Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
btr', the best way to find out is to try them out. RV queen beds are shorter than residential queen beds. The same is probably true of the kings. The twins are a bit longer than the queens and the doubles. The guacho beds are pretty long in some models because they extend into the dinette, but you either have to make them up every night, or squeeze past them during the day.

Some floor plans have bed size on them, many do not. You can get many floor plans on the Airstream website and for those from years past, you may have to look around, but eventually they show up. As a prospective Airstream owner, you should become familiar with that website—there's a lot of information there, but it's sometimes hard to find. You can go to a dealer and measure beds and try them out, and you can call customer relations at Airstream to see if they have exact specs.

Somewhat shorter than Aage (what's 5'17" in kilometers?) and btr', I still felt my feet hang over the bottom edge and eventually found a way to extend the bed 4" and sleep happily. But everyone has their own standards for beds and what is awful for one person may be fine for another.

And, it might be easier to help if we knew what the trailer was for—hunting, writing the Great American Novel, family vacations, boozy weekends, party time? Will there be others with you? Twins are definitely out for some, fine for others. So far what I know is you like to stretch out which implies you are like me, except taller, and don't like your feet to hang over the edge. Are you looking for new or used? Are you willing to adapt the bed to make it longer? Some trailers have enough space to do so, but getting around the end can be a problem.

Gene

Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

rich , North Carolina
I am looking at an AS because of a few recommendations from friends who own them. They have told me that the large AS drop in price a lot from new and the resale is cheap. If you get a reasonably priced used large one, one should be able to sell it for near the price you paid after a few years of use. They are so well made, they hold value at some depreciated level. Unlike poorly built SOB that deteriorate into nothingness. An example, a used 31 foot that has all new equip is $7Mish. The smaller, more tow friendly models, are the same price or higher.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

rich , North Carolina
I am willing to modify the bed. I want a queen if possible, as I am married and we want to spend time on the beautiful site as a couple. We may have an occasional visitor, but they could tent it if no room in the AS. The site takes a 4 wheel drive to get to, so we will have a friend who has big powerful 4wd truck pull it up to its new mountain home.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
even with a rear queen bed i have to get in and out at the foot of bed because of rounded walls at roof , dont let me stand up strait. makes it very hard to make bed.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
No doubt the beds are hard to make unless you have the one that you can get to both sides. Mostly the queens are transverse and one person has to crawl out. I have a bad back and knees and have to get out of bed more in the middle of the night, so my wife gets to sleep on the inside.

I added some 1/4" plywood—with an additional overhang of about 4"—and screwed it to the luan plywood that the mattress lays on. We moved the OEM mattress down from the head at the wall. My wife made a bolster that fits between the wall and the mattress to fill the space. She told me a bolster is easy to make and can be stuffed with old clothes, rags, or whatever. I cut a piece of plywood that also fit that space with the curve, slid it into the end of the bolster, and then placed the combination between the wall and the mattress. The plywood should be at the bottom of the bolster and holds the fitted sheets in place. You can use standard fitted sheets and don't have to buy the more expensive RV sheets. We also bought a 2" thick foam unit to go over the very uncomfortable OEM mattress. They come in standard queen size, so the short OEM bed means either cutting a piece off, or have it slop over the end of the bed and making the sheets fit badly. A lengthened bed solves that problem too.

In our front bed, the space between the foot of the bed and the wall gets smaller, but we can live with that. That space gets filled with stuff anyway and my wife has to crawl over me (that's not all bad!) anyway to get out. This only works if you fit on a standard queen. Any longer means having a longer mattress made and it mostly likely will have to be built with a curve to fit the Airstream body—this will be costly. Everything we did was made out of scraps and the total extra cost was some thread and screws—maybe 10˘.

If you have to tow on a 4WD road, that raises some concerns. Rocks can do nasty things to the bottom of the trailer and sewer outlet. The angle of departure is not good because of the overhang. There are skidplates mounted below the bumper, but you don't want to rely on that much. How are you going to get rid of black water? Will you have septic facilities on site? Same for grey water, though that is easier to deal with by using a blue boy and taking it home. Will you have running water on site? Flushing and sanitizing the water system takes a lot of water—I'd figure on at least 4 times the capacity of the fresh water tank. We sanitize twice each towing season.

Gene
Old 11-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
We have a 34' Airstream with twin beds. The previous owner of our unit was tall, so he did some interesting changes to his bed. There is something similar to a footlocker at the end of the bed. He removed the top of it. Then he had plywood cut to fit the entire area with a little extra width over the edge. He bought a regular sized twin mattress which is a little bit wider than the AS mattress. At the head of the bed (where it curves) he place a piece of foam cut to fit the area--same thickness as the mattress. We actually use a spare pillowcase to cover the added foam piece at the curve. It seems to work well. This would also be handy for someone with a weight problem needing a little extra width.
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I'm 6'5" and weigh 280. I do not fit on the twins. I fit on my front gaucho as long as I lay a bit diagonally.

The issue then becomes the weight of me on the portion of the gaucho that cantilevers out. I know it is weakening and have been monitoring all parts while I figure a solution to strengthen it.
We had the same problem when our oldest son would go camping with us. We solved the problem with an ice chest. It was just the right height to secure under the overhang of the couch. It helps relieve the strain on the overhang. (And it can also be used to store food or other items as needed.)
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #22
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintent View Post
We had the same problem when our oldest son would go camping with us. We solved the problem with an ice chest. It was just the right height to secure under the overhang of the couch. It helps relieve the strain on the overhang. (And it can also be used to store food or other items as needed.)
I like it! Simple. Functional. Dual Purpose. Nice.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #23
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
At 6'4", enjoy my 28' S/O even though the sideways Queen isn't quite as long as a bunk. I add a stiff foam block (6"x5"x64") between the mattress and wall at night to extend the bed for sleeping and support my pillow. I did not extend the bed frame, only shift the mattress nightly, and the minuscule sag isn't an issue for feet alone. I made several color matched covers so it could removed and left among the pillow shams during the day and the mattress pushed back against the wall.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
My husband is almost 6'8", and my son, 6'6" which makes for interesting camping no matter what!! My biggest beef is those "boat-like" shoes, and how much space they take up!

When we all camp together, my 5'10" daughter sleeps in the drop down bunk, and I am underneath. My son sleeps in the other twin, which is 75" long, and my husband sleeps in the gaucho, diagonally. We use two 2x2 posts under the slide out part for extra support.

Now, camping without the kids, Bob sleeps in the other twin, with his feet hanging out. We are planning to cut a couple more 2x2 supports plus an insert piece of plywood, to hinge out toward the wall-side, so we can slide out that side a bit. This will include a chunk of foam bolster that will drop down into the space.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

rich , North Carolina
The road in is not rocky, just really steep. Fantastic views at the top and plenty of flat areas. I am going to put in a trash can septic system. I will tote the fresh water in. I will have solar to replenish the batteries. propane tanks can be removed and filled remotely.

The bed issue seems a big deal though. Does the front bed/sofa fold out so one sleeps parallel with the AS or perpendicular? So many of the ones for sale have the two twins in the back which sound like they are too short. The sideways queen sounds reasonable. I have made a fantastic mattress out of 4" foam, with a memory foam topper before.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like you've thought a lot out. Good there are no rocks, steep could be a problem depending just how steep. Solar helps, but the more panels the better, or you may have to supplement with a generator. Changing lights bulbs to LED makes a big difference with power consumption. In the fall there's a lot less sun and on a cloudy day, solar gain can be small. Don't part it under trees. Trash can septic can work on a limited basis, though some sort of leach field makes a difference. The local health dept. may not care for it.

Beds: dinette table lowers and cushions fill the table space, or guacho sofas pull outward and cushions fill the space along the wall. Some people are fine with the cracks between the cushions, others not. I think some longer trailers with a standard sofa and the dinette at the side may have a hide-a-bed and that may be more comfortable, though I never though a sofa bed was comfortable. It seems more recent models are mostly double and queen beds in the bedroom, but in the older ones there may be more twins. You just have to keep looking.

How far back in time are you looking? Are you trying to find an old well kept one for a low, low price (a lot of others want those too), or a more recent model and spend somewhat more? Are you prepared to renovate one (you could build it anyway you want if you want to do it all) or are you looking for a rebuilt one? Someone who knows more about the era you are looking at may be more help.

Gene
Old 11-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We have the 2 rear twins and my 6'2" hubby fits just fine. One thing we discovered is that we do not like sleeping with our heads in the curved corners, so we sleep the other direction with out feet in the corner. Much roomier that way.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

rich , North Carolina
not interested in paying a "collectors" premium for a really old one. Want to acquire one where the big depreciation has been paid for by the previous owners. Not interested in major rehab. Buying a new fridge is ok. I have owned a fully equipped camper van before, so know some of the general RV type issues, but not specifics regarding AS.

Tags
bed tall