Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Unhappy Major Bummer!

Last Friday I backed my 1984 310 Limited into a sawed off light pole which I couldn't/didn't see in my mirror. It sawed of 2-3 feet off the ground. Why an RV furniture store would allow such a hazard in their parking lot is beyond me but that is beside the point.

The damage is to the battery drawer (driver side front) and the door that goes over this drawer. It seems that all of the damaged parts are heavy gauge steel and that no aluminum parts are involved.

Is this something that a competent RV body shop can repair or do I need to take it to an Airstream savvy place. I am many hundreds of miles from the nearest airstream dealer and I'm not even sure they would do this work.

If I do need to take it a long distance, who would you all recommend I'm in far Northern California, near Mount Shasta. Inland RV is 700 miles away, Los Banos is somewhat closer. Or do I need to head for Jackson Center?

Any ideas about where/how to get a replacement door for the battery compartment since I don't believe mine can be repaired.

Thanks for your input.
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Yes, contact Sutton's in Eugene OR. they can fix you up.
Great place and closer than SO. CAL.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Gary - I am trying to create my own Blue list of reputable AS dealers around the country in case of need when we finally get to spend some long distance travel time in our Moonunit. Would you mind posting the phone # and/or address of Sutton's? Oregon is one of the state our oldest son is looking at for college, so, who knows, we may be there sooner than we think. Thanks.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Gary, have you actually delt with Suttons? I was considering having them do some bellypan work on the Caravel, but I have only talked to people who had them do warrentee work on their new units. Do you have experience or know anyone who has had them work on their vintage unit?

Guy99, sorry to hear about your accident. We have found through word of mouth a very good non-AS RV shop in our area. You might ask around and see if anyone can reccomend someone and then see if they think they can fix it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Thumbs up happy with Geo Sutton

I just had Sutton RV repack my wheel bearings, adjust the brakes, re-seal all the plumbing vents on top, do the same for the skylight vent and install a Maxx-Air cover on it. They seem to have done an excellent job, were knowledgeable about the various sealants specific to Airstream, and were very timely in scheduling me in as well as communicating the need for some additional sealing which I really appreciated, considering that it is winter here in Oregon...
Old 11-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78
Gary - I am trying to create my own Blue list of reputable AS dealers around the country in case of need when we finally get to spend some long distance travel time in our Moonunit. Would you mind posting the phone # and/or address of Sutton's? Oregon is one of the state our oldest son is looking at for college, so, who knows, we may be there sooner than we think. Thanks.
Info: George Sutton's RV Address: 2400 W 7th St.
EUGENE, OR 97402 Phone541) 686-6296 Fax541) 434-9714 Internet:www.suttonrv.com

We have used Sutton's for parts but not service. They had the hard to find Minuet Beltline insert. They sold it at a respectable price and did not charge an arm and a leg for shipping and handleing.
I have also used them for parts at other times and have always been treated fairly by knowlagable personel.
Contact UsDriving Directions
Old 11-11-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Sutton Rv

Ok I don't like giving negatives without a positive sooo........

I purchased my Bambi from Sutton RV, at that time OKsales staff.

When my trailer had a tree fall on it they did the estimate, you would think that if a trailer was hit by a tree that there might be a chance that the roof would leak?????? Yeah well duh!

They (service guys) parked my coach outside without a tarp on it for 3 days during a rain storm that dumped 2 inches of rain and flooded the inside floor and stained the roof. Then when they determined it was a total and that the ins company was going to pick it up they lost the keys, umbilical, and jack stand lowering tool, I had to go confront them to get that stuff back. Needless to say I was very angry with there service.

But when I was putting it back together after the insurance totaled it they were very good about getting parts for me, especially Sean in the service department.

Sutton has only a few years of airstream expierence, as of this last Febuary there service department admitted they had never done any major airstream work, skins, ribs, real big jobs. So for brakes bearing and little things I think they are fine but for any major repair work I would go back to the factory or find a reputable metal fabrication shop.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
Airstream repair

My trailer has had much of it's maintenance done by Toscano. They've been good to work with. I've talked quite a bit with Sutton, and stopped by and talked to them some more, and they have always been very helpful, and have never seemed in a hurry. I plan on using Sutton for sealing seams in the future, because they are more convenient for me. Their shop is right on Highway 99 in Eugene.
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I took it to Sutton last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
Yes, contact Sutton's in Eugene OR. they can fix you up.
Great place and closer than SO. CAL.
So far my contact with them (phone and in person) suggests that they are nice folks who don't have any sense of urgency and kind just forget about follow up on unusual things.

I'm waiting on an estimate from them but they are waiting for Airstream to get back to them (since last Wednesday). Their approach is to ask Airstream what parts they need, then order them (if available), then install them if/when they arrive, then send it out for paint.

I also took it to an independent shop who planned to have the damaged parts made locally. The only issue is the 'rubber belt' and the trim that holds it which runs along the side of the MH along the junction between the lower (dark painted) part and the upper part of the motorhome. They don't have a source for airstream parts so they propose to replace with something "as close as they can get".

If I end up going with them (which I might have to if Sutton tells me the needed parts are NLA) I'd rather find a source for the real thing.

I' really appreciate any suggestions.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Have you called Airstream about this beltline? I've seen it on the shelf in rolls in Jackson Center. You could also call Inland RV?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I too have seen the belting in Jackson Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Have you called Airstream about this beltline? I've seen it on the shelf in rolls in Jackson Center. You could also call Inland RV?
But they told me that they only sell through dealers i.e. I can't just call them and order it. Also, I'm more worried about the metal trim piece that hold the beltline.

Regarding Inland RV, I haven't called them about this but I have previously called and emailed them but received no reply. One other time I called and spoke with a very nice lady. I have also read about some folks on the forum having trouble with returns. OTOH, I know that Andy contributes allot to the forum and that many folks have very good luck with Inland. So I guess I'm somewhat gun shy. Do you know the secret to getting the 'good' Inland RV?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #12
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Strange about not selling direct....they had it in their "store" up there. When I called AS about a replacement window they didn't seem to have a problem selling it to me. Try calling and asking for service. Explain the situation and see if they will ship it to you. Other than that try the closest AS dealership and tell them you need it for a restoration.

I've not ordered from Andy (yet). The one time I called them they answered my question right away.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
Try these folks they supposedly have a huge warehouse full of AS stuff.
That belt line trim is on all of our units in black or blue.

camper repair center / montevella Alabama. tel 205-665-2531 .

ASK FOR SONNY
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
i realize this is an old post but i just found it. when we were at jackson center last july they sold us a roll of beltline from their parts dept. they explained that a/s will sell you anything available if you walk in, however they will not ship any parts because they recommend that you go thru your local a/s dealer for all shipped parts.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote