Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Jotto Desk Wanna Be

I really like traveling with gps. In the Argosy gps and the rear view camera will be integrated into one lcd mounted on the dash. But for now I needed a solution other than the computer balancing on the dash or laying on the floor.

Jotto Desk makes a really nice stand, at a really nice price. The cheapest one I have seen that will support the heavy portable I have is about $300.

About $20 for dom tube and I had the arm, a short piece for the swivel, and a couple of short pieces to brace it. I used a spring plunger to lock it left or right. Holes in the support plate are for a foot, usb and power cables, and the cooling fan. The base is a piece of 1/4" cr scrap.

The dog house cover is fiber glass, the computer is heavy and on a lever. I put a 12" square piece of 14 ga hr inside, the stand bolts thru one end the other is supported by a small plate hidden under the cup holder. There is a piece of plywood molded into the fiber glass slightly larger than this that was a mount for the original cup holder so it is very solid. I will use a piece if anti slip and a velcro strap to hold the computer in place while in motion.

For about $50 I have a workable solution; the difference from a real Jotto Desk should be about a tank of gas when summer arrives. No more grabbing at the computer as it slides around or twisting around to look at it on the floor.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	10846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	10847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	10848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	10849  

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Somewhere between NY & LA

Looks good. I applaud your ingenuity.

I don't believe it is possible that you are less willing to part with money than I am, however!

I have a Sony with a 16" screen. I started with a home-made contraption. It was unsatisfactory. With great anguish I ordered a Jotto Desk.....but still was too cheap to buy the extra legs that triangulate to form a tripod. I figured that the one beefy metal leg would be enough.

It swayed like a willow tree in a windstorm. And the squeeks & rattles!! It made me madder than my home-made stand.

I sheepishly ordered the extra support legs and now everything is fine.

I don't know how much the cab of an Argosy moves around during travel, but a big computer on a moment arm is a force to be reckoned with.

I hope your system works out for you, but if it doesn't, the Jotto is a very well thought out product and I'm completely happy with it.

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: https://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
John - amazing dash transformation! That is terrific and inspiring for those of us still suffering with our 1970s - 1980s GM dashboards. Very nice!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Thats a Quality peice. I like it!

I will be breaking out the welder as soon as I can find it and having my Buddy bend me up the leg for my Suburban. Heck that might even work in my Tiny 4Runner mounted off the side of the hump.

Nice work as always.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
John is that the dash in the Argosy or your HR? Sure looks good...GPS is in my future, just don't know when.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
very nice john

looks just like the port replicator i have in my truck at work! it holds my company issue panasonic tough book.

i have a gps antenna on the dash, about half the size of a pack of smokes.

cool technoligy, we use arcfm mapping. i can scan all powerlines in an area, the screen refreshes every few seconds with a new map. if i need customer info it has all account and premise numbers for around 1.5 million customers currently. not to mention every span of wire, pole, transformer or junction box.

nice install!

john
Old 03-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
No dash transformation, that is the HR. 16 years newer is the easy way out of a 70's dash.

I had never thought about the squeaks and rattles in a real Jotto. Without seeing one I wasn't sure about their stability. I didn't like the small foot print with just a couple of screws into fiberglass holding it down. This is real sturdy, it doesn't move and the Dell laptop is heavy, one thing I didn't like to deal with. There are two 5/16" and a 1/2" screw to hold it to the dog house and the plate underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
cool technoligy, we use arcfm mapping. i can scan all powerlines in an area, the screen refreshes every few seconds with a new map. if i need customer info it has all account and premise numbers for around 1.5 million customers currently. not to mention every span of wire, pole, transformer or junction box
One thing I like about gps is the versatility. That has to be so much easier than digging thru tons of paper.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
DIY computer mount

I saw something similar on eBay and just copied it. Made the arms out of threaded 1/2" nipples and flanges for the mount and tray. I've also added a second shelf via a "t" to hold my wireless keyboard in place for the stationary computer... gotta have two... The tray I made is plexi with a nice lip bent via heat gun.

I'll post some photos when I get a chance.... Total cost way lower than Jotto desk... and I did it myself!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I like the looks of your stand. Im going to make one just like that one. I all so like your dash!
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote