Old 09-29-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
1983 31' Airstream310
Waynesboro , Georgia
Kinda new

Hello folks , Bill here...

I bought an '83 -310 several years ago and posted here some . Been working on it off and on , cleaning and in general getting it ready for my wife's retirement . Her day finally came and we are beginning to spread our wings a little bit. After a new set of tires ( ooooweee , man that hurt) we set off for a week on Hunting Island , S.C , about a 3.5 hr drive from home just to kinda get things organized and see if my work would be fruitful . The old black smoke blew but I remembered what a poster told me several years ago , think it was Alan , about carb cleaner soak , stuff works wonders. Trip there 4.5 mpg , return 7.3 mpg , 50 mph mostly level grade . Everything worked wonderfully and am well pleased with motorhome. I plan on stopping by on a regular basis to get a little information and share whatever I can on restoring and maintaining these wonderful pieces of Americana . Here is a picture and my first question , think I saw the question posted once but can't quite remember the answer , what few cells from the 60's I still have left don't function as well as I like...........

Plug and switch ? Plug goes to cord to run second ac I assume , 115 volts but what amperage ? What size cord is needed and will 115 plug ( not 30 amp ) in campgrounds be sufficient to run ac? Switch would be to cut genset offline when hooked to shore power ? Got the input side , no brainer , but the output side can be switched from what to what ?

Thanks to everyone that has kept this forum up and running , there is a wealth of information to be mined , hope I can contribute my part.

billres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forum & thats quite the handsome motorhome!

As I sit here shivering in Minnesota I couldn't resist doing a little photoshopping on your Airstream.jpg just for the sake of viewing somewhere warm!

Hope you get the info you need, and thanks for posting!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia

Hope you and your wife have a great retirement! Good for you in solving your carb problem, and at such a small price at that.

I have no clue as to what the PO of your coach installed in your genset. It does not look like anything I have seen, but I really haven't seen that many. It does not look to be installed by AS or Onan.

A lot of folks like to plug up their 30A cord and then plug into the 20A recepticle as well. This is really not safe as the wiring to the recepticles is probably only 30A to begin with. If you need 50As, get a 50A cord and breaker panel! There is something on the market that will cycle the two air conditioners off and on so that you can run them both at the same time. I think camping world sells them. I only have one, so I have not looked into it.

The yellow plug in the picture looks to be 15A. I don't know what the rating on your air conditioners is, but there is a plate somewhere on them that would give you that information. Perhaps in the documentation you got with the coach.

You need to trace the function of that switch. It does not look like it is very heavy duty. I have installed one that looks just like it in mine to cut the power to the electric fuel pump (12V) in the generator so I can run the carb dry when I store the coach. Take the panel off and see where the wires go. That is, with everything off and un-plugged to shore power.

I would recommend that you get a 12 gauge extention cord, perhaps a 10 gauge cord if you are going to plug this thing up. I would, however, want to know where those wires went. Some folks who work on their rigs are not, well, the sharpest pencil in the box. They do some dangerous things with out thinking it all through. "Yeah, I use the propane to blow up my air matress all the time". Be cautious, be careful, be safe.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome Bill and I am glad you are back posting those wonderful pictures.
The male plug on your Gen Set is a cobble and I would not use it under any circumstances. Think about the expense of replacing an AC, Gen Set or your motorhome! There is a way to properly switch to run your rear AC off of shore power and to run both AC at the same time. However, I would not do that without changing everything over to 50 AMP. If you do a search on AC in this forum you will find several threads dealing with what you want to do.
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the wonderful world of retirement! It is great! We are busier than ever, but it is a wonderful thing... by choice!

Hope to see you on the road!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote