Old 06-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Walt,
Did you look for breakers in the coach? (This is another one where the manual will help you locate everything).

Any 310 owners out there that can help Walt locate all of the breakers?

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Hi Walt. Your shore power cord must be plugged into the outlet inside the locker where the cord is stored in order for the generator to power the ac. Sorry for such a long and rambling sentence but I hope you get the idea. I learned this from my experience of thinking my generator was broken. Good luck. joe

Old 06-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
On my 310 the 110v breakers are located aft, at the foot of the driver side bed behind a sliding door.

There is also a breaker under the passenger side bed which is hooked to the generator and is for the rear AC.

The transfer switch is located inside the compartment where the shore power cord is.

I don't have the same generator that you do but I would look in the generator compartment for some circuit breakes on the generator itself. Every generator I have ever seen has had them.

The rear AC should be powered directly by the generator but the front AC and the rest of the coach will be powered by a circuit which goes through the transfer switch. Also under the tambour, between the sink and the stove there should be a switch which energizes the microwave in one position and the front AC in the other.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 AM   #18
Mopar Madness

1982 31' Airstream310
Jefferson , Georgia
A Middle Aged Moment

Thanks for the suggestions on the generator everyone! I had located all the breakers and the junction box where the shore power and generator inputs are.

What I didn't find, until after I traveled up to an Onan service center 20 mi. away was the reset button... fun drive though since this thing handles unbelievably well for a bus!

So the guy checks ouput at the jct. box with a voltmeter, which I did last night, and gets nothing. Then he walks around to the GenSet and begins to explain the little white reset button on the right side of the unit...Dohhhhhh!!!
How did I miss that?

I did find out there is no way you can buck current between the two power systems since the relay only allows power from one or the other.

As near as I can figure, here's what happened. When I unintentionally switched on the shore power both AC units were running off the Genset and the my shop breaker tripped again. When the relay switched back to generator, the load of both runnig AC units came all at one time and the surge caused the GenSet to overload and pop it's reset button story and... at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I feel pretty chagrined about it all, stupid even, but it didn't cost me anything but some fuel and I learned something new about my MoHo. Plus, I bought a new air filter for the Onan.

One final note, I got my "service" manual yesterday. I must say it is probably one of the poorest manuals I've ever purchased, and I've got a lot of them: IH, CAT, Chiltons, etc.... It certainly was no help with this problem.
If youre expecting useful wiring diagrams and a detailed shop type manual, don't waste your time. BTW, there are no 110V diagrams and the 12V circuits are almost comical. My advice to anyone considering buying one is save your $85!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
I feel pretty chagrined about it all, stupid even, but it didn't cost me anything but some fuel and I learned something new about my MoHo. Plus, I bought a new air filter for the Onan.
Walt,
We've ALL done it. You're in good company

Yes, the manuals are weak, but as basic as they are I can say that they've helped me out of more than $85 of work on more than one occasion. This forum is, without a doubt, the best resource for DIY Airstreamers.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Walt, thanks for posting the solution. I'll file this info for future problems with my Onan. joe
Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Walt- this is the best place to get answers. I printed out the faqs and made a notebook to carry in my moho. It saved my a$$ many times.
After 5 yrs or so of cruising in a classic I can honestly say it gets better with experience. The problems you head off thru knowledge gained and maintenance done will make life much easier as you go down the road.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote