Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
LaGrange , Ohio
Magnum Charger/GFI No Power

I have a 2016 Airstream Grand tour. The GFI keeps tripping. The Magnum converter/charger has power but will not turn on. This I know because the remote has power. None of the GFI outlets have power. Batteries are charged up and yes I'm plugged in to shore power. Any suggestions as to what is happening?
RacingMan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
On my 2012 Interstate, the GFCI circuit is protected by a GFCI breaker— but one outlet on the GFCI circuit also has its own built-in GFCI. So if the breaker trips, I not only have to reset the breaker, but also reset the outlet (located behind the driver's seat on mine; not sure where it would be on a Grand Tour). Even if nothing is plugged into that particular outlet.

Having two GFCI's on the same circuit is bad practice— because the "upstream" GFCI can mistake the "downstream" GFCI for a ground fault— but Airstream did it anyway.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

LaGrange , Ohio
The 2016 GFI outlets don't have a breaker. There is one breaker and it's below the drivers side jump seat. The breaker is a switch.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Clarification questions:

1. You say the remote has power. What kind of power? The remote shows power with a 12V source, it is not necessary to have a 110VAC source.

2. Have you checked your automatic transfer switch? From what you are describing, I question if the ATS is working correctly.

3. Do you receive power to outlets when using your generator? (Assuming you have one) If so, that would confirm the ATS, but I would still test it. If you are not skilled around 110VAC I do not recommend learning with this as you can electrocute yourself.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

LaGrange , Ohio
1. With the generator running I have no power with the three GFI outlets.

2. I have power at the outlets that are non GFI.

3. I would agree with you that it seems to be the automatic transfer switch. The inverter was working fine until I switched off the power and when I turned all power on again the inverter would not wakeup. The button to turn it on is no responsive.

3. The remote is on when there is power but ass you said it's probably working off the battery.

Any suggestions? I don't know where the ATS is. Anybody know?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingMan10 View Post
I have a 2016 Airstream Grand tour. The GFI keeps tripping. The Magnum converter/charger has power but will not turn on. This I know because the remote has power. None of the GFI outlets have power. Batteries are charged up and yes I'm plugged in to shore power. Any suggestions as to what is happening?

A couple weeks ago my inverter would not turn on. I thought “inverter failure” and ordered a new one.

It turns out that in the installation of my fancy America aluminum patch that we drilled through a wire that goes to an outlet and created a short circuit.

The inverter reacted far quicker to the short than the circuit breaker, which did not trip until I was hooked to more conventional power.

Do you have a short somewhere maybe, or is your inverter just failing? Hard to say from here, but some food for thought to keep you from replacing an inverter that is working perfectly like I did.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

LaGrange , Ohio
The GFI switch keeps tripping. I can reset it and its fine for an hour or two and then it will suddenly trip for no reason. I could not get it to trip when I had the inverter panel switch on only plus the GFI switch.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

LaGrange , Ohio
I found the automatic transfer switch under the rear sofa drivers side. I tapped on it with a soft hammer. No luck.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Magnum Charger/GFI No Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingMan10 View Post
I found the automatic transfer switch under the rear sofa drivers side. I tapped on it with a soft hammer. No luck.

If you have power on the non-GFI outlets when on generator your problem is not the transfer switch. Could be a bad GFI unit - they do go bad.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

LaGrange , Ohio
I still haven't found the answer to this. Any one have any suggestions? No GFI and the Magnum charger/inverter will not wake up.