Old 09-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Latest update.

On Thursday evening and Friday morning/afternoon the repair shop had received a total of 2 incorrect replacement hydroboost units. Last night was the final straw for them. They are going to take the old hydroboost to a different supplier and match the part directly instead of relying on the supplier to send the correct one. I'm being told now I should be able to pick up the motorhome sometime Friday evening. They are still having their night shift crew do the work instead of having the more experienced day shift work on it. My understanding is day shift works on commission and night shift works hourly.

Yesterday after being put on hold several times for many minutes I finally asked to talk to the Owner or Manger, whichever one was available. I ended up talking with the Manger. It was a rather interesting discussion to say the least. He did apologize for the delays but apparently hadn't been kept abreast of just what had been happening. He wasn't aware that I had paid for the work already when I went to pick it up the 2nd time. He got kind of testy when I suggested that the hydroboost was being replaced for no reason. He firmly stated that the hydroboost was bad because the brake pedal required to much effort to apply the brakes. He also suggested that they could put the old unit back on for me if I so desired. Thinking about that statement I decided that he might be right about the hardness of the pedal. Its possible I was just used to having to push a little harder to stop. When I went for a test drive with the new hydroboost the other day the pedal was definitely easier to push, its just that it went all the way to the floor and/or gave a mushy pedal feeling.

When I commented about the fact that its taken SO long to get to this point he stated that Motorhome work always takes backseat to their real bread and butter work which is big truck and fleet service. I certainly can understand that philosophy but I would have expected them to let me know that up front so I would have at least known that the process might take a little longer than hoped for.

During my conversation with the Manager I mentioned that since we had now replaced most of the brake components on the motorhome that maybe we should look at replacing the two hydraulic lines from the pump to the hydroboost. He thought this was a good idea but said they would not do this unless they were readily available. He then checked with the mechanic and the mechanic said they were old and should be replaced but getting them delivered in a timely fashion would not happen. So the Manager said they would not do the line replacement and suggested that I have someone else do that portion of the work. I agreed with this as I want the motorhome out of there just as soon as can feasibly happen.

I can safely say we will N E V E R go back to that place again and will certainly not recommend them to anyone else.

We'll see how the things unfold this evening when they are supposed to have it done.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
Brad and Susan, Man I feel for you. You guys sound like such good people. It breaks my heart to hear stories like this. This is one of the reasons I try to do as much of the monkey wrenching myself. I am not much of a mechanic, but am a fast learner and very mechanically able. The things I don't feel comfortable with doing, I get a feller that my brother works with at a Transmission shop to do for me. I used to use a feller who owns a welding shop / garage down the road. But he over charged me a time too much and took my wife for some money once. So, these kinds of incidences just adds to my already skeptical and untrusting nature. I really hope you get some relief and good news on your coach. Good Luck with this and please keep us all posted.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
JaG,

Thanks for the kind words.

I generally do the repair work myself on just about everything we own. I do however stay away from our 2002 dodge dakota and any of the new fangled stuff they are building now-days

The only reason I had them do the work was for convience on our part. Its been a stiff lesson for me on this one. From now on I'm only taking our vehicles to someone we know and trust. Fortuantely there are a couple of local places that fit that description.

As for an update on whats happening, they didn't get it done friday night as planned. The new hydroboost didn't work right. For some reason they had to push the pedal 3 to 4 inches before it would engage the master cylinder. I read somewhere a while back about there being a couple of different settings for the plunger and when I mentioned it he said they knew about that issue but it wasn't the problem.

So now we're waiting until monday when they can check with yet a differnet supplier to see if they can find the right one.

23 days and counting, I'll post more when we know more.

Brad
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #46
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
brakes

I just put rear brake (main axle) on my 'Silver Bullet' and life time rotors were $114.99 each and pads $46.99 a set from O'reillys. I had one brake pad back plate that was half gone. Now I'm repairing the tag brakes. The shop I took it to to get the tag axle rebuilt replaced the brake shoes on the tag axle, but didn't check to see if they worked. Left side, had a broken wire and didn't work; right side the magnet didn't work. So much for the pros work. My brakes a mushy too, maybe I need to look at the brake lines and master cylinder too.
mel
Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Final update:

Got a call last night at 10:00 PM and was told they were done fixing the brakes. I hopped in the car and was there by 10:35 PM and on the road by 11:15 PM after hooking the car up as a toad and home by 11:45 PM.

Lets see, we took the motorhome in on Thursday 9/6 and got it back on Wednesday 10/3. By my count thats 28 days. Needless to say I'm flabbergasted

From what I could gather while talking to the Manger last night they ended up trying four different hydroboost units and three different master cylinders. We ended up getting a new (not rebuilt) hydroboost unit and a new (not rebuilt) master cylinder. Originally they kept trying rebuilt units from Cardone and each seemed to have its set of problems. They finally ended up buying from Precision Builders (I think). I'm pretty sure the very first hydroboost and master cylinder they installed were ok, they just didn't bleed the brakes enough. I guess yesterday as they were getting ready to install the parts they called Airstream and asked them what could be wrong with the brakes. According to Airstream if the brakes were spongy but other wise worked ok they they had air in the lines. Well after 4 gallons of brake fluid, one new hydroboost and one new master cylinder the brakes now work just great

I'm guessing that they were probably close several times but just didn't bleed them enough. The Manager said Airstream told him the brake system can get an air pocket in it and it will take large amounts of brake fluid to finally work it out. I think 4 gallons of brake fluid seems to indicate Airstream was correct.

I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone. While I'm fairly certain they probably do good work their priorities are NOT geared to motorhomes or RVs. They did apologize for the delay in getting the brakes right. I do feel sorry for the mechanics because they didn't make anything on this, but then again I doubt that the store did either. To their credit they did not charge us for anything other than 4 hours labor for the brakes, one hydroboost and one master cylinder. I had paid the bill when I first when to pick it up and they didn't' not change try and charge us any more.

Needless to say Susan and I are both glad this ordeal is over and you can bet if the repair is something I can do I WILL do it myself.

Brad
Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
To clarify Brad's post a little about the shop - I am sure they do very good work on the things they are used to working on (they have been in business for many years and are about to move to a bigger, better location), but their main problem seems to be communication.

Day shift did not convey info to night shift. Night shift did not convey info to day shift. Both shifts assumed things and did not follow up. Management did not follow through to make sure things were done. And our average length of time on hold when we would call to see what was going on (before we would get disgusted and hang up) was around 12-15 minutes. Then we we would call back for the next 15-30 minutes and the line would be busy. VERY frustrating.

But at least we FINALLY have our baby back - I was starting to get very worried about not having it for the Branson rally!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #49
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Can you tell a big difference in pedal effort?
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
brad, it looks like you can post in the "it's thursday and i like my airstream because...." thread :-)

it is a long, sad story of what you don't want to happen, but in the end, i think the shop tried to do you right. maybe they'll learn to improve communication between the shifts? i'm glad your baby is back!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler

During my conversation with the Manager I mentioned that since we had now replaced most of the brake components on the motorhome that maybe we should look at replacing the two hydraulic lines from the pump to the hydroboost. He thought this was a good idea but said they would not do this unless they were readily available. He then checked with the mechanic and the mechanic said they were old and should be replaced but getting them delivered in a timely fashion would not happen. So the Manager said they would not do the line replacement and suggested that I have someone else do that portion of the work. I agreed with this as I want the motorhome out of there just as soon as can feasibly happen.

Brad
Brad,

First, I am very glad you have your motorhome back and the brakes work. Now, not to spoil your happiness, please do not forget about these lines. I have learned, sadly enough from experience, that when I fail to replace something which I was told is old and needs replacing it bites me in the wallet. You now have the luxury of finding a shop which will be happy to work on your coach and knows how to repair the P-30 chassis. They are around and once you find one life will be much easier for you.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #52
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Thoses hoses can be purchased from AutoZone. Removing them requires some dexterity and finess so as not to strip the threads in the hydroboost pump. I would recommend removing them and taking them to the parts store with you.

Don't forget that removing them will leak power steering fluid everywhere.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Can you tell a big difference in pedal effort?
I wouldn't say there is a big difference but there is definitely a difference. I'll have a better feel for the brakes when we head to Branson next week. Driving through the Ozark's should put them to the test

I'll report back after the trip.

Brad
Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
brad, it looks like you can post in the "it's thursday and i like my airstream because...." thread :-)

it is a long, sad story of what you don't want to happen, but in the end, i think the shop tried to do you right. maybe they'll learn to improve communication between the shifts? i'm glad your baby is back!
I wouldn't hold my breath on them having improved communications between shifts. They treat each shift as a separate entity and as long as they do that they will continue to have problems.

For a while there it seemed like we might never see it again. Fortunately that didn't happen

Brad
Old 10-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Brad,

First, I am very glad you have your motorhome back and the brakes work. Now, not to spoil your happiness, please do not forget about these lines. I have learned, sadly enough from experience, that when I fail to replace something which I was told is old and needs replacing it bites me in the wallet. You now have the luxury of finding a shop which will be happy to work on your coach and knows how to repair the P-30 chassis. They are around and once you find one life will be much easier for you.
I wouldn't say you're spoiling our happiness, its so easy to forget something when its out of sight and out of mind. I would try and take care of it before heading to Branson but I just won't have the time. Replacing the lines will be on the list of required repairs before we make our next journey however. Once those two power steering hoses are replaced then its just the rotors and calipers to replace someday. I'm happy to say my last examination of the pads and rotors this spring was favorable so I'm hoping not to have to deal with them until next year. Time will tell.

Right now I'm of the opinion that if the motorhome needs work I'm going to do it myself unless there is some specific reason that I just can't.

Thanks for the reminder

Brad
Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Thoses hoses can be purchased from AutoZone. Removing them requires some dexterity and finess so as not to strip the threads in the hydroboost pump. I would recommend removing them and taking them to the parts store with you.

Don't forget that removing them will leak power steering fluid everywhere.
Thanks for the heads up for a source. After the Branson rally we have a lot of upgrade and modification plans. More steering work and the power steering pump hoses is at the top of the list. After those repairs we move inside to spruce up the interior.

Brad