Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Maybe time for new thread

If step is idle, In or out, how can it use power?

I will check compartment lights but I believe they are all, on switch in console. I did not notice independant light switches in compartments. I already checked that but I will double check.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:04 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Ken,

The step is energized even if it is out, or in. It is just waiting for a signal to open or close. There should be a small on/off switch to power the step down. When I had one I used this switch to keep the step in while the rig was stored, and out when camping. That way it was not going in and out all the time. This is especially helpful if you are used to flinging the door open and stepping right out. The step has a delay and sometimes I would start to step out and the step was not there yet
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

This was what kept draining my battery until I switched the step button off while in storage, problem solved.
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Other "hidden" drains.

The Hot Water Heater and the Refridgerator both consume energy from the battery when in the "on" mode while in storage, as do some types of Furnace Thermostats. For winter storage, don't forget the possibility that the furnace is operating when the inside temp of the MH approaches 40 degrees (usually the minimum temp setting of a thermostat) unless the thermostat has an "off" switch.

Any dirt or corrossion presenting a path to ground will contribute to the additive battery drain. Most MH's have a battery cut-off switch close to the battery compartment. This switch is the first line of defense for preventing the batteries from draining while in storage.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:30 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
School

I have been to furnace school, but correct me if I am wrong. The furnace is on coach batteries and not the engine battery. As is the reefer and other appliances.

I am not certain but I thought that the step switch was in the off position but I could be mistaken.

I cant help but think it is something other than step. When I first purchased unit, I did not know about step switch and I was going in and out of unit frequently. The step was cycling in and out everytime I boarded coach. The battery lasted for days, actually it never went dead. I started having battery problems when I got home. I immediately changed battery to new one. Reason being, I applied battery charger and the indication was that the battery would not take a charge due to bad cell (s).

Stumped, but I do have owners manual by my side here at office. I will look for wiring diagram.
Smily
Old 01-29-2004, 06:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Any damage to the wiring from the fire that could cause a short to ground or keeping an unrelated circuit hot?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:38 AM   #7
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Maybe

It is a possibility but the only thing burned was a couple of plug wires.

The thing I noticed when connecting new battery was, no spark, when I made connections. An indication of no load.

Maybe it was kwikee step. I should know today because I insured step was disengaged.

I am wondering if Furnace is on coach or Engine battery.

Smily
Old 01-29-2004, 06:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
As long as the step is off pull the battery cable and connect a test light between it and the battery and see if there is any other draw. If it doesn't glow you know it was the step.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

kwickie

Smily this may help or call the tech person at Kwickie. If it is a step problem.
They have been very helpfull to me in the past.

http://www.kwikee.com/stepmaintain.html

Steve