Old 01-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Maybe already?

Coop,
I was at the Perry GA, FMCA rally a couple of years ago and, I think, I remember a couple of guys driving Airstreams, approaching me wanting to know if I was interested in being a member of the Airstream group. I'm almost positive one already exists. I do know that the Freightliner Owners have a chapter,and it was not listed on the link that you gave. I am a member of it (Freightliner gives 10% off on parts and service to members and the cost is $10 per annum!) A contact to FMCA might enlighten us.
I live so far from all you guys who have been talking, I won't try to influence your meeting place, however, I'm so mad I could chew nails. Not only do I drive a fiberglass box Airstream motorhome, but I also pull a Buick as my TOWED! My feelings are way out on my shoulder and I'm just steaming! How dare some of these posters to say things about me being decrepid! (I'm 55 and loving this!)

WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
moho's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
You know, that's a great idea. I didn't even think of a sub group in FMCA. I already belong to that organization and maybe that's the way to go. Something like an orphans club for Airstream, Avion, and Argosy motorhomes. I'll have to do some checking on the FMCA bylaws.

Maybe just a club for vintage motorhomes. I wonder in three years when my unit is twenty five years old, how the VAC is going to react. We would of course welcome associate members with trailers and so on. Whoever is interested.
gee copperhawk you think your moho is old? what about mine, it's a 1977 Argosy.100,00 miles on it.
I like the idea that we all can get along and go camping. I've learned a lot of things reading about the problems of airstream owners have that I"ve had in my moho.and repaired.execellent advice applies to all campers .
as far as trading up or down WHO cares what they own,the main thing is that you are supposed to be having FUN camping in a silver tube or a square box. just go and have fun people.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #45
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
It just seems to me that some folks need to step back from how they percieve others feel about their style of RV. Going "up" in the RV world means size not status. Choose what makes you happy and be happy with it.

I'm sure your trailer is worth many times the value of my unit and most other Airstream motorhomes on the road unless they are fairly new. That's why this stuff gets so juvenile. All I'm doing is keeping a relic on the road although it has become a hobby with me.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #46
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
How dare some of these posters to say things about me being decrepid! (I'm 55 and loving this!)
Hey Steelbird, You and I retired from the same occupation. I was at the Minneapolis ARTCC and retired in 2000 with thirty five years. I also spent fifteen years in ZDC.

Where did you work?

Also the guy that called me decrepit is the same age as me.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
goingcamping;
Thank you. You are welcome to drive my MH anytime your heart desires and we would love to camp with folks like you,
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Coop,
I retired in Aug 2002 from ZTL. Prior to that ZDC, ZJX, and ZME. I worked a stint in International Flow Control. Change kept it from getting boring.
After working 9/11, I told my bride that I thought we would quit and travel a while. Univ of OK has the contract for training at the acadamy. I was a training sup for a while, and as a result, they have offered a job several times, but I haven't chosen that path yet. Going to China in FEB, we do the early workers tours at the International WBCCI rally, and then after that, we're going to Newfoundland, I think the name is the Viking Trail caravaan. Whew, how dod we have time to work?
IO ( would you still answer to your initials? A lot of my coworkers never knew my name, I don't think!)
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #49
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
My initials were CW on the east coast and CO in Minneapolis. The only IO that I knew I trained in ZDC. I know about Oak City, but you know more money won't buy more time to live. I really enjoy being retired and just don't want to do the grind anymore. My wife the Attorney however, isn't ready to retire yet, so that slows me down a little.

Haven't done it for a couple years, but we often travel to Florida to visit her family and probably pass close by you.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:

I'm sure your trailer is worth many times the value of my unit and most other Airstream motorhomes on the road unless they are fairly new. That's why this stuff gets so juvenile. All I'm doing is keeping a relic on the road although it has become a hobby with me.
I've always been impressed by the folks who can keep a vintage on the road. It's gotta be love.

It would be a boring world if all the Moho's, Class B's, vintage trailers, square stream trailers and Moho's disapeared. Thats why A/S's are so much more fun than SOB's that don't last as long as a general rule. With Airstream you get 75 years of variations to appreciate and enjoy.

Its supposed to be about the fun, friendship and camping not the cost or type of Airstream you have.

Now I really will be quiet.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #51
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Thats why A/S's are so much more fun than SOB's that don't last as long as a general rule. With Airstream you get 75 years of variations to appreciate and enjoy.
Its supposed to be about the fun, friendship and camping not the cost or type of Airstream you have.
Absolutely correct. I have an aviation background and the old airstreams are built very much like old aircraft. God only knows how many years I can keep my old rig on the road, but I'll bet that barring some catostrophe, it will go for a long time. The neat thing is all the upgrading one can do to the oriigingal unit.
Ironically, Airstream moved to the fibre glass motor homes and now the aircraft industry is moving along the same line. I recently went to a Very Light Jet show and everything there was a composite. I think it's only a matter of time until the Airstream trailers follow that lead. It will be a shame, but the composites are lighter, stronger, and cheaper to build. Cherish the riveted units because their time of manufacture may be limited, it costs a lot of money to install all those rivets.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
goingcamping;
Thank you. You are welcome to drive my MH anytime your heart desires and we would love to camp with folks like you,
bfred,

What a truly cool offer! Thank you very much. With any luck at all we will meet over a campfire and we'll have us a great time. Im really looking forward to that!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #53
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
This thread got lost somehow. Had to do a search for it. Okay, this is looking like it might happen. If you are interested in a Motorhome group, then e-mail me at jimcooper@cooperhawk.net
or check onto my bulletin board at http://www.cooperhawk.net.

This might be interesting.

VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 01-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #54
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
...I think it's only a matter of time until the Airstream trailers follow that lead. [move to fiberglass] It will be a shame, but the composites are lighter, stronger, and cheaper to build. Cherish the riveted units because their time of manufacture may be limited, it costs a lot of money to install all those rivets.
Actually, Wally Byam introduced fiberglass Airstreams in the early-mid 1950's and they were a huge flop. I don't think any survive today. IIRC, virtually none sold.

In my own bit of irony, I always thought the Argosys were fiberglass Airstreams when I was a kid because I never saw one close enough to see that they were riveted.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #55
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Stepping up is a fact...they are higher off the ground.
As far a price, our '89 was cheap compared to the TTs at Topsail last weekend.
Never a hint of a discouraging word.
We all had fun together.
Out of 38 +/- Airstreams, maybe 5 were MH, and yes we talked and swapped ideas, fact is, we all did.

We are heading to the Ballon Fest in New Mexico this October 2007.
If any MH are looking for a trip.
To plan a trip just for MH may be tough for the workers amoung us.
I enjoy seeing the campgrounds filled with TT at 'all are welcome rallys'

We are such a small part of the Airstream groups.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Silly me, I thought that an Airstream was anything made by a company called Airstream. While there were different materials used in some of them, they were all still Airstreams.

Sad to think that this may all be about our propensity to self-segregate.

Steve