Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Little issue with LP system but resolved

A few days ago I decided to do a general systems check before our maiden voyage to the Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta on the 16th. Everything checked out fine until I got to the LP systems. I had a difficult time getting the furnace to fire up. I then found that the water heater would not light either. Next I tried the stove and that was the most revealing. As I fired each burner up, I noticed that the flames on the others got lower and lower as I added burners. I could not get all 4 to light at the same time. I checked the LP level and it was full. I then reset the tank valve and turned it back on slowly. Still no glory.

So now I was 2 weeks from my departure and no LP!!!! Local RV center said they would take me on Sat but could not guarantee that the parts I needed would be here in time. The diagnosis alone would have cost $100. Looks like I’m on my own…

The current Marshall Brass regulator was the 20-year-old original. On a hunch I ordered a new Camco 59311 vertical regulator. It arrived today and after about an hour it was installed. During the install I found the high-pressure line going to the regulator input was leaking at the crimp as well. Not a big leak but one that could have ruined our trip or worse.

I blew the lines out from the fridge back to the regulator to clear anything that may have collected over the last 20 years. I then replaced the regulator and the input hose coming from the POL valve. After replacement I now have a solid 12.5 inches of water and all the systems seem to be working again. I verified no leaks by monitoring a low pressure gauge while the tank valve was off. No drop in pressure over 30 minutes so I guess I’m OK there.

I swear that this LY of mine keeps telling me when something needs to be fixed before it hurts itself. Several systems have failed over the last year that led me to a much more dangerous eminent failure of another component. I’ve worked on her for almost a year now. I think I’ve learned the details of every system on board. Now I’m ready to have some fun with her at the races.

Anyone else going to the Petit Lamans?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post

During the install I found the high-pressure line going to the regulator input was leaking at the crimp as well. Not a big leak but one that could have ruined our trip or worse.

I had an issue with these leaking on brand new lines this year. A lot of brand new lines. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...nes-87526.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post

Anyone else going to the Petit Lamans?
I wish. I'll have to watch it on TV.

Have fun!

Old 10-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I replaced one older high pressure line this year, due to a leak. Then i replaced the replacement, due to a leak. Then I replaced the replacement for the replacement due to a leak. I finally have one that does not leak. Whoever is making them seems to have a lot of quality control issues. My RV parts place just takes the old one, gives me a new one, and shakes his head. He has seen a lot of them come back.

And they were all made here in the US.