a year (up) or model (up) improvement. It does not necessarily imply anything other than that. If you need to make an issue out of it...it's your issue alone.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
Your in luck az, there are going to be two moho's next week at 29 Palms!!
You have a mid 80's 345? That is just what I am think will be my next AS! Now, if I can find a low milage diesel in mint condition for $15,000 . Should I bring my checkbook?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
You have a mid 80's 345? That is just what I am think will be my next AS! Now, if I can find a low milage diesel in mint condition for $15,000 . Should I bring my checkbook?
Well, we don't have a diesel, and if I sold it for 15, Deb would make me go with it. See you in a week. Ron
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #20
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Coop..I for one think it's a great idea. I like Airstreams and I like motorhomes and I like camping. Is there anything else I need to qualify?

TWIMC - don't misinterpret the term "trade up". It's common to use this phrase when talking about moving from one class of RV "Fifth Wheel" to another such as "Class A" or from an older year to a new year. Typically is has to do with the money involved in the transaction (up) or a year (up) or model (up) improvement. It does not necessarily imply anything other than that. If you need to make an issue out of it...it's your issue alone.
Thanks, Of course that's how I meant it. Most of my Airstream friends have very nice trailers.
JBK, nope, that was another one I guess.
Mike, Sorry you're offended buddy. You might want to think about it a little.

VFW, LEGION, NRA