Old 02-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
Anyone with Banks experience? On the maiden voyage from Amarillo to Lubbock the 1984 got 10MPG. 140 miles 14 gallons reg=10MPG Right?
We have a Banks system installed on our 1984 310 motorhome. On our 310 the Banks system consisted of tubular headers, one large muffler that exits the left side of the motorhome under the kitchen sink, a K&N air filter, air intake ram that fits down in front of the radiator and the tubing/hose from there to the filter housing on the carburetor. Oh yeah it also included the nifty Banks placards that fasten to the sides of the motorhome!

I can't say what if anything it did for the motorhome performance over stock because it was installed before we got the motorhome. I do know the performance of the engine (has about 16,000 miles on it) is pretty darn good. I'm fairly happy with its low end performance and the mileage is around 7 to 9 mpg depending on wind, etc. Keep in mind we never go anywhere in the motorhome without pulling a 3500 lb trailer with Triumph race car on it. We do lose speed in the mountains where we will typically have to drop down to about 45 but other than that performance is just fine.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
So now; do I go for all pipes down the driver-side (allows space for a second Propane tank - a smaller narrow one between drive shaft and chassis for domestic L/gas and replace the existing Propane tank with the same size if not larger one with bottom take off for engine conversion) Or join up the pipe again, or do away with it altogether!

Any thoughts ? Chaps? mmmmm?
Chuck,

Our 310 has one muffler and its on the drivers side exiting under the kitchen. Its part of the Banks exhaust system. I like it because all the stuff hangs off one side and leaves the other side clear.

Brad

Old 02-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #115
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Brad, I like your choice of manifolds and carbs. that should make a big difference in performance and mileage. That's what I have in the back of my mind for my rig. What models of Triumph do you race? I used to run a Triumph TR-3A.
Mike
Old 02-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad, I like your choice of manifolds and carbs. that should make a big difference in performance and mileage. That's what I have in the back of my mind for my rig. What models of Triumph do you race? I used to run a Triumph TR-3A.
Mike
Mike,

I'm really hoping the manifold/carb combo does the trick. I did a lot of reading and research before making my choice. Time will tell

My wife races a 1967 Triumph Spitfire. I'm crew chief and head mechanic . We own several Triumph street cars, 1961 TR4, !968 Spitfire, 1949 Roadster and a 1980 TR7. We've got a few other antiques as well, enough to keep me busy until I'm to old to turn a wrench.

At one point I was building a TR3 vintage race car but ended up selling it after looking at the costs involved in trying to race and then the up keep for two cars at the same time.

Brad
Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #117
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile Motorhome Mileage

Brad:
I envy you with a great escuderia like that. I had a 1958 Triumph and later a 1958 MGA that was a veteran of many SCCA race week-ends. We lived in Amarillo, Tx at the time. Due to the weather, it was my car in the winter and my wife's in the summer. She picked up 5 traffic tickets racing to the supermarket. I had a stage 3 engine in the MG so it wasn't too hard to get above the speed limit quickly. I miss those days.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad:
I envy you with a great escuderia like that. I had a 1958 Triumph and later a 1958 MGA that was a veteran of many SCCA race week-ends. We lived in Amarillo, Tx at the time. Due to the weather, it was my car in the winter and my wife's in the summer. She picked up 5 traffic tickets racing to the supermarket. I had a stage 3 engine in the MG so it wasn't too hard to get above the speed limit quickly. I miss those days.
Now why I wonder did you get the car in the winter......

We started out racing at TWS in 2000 and raced there for a number of years with CVAR. Unfortunately moving to Arkansas and now Kentucky has pretty much kept us away from that track.

There is no way Susan could drive her race Spitfire on the street. It only has 2-7/8" clearance from the front cross member to the road. She bottoms out from time to time on bad transitions.

Nice to hear someone else on the forums raced old British race cars. Another forum member races a Corvair, we ran across him at Black Hawk Farms last October.

Brad
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #119
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
The MG was murder to start in cold weather, and sometimes I would have to use the hand crank to start it. I never put the top up, always drove with the tonneau cover on the right side and the heater wide open. My wife drove the 2dr hardtop in winter because she didn't do the crank in the nose thing on the MG. Wish I still had the MG. Fun car.

Mike
Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
The MG was murder to start in cold weather, and sometimes I would have to use the hand crank to start it. I never put the top up, always drove with the tonneau cover on the right side and the heater wide open. My wife drove the 2dr hardtop in winter because she didn't do the crank in the nose thing on the MG. Wish I still had the MG. Fun car.
Hand cranks, ya gotta love em! I would imagine all the little British cars were fun cars.

My TR4 has that nice little feature as well. Hopefully I'll not have to use it.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #121
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
TRs had a better starter and shorter battery cables. They would start in cold weather where the MG had to be hand cranked in cold weather in Amarillo, Tx.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
TRs had a better starter and shorter battery cables. They would start in cold weather where the MG had to be hand cranked in cold weather in Amarillo, Tx.
I forgot the MGs had their batteries back in the boot (if I'm remembering correctly!) My 64 Sptifire never did have problems starting in cold weather, even in the winters in Nebraska.

Brad
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #123
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Yep, the batteries were just in front of the differential on either side of the driveshaft which meant battery cables long as a wellrope.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Oh, you guys.....
I am a Brit and look what I have in my Garage....

Che Bella Machina!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #125
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Motorhome Mileage

Nice Ride! Wish it was in my garage.
Mike
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Drive from Dodge City, Kansas to California.
Tank was reading a half full, so not reading for first leg.
Second leg which was from the texas border to West of Albuqueque, which we had a good headwind and lots of climbs on I54 to 7200' gave me 7.3mpg.
The next tankfull took us to Kingman, AZ, and that leg took us over the Continental Divide, at almost 9000', to El Morro National Monument. Then onto the Painted Desert and Petrified forest. That tank gave 7.85mpg.

Last leg was so easy, no headwind and less climbs than the rest, but a lot of stopstart traffic into Orange County, and genset use while I am stored, so I dont think the next reading will be better even tho the road use to that point would have probably broken thru the 8mpg.

The motor is a Jasper rebuild with 5500 miles on it, and the Banks power kit. The Banks intake is not on the engine as the PO says something is missing from it, so the engine was breathing thru a Edelbrock Pancake filter, so nothing but warm air! Also the fan is a fixed flexfan.