Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
To Late to Turn Back Now! My New Interior Begins!

Well I took the plunge. We had the AS home this weekend for some minor little things and because we felt like we needed to remind our lovely neighbors that we still owned it when Suzanne said "why don't you just rip up the rug and get started?" Well I did and I'm way into it now.

Despite a few moments of doubt the removal of the rug and sofa went pretty well. I also managed to strip and clean just enough vinyl off of the interior aluminum walls to motivate me to continue with this stripping idea.

I also removed the sleeper sofa in preparation for a complete makeover.

I've attached a few pics of today's destruction. My plan is to redo the the interior in roughly eight foot "rooms" moving from front to back. Right now it's "living room" time, next the dinette, then kitchen (big one) then bath, then shower and finally bedroom (another big one).

I figure this will keep me [somewhat] sane as I can see my progress in smaller "complete-able" steps and keep the MH relatively "usable" for longer periods of time. I do think that completely gutting it would have it's advantages but with my schedule I know that much work in front of me would will kill my motivation and the project. I also lack the space in the garage to store everything and still have room for the upholstery and cabinetry building.

I'll try and keep posting pics as thing progress. The goal is to have the living room done before a scheduled trip back east in late March - seems reasonable.

BTW – we’re going for a pseudo CCD look inside with some minor modifications to the floorplan. Nothing that requires relocating existing systems, just re-shaping a few things here and there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-04 living room removed.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	4482  
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
sofa removed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-04 sofa removed.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	4483  
Old 01-18-2004, 06:46 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Can't wait to see more. The neighbors are going to love you! Are you really planning to strip off all the vinyl, or just here and there?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Memories!

Steven:

Does THAT pic bring back some recent memories.

Give me a call if you run up against something, mine looked exactly as yours does in the pic in March of 2003.

One recommendation - if you're going to change out the cockpit carpet, do it now. The captains chairs are much easier to remove and replace now that everything is out, and the carpet on the riser adjacent to couch is impossible to get to when the couch is installed.

Carpeting the cockpit was relatively easy, as was installing the carpet on the doghouse. I just carpeted over the existing carpet on the doghouse. More sound and thermal insulation.

On the walls, a slight difference with the 87, I have removeable panels. The recovering of the panels (just 1/8" pressed board) went really slick. Took the panels off, took them in the house, and recovered with a good quality linen on the dining room table.

You might even consider similar panels for your "CCD" look. Find the covering you want, and install the new surface as panels directly over the existing walls. That's what I plan to do in the shower and bath (I hope to find some Aluminum finished panels).

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Me too

I have been doing exactly the same thing for the last three days. I will post some photos to compare messes.
I cant even find the tools anymore.

I have finished the hardwood floor and I finished the forward section with new carpet today. I will be moving into the bedroom tomorrow.

The seats were easy enough to get out but going back in was a real bear.
I installed padding under the carpet in the interest in dampening engine noise. The pad was enough to make the seat bolts short for re-installation.

My Butt muscles are killing me from bending over for two days.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Friendly Neighbors

Stephen:

What do you in tend to install on the floor?

Pergo? Carpet ? Wood or cork?

For the cockpit carpet, I picked up a roll end of really fine quality carpet for next to nothing. Had enough left over to make runners for the rest of the coach.

FWIW, I put a couple of coats of KILZ over the OSB prior to covering. The first was thinned to soak into the OSB. Besides sealing any odors in, it will prevent most mold cultures from propagating.

As you are probably aware, I did not replace the bucket chairs or curbside table. Don't miss them a bit. The floor space is well utilized for "temporary in transit storage". I figured I could always put something there later on. I still have not decided on an entertainment center or TV screen (flat panel?) layout as of yet.

As far as the disposal of the old carpet, if your trash pickup is Thursday, put it out on Friday morning. That way your neighbor’s view of the ‘Stream will be partially blocked by the stack of old carpet for almost a week. I am sure they will thank you for being so thoughtful for hiding, as far as you are able, that 8 ton eyesore.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 01-18-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Screw the neighbors!

I've decided that despite my best efforts to be a good neighbor I am not surrounded by any. Trash night is tonight so I'll put the carpet out tomorrow

Stephanie,
It's all or nothin! We are going for the CCD look and were very happy to find out there was aluminum behind that mid eighties vinyl. It's all coming off from stem to stern. I cleaned up one little 12" spot and can't wait to do more. It's too bad they covered up all of that shiny stuff in the first place. Although unless I can get my hands on some of that Napier stripper soon I'm thinking about drilling out those panels and replacing them (kidding - this project is on a budget). Stripping this stuff takes some serious time.

Smiley,
I'll race ya!

Dennis,
Glad to hear someone's been here already! Always nice to have a cell-mate in the asylum. The floor is in decent shape but I do plan to put down ¼” luan plywood the cover the OSB (I like the Kilz idea) and serve as a new base for the black Armstrong commercial tile we are installing. We saw something similar in a trailer from Vintage Vacations and loved it. We wanted a dark floor to anchor the design (Pergo and others are very nice too but didn’t match with our design ideas). We camp with our three kids so carpet in general was out ) and this material give us a durable surface that’s easy to keep clean. I hope to have the flooring done in this section by next weekend.

OK – remember, you asked about the cabinet and TV: I plan to re-install the aft barrel chair (re-upholstered) and build a new media cabinet that will occupy the space where the forward chair and previous TV cabinet was located. This way I can re-use the 110 outlet in the cabinet and the TV and speaker hook-ups. My plan is to install a PC in there running Windows Media Center and two LCD screens; a 20” in the cabinet and a 13” in the dash. This will become the heart of the media and navigation systems for the AS adding GPS Nav, Tivo functionality, an MP3 server, DVD player and multi-channel sounds for a six speaker surround sound system (maybe even XM someday). I’d like to package into something like what they did in the class b interstate.

Good advice on the cockpit. I was planning on waiting but maybe I’ll attack the flooring now while everything is all apart. Thinking about a commercial grade carpet, something low pile. Also plan to cover the “kick” or “step” in an aluminum sheet.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2004, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Unhappy Able to strip the vinyl???

We're getting ready to rehab a 78 Overlander that I'm buying tomorrow, or Tues, as the holiday may only allow. The rehab is for my aunt who wants an ultra modern Ralph Lauren look. Ultra-suede, and aluminum...

The disaster of an interior will take a whirlwind of a change to get the 70's look out of there. (Did I mention we never even thought of Airstreams until we bought our 68 Safari last week..)

Would love to know about the alternatives for the ugly yellowy walls.

You guys are great! can't beleive how much help you all are!!
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Laptop

Steven:

Great idea on the laptop. Great minds think alike.

I just purchased a Sony Viao last week for exactly the same reason. Also purchased a "police" mount for the laptop - out of a retired cop car, really solid hold down, and should swing enough that both the driver and co-pilot could use it.

I'm still leaning on mounting the laptop at the drivers console, and driving a plasma (or other thin screen) TV in the cabin area, but your idea of mounting the laptop in the new entertainment area certainly has merit. Since a buddy of mine lost his toad on the Alaskan Highway and didn't realize it, I have installed a "full time" rearview monitor in addition to the backup monitor, so panel space is at a premium.

I am just about finished with the granite top in the sink area. Found some 1 cm tiles that exactly match the granite slab I used for the dinette table.

Next will be the redo of the instrument panel. I have a full scale ACAD drawing of the proposed instrument layout. Plan to study the drawing in "real time" for a bit prior to having cut outs made in the aluminum panel. A bit like IFR training in a simulator.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 01-19-2004, 06:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
I have installed a "full time" rearview monitor in addition to the backup monitor, so panel space is at a premium.
There are some lcd's out there with a bunch of inputs. I've got one that has RCA, computer and cable hook ups. Push a button and flip between the different ones, saves a lot of space.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
....plan to cover the “kick” or “step” in an aluminum sheet.

Steven:

Just a thought here.....I don't know how old your kids are, but...

My riser tends to get a lot of abuse. I have kicked it several times, ran things into it, and generaly have not treated it with the respect it deserves.

Just pointing this out to indicate how easily (IMHO), an aluminum riser could be dented. A riser finished with your floor tiles would tie everything together. Also, there is not much room between the rear of the dog house and the edge of the riser. A carpeted riser made this area very easy to handle.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 01-19-2004, 06:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
......Push a button and flip between the different ones, saves a lot of space.

John:

Great idea. The older I get, the more I need all the help I can get to clear my brain farts.

Thanks again, I'll post my layout of the new panel for the Forum to review prior to making any cuts. I may well have overlooked some painfully obvious requirements, and others may well have a better idea of how to "fit" more efficiently.

The AB keeps wondering when the cash outflow will start to taper off, but when I remind her of how expensive other hobbies could be, she concedes that maybe the aluminum mistress is not all that expensive. Besides, the interior (living area) is very close to completion, meaning I will not have it torn up as much in order to accomplish my "putterings".

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 01-19-2004, 07:02 AM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
As a FORMER...

325 owner, I'm reading about your progress with great interest. You guys' imagination and innovative approaches never cease to amaze me! It just would never have occured to me to try what you guys are doing.

Dennis & Stephen, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE post more photos!

Thanks all!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Re: Able to strip the vinyl???

Quote:
Originally posted by tin can luv
We're getting ready to rehab a 78 Overlander that I'm buying tomorrow, or Tues, as the holiday may only allow. The rehab is for my aunt who wants an ultra modern Ralph Lauren look. Ultra-suede, and aluminum...

The disaster of an interior will take a whirlwind of a change to get the 70's look out of there. (Did I mention we never even thought of Airstreams until we bought our 68 Safari last week..)

Would love to know about the alternatives for the ugly yellowy walls.

You guys are great! can't beleive how much help you all are!!
Hey Tin Can,

On HGTV, there was an episode that aired back in August about a 72 Airstream that was redone in a way deluxe manner. It turned out gorgeous, and used ultra-suade banquet seating in a large semi-circle all the way around the front of the trailer. Blue mini-square glass tiles in the bath, the best materials, it was unbelievable how much functionality they put into that thing while still using these cushy materials. It's eposide TSS-505, and I don't know if you could order a copy, but it'd probably be worth looking at for inspiration. I have a copy on VHS, but don't have 2 vcr's anymore to make a copy for you.
Brad

Edit: Here's still shots of the interior:
http://www.powellandbonnell.com/port...eam/air_1.html
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Blue mini-square glass tiles in the bath.....

re The Trailer Redo.

Wowie Zowie -- How much weight was added to the bath!!!

The granite I used added almost two hundred pounds to the gross weight of the 345, but the whole rear bath in tile? With the required backing board, water barrier, grout, and adhesive?

They bragged about the functionality, but what about the roadability?

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 01-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Unhappy Re: Blue mini-square glass tiles in the bath.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 87MH
re The Trailer Redo.

Maybe they were planning some chassis mods like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2455264109

Shades of "Return to Thunderdome"

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Re: Blue mini-square glass tiles in the bath.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 87MH
re The Trailer Redo.

The granite I used added almost two hundred pounds to the gross weight of the 345, but the whole rear bath in tile? With the required backing board, water barrier, grout, and adhesive?

I'm waiting on a response to an e-mail I sent to the company. They should tell me where it is now, and if it was for a client who was planning on actually towing it, or if it was just for show/sitting still. We shall see...
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Congrats on the brave and creative projects. Wondered if the tile flooring might not be kind of cold underfoot, but still anxious to see it once its installed.
Also if you pull off the vinyl from the walls will the aluminum be able to have a finished look?
In any event, its great to see the variety of ideas that are always shown here.
I am one who hopes that the soon to be new Airstream Classic MH will have a ccd type interior available.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:16 PM   #19
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Wondered if the tile flooring might not be kind of cold underfoot, but still anxious to see it once its installed.
Alan - I'm a little worries about this too. I'm planning to seal the OSB (per Dennis' recommendation) and then I'm adding 1/4" luan, then 1/8" tile. I'm hoping that any coolness can be handled by the heaters quickly and that the benfits of a quick clean and good looks outweight the coolness - or this that cool-ness.

I love that tile look. I wonder if you could repro that in plastic panels instead of actual tile.

Quote:
My riser tends to get a lot of abuse. I have kicked it several times, ran things into it, and generaly have not treated it with the respect it deserves.
Dennis - maybe diamond plate?
Old 01-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Diamond Plate?

Steven:

Yeah, I would suppose that I would opt for diamond plate over smooth aluminum. There are certainly enough diamond plated tool boxes in the back of PU's that do not show every dent. It was just my thought that shiney aluminum would magnify the holidays (bumps and nicks) in the vertical riser.

Remember the Golden Rule. He who pays the Gold makes the Rules. Go for it!!

The tile looks great.

About the temperature - tile vs other - I really don't think it will matter one bit unless you plan on doing a lot of cold weather camping. Down here, we have the opposite problem, -- trying to find weekends that are not too hot!

I have found that the smooth floor is SO much easier to keep clean. The Pergo actually does not offer enough purchase for the dogs to safely manuver on, so I have throw rugs (binded remnants of the cockpit carpet) throughout the entire coach. Works great! - I just roll them up, take them outside, and shake the unavoidable dirt from them.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737