Old 09-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
Were these actually used and has anyone here seen one used.

"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
When explaining the original use of Airstream One I tell folks it was set up to carry 12 passengers, the flowers, and the guest of honor.

The guest of honor only had a one way ticket though.

As a special use vehicle the AS FC-28 has been darn near perfect for my needs over the past four years, and with the fresh engine, tranny, GV should be good to go for many more years to come.

Heck Airstream One is only 90,000 miles young!

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I have the report on the funeral coach. I finally got ahold of my customer after trying about 6 different area codes to go with his number. I again asked him if he had an Airstream funeral coach. "Yeah, two of them". Okay, I set up a time to meet him today & take pictures of them for all of you guys. I took my son with me in case he was a weirdo or something (I really don't know him well). They were kept at an estate near my house. We had to wait for his boss, who owns 3 funeral homes, a cemetery, and a used car lot (how that fits is beyond me), to come and open the gate to his estate. I was almost giddy that this guy is totally loaded & was hiding two Airstream funeral coaches next to his barn in the back. I figured they must be in pristine condition!!! While waiting, I asked Ross if they had a bathroom in them. No.... (red flag, red flag). Then he said they used to have 4 of them. One burned up when it started on fire while driving it. He said he picked one up from "Jackson Center, Ohio?" I asked, most certain the answer was "Yes".
"No", from someplace in Massechusets. Hummmm...
The boss finally shows up. We pull up the long driveway to the barn. Yes, there are two motorhomes. Both look pretty rough. I see the letters GMC on the front of the first one. Humm..... I poke my head inside. Will it smell like dead people? I almost hold my breath. Get quite creeped out. Not too clean. Doesn't look anything like any part of an Airstream I have ever seen. I walk around the back, looking for the round end & the cool stairs that fold down & hatch that goes up. Nothing. This thing isn't an Airstream!!! It was a funeral motorcoach, but not an Airstream.... I am so bummed. I'm just really glad I checked it out before giving this old guy's number to everyone who was interested. He's a nice old guy, but just a bit confused about the importance of this rig being an Airstream.
I explained to his boss that I was sorry, but I was under the impression that the motorhome was an Airstream & I had some interest by collectors of Airstream. I did tell him that I would still post some pictures of his motorhome & wondered what he was asking for them. I misunderstood him & thought he said one thousand dollars. I thought that was about right & repeated what I thought he said. "No, eight thousand dollars" he said. YIKES!!!!! Nuff said about that.
I'm really sorry I got everyone excited about this. I guess Glen was right after all. They're like ghosts!!
The boss did say that the one that burned up was actually an Airstream. So, there's one less of them that you won't find.
Here are a few pictures for all of your entertainment. That's Ross on the left. Good ol' cowboy from the South.
They had lots of caddie limos too, in case anyone wants one of those to tow their Airstream....that could be a sweet ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	funeral motorhome 4.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	87438   Click image for larger version

Name:	funeral motorhome 3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	87439  

Name:	funeral motorhome 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	87440   Click image for larger version

Name:	funeral motorhome.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	87441  

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Wow, that is a major find if not Airstreams though. The GMC motorhomes hold some value and the full lounge interior is rare. There is an outfit in Florida that specializes in these.

Did he want 8k for both?

Are both running?

Might be a place to start.... for someone other than me.

I'm aluminum through and through.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
He wants 8K for the one that runs, I think. The last pictured one doesn't run. I didn't even look inside that one. They were pretty rough.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
He wants 8K for the one that runs, I think. The last pictured one doesn't run. I didn't even look inside that one. They were pretty rough.
Not too clean. Doesn't look anything like any part of an Airstream I have ever seen. I walk around the back, looking for the round end & the cool stairs that fold down & hatch that goes up. Nothing. This thing isn't an Airstream!!! It was a funeral motorcoach, but not an Airstream.... I am so bummed. I'm just really glad I checked it out before giving this old guy's number to everyone who was interested. He's a nice old guy, but just a bit confused about the importance of this rig being an Airstream.
========================================

When we were looking for our MH we found ads for AS MH's in good condition, what you experienced was worse than ours but at least they didn't advertise them as being clean or like new.
We had them look like what they were used for, one of the reason we couldn't buy one at auction was the nose factor. Car dealer tried to cover portipoti use with new leather spray. Individual owner's rep dwelled on low mileage on AS used as bus for migrant farm labor. Then there was the dealer that didn't notice until I pointed it out; the rear fiberglass bumper damage and sloppy caulking on every seam and window trim, and the leak stains on the interior.
Hard to find quality if it isn't from original owner that has used it with pride of owning a great unit.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Hearse available on ebay.
Other Makes : HEARSE:eBay Motors (item 110437104930 end time Sep-27-09 17:08:52 PDT)
Old 09-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Wow! What a great find. I've been on the road and didn't have time to check eBay this week.

What you see is a 27' J-Lounge interior. This was the starter FC-27. Note the lack of Ramco mirrors. The fabric on the upholstery is identical to mine. This is a very nice original example and unmolested.

The chassis is newer than mine by VIN so it may be a late 1984 though as these Chassis's came from GM without regard to serial VIN it could have gone down the line earlier.

Unless you have a specific need for this configuration it is limiting without blowing away all or part of the J and the other chairs which are in singles and pairs. Also having to start from scratch with water and tankage is a trial too.

The engine driven rear air prevents going through the wall without ducking and mine was inop at the time of purchase so I just took it down and removed the belly mounted condenser and make that area my generator bay.

As my 28 had dual facing sofas with the wet section aft of the mirror wall and an isle it was easy to go through the back wall once the casket chamber was taken out. BTW the C-chamber is 1" plywood with nice wood laminate on it. I've since found lots of other uses for the wood.

If you're looking for a people hauler this is a great find and will likely go very cheap.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 09-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #37
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
They were kept at an estate near my house. We had to wait for his boss, who owns 3 funeral homes, a cemetery, and a used car lot (how that fits is beyond me), to come and open the gate to his estate.
Maybe the guy takes "trade-ins".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
The GMC motorhomes hold some value and the full lounge interior is rare. There is an outfit in Florida that specializes in these.
Here is the website of that company:Cooperative Motor Works (The Co-op)

The owner of the place is a nice guy, if a little strange.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
1987 29' Airstream 290
Renfrew , ontario
I have an 87 Airstream Air Coach, similar to the funeral version only it has a galley and washroom where the coffin and flowers would be in a hurst. Very rare, one of 40 I am told by Airstream. I want to trade it for an Airstream trailer. I am moving out of North America and a motorhome won't cut it where I am going.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interior rear.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	88980  
Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's that same Ebay unit listed on craigs list. Looks like his reserve will be in the $8,000 range.

AIRSTREAM HEARSE - $8500 (Hillsdale County)

Date: 2009-09-28, 10:15AM EDT
Reply to: sale-8n2d2-1396072263@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1984 Airstream hearse. 454 Chevy, auto trans, air, qualifies for historical plates, great shape and very unique and rare. Airstream manufactured these for just a few years. This one is in original condition except for the reconfiguation of chairs. We've owned this for about 10 years and used it for everything from a family field trip, to a party barge and even our Mayor Exchange days. The tires in the front are excellent. Rear dual's are in good to fair shape. The body is rust free, but does have a few dings. NOthing major. There is some rust on the sheet metal in the wheel wells. Interior is good but could use some cleaning. Seats about 14. Always stored indoors. Since posting this funeral coach, we've talked to folks on line who've transformed theirs into all kinds of mobile businesses, from golf club sales, to a recording studio and even a portable doggie groomer. Serious inquiries only please. And NO, there is no casket sold with this hearse. Call MIKE for more information and photos. 517 425 0036
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1396072263
Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Skid, your coach looks a lot like mine in layout. I assume you have the rear area behind the galley / head similar to mine.

Airstream reportedly made 80 FC's in the 80's. If you have a 28'er we could be very similar.... though I like what they did with the side walls in yours.

Do you have any more photos? How many miles on it?

Ganglin, I got the photo package from Mike on the 84 J-lounge. Nice original unit. Nice guy.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I stand corrected as the coach posted by Skid is not a funeral coach. It certainly is a commercial department build though.

I'm taking a liberty and posting a couple of photos as sent to me. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RH_SIDE_09.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	89093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Int_Frnt_09.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	89094  

Name:	RH_side_rear.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	89095  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Longview , Washington
Send a message via MSN to audiv8q Send a message via Yahoo to audiv8q Send a message via Skype™ to audiv8q
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Becky, do you know if a loaded hearse can use the carpool lane?
So here's an interesting story from Seattle:

A few years back (and this was well publicized), a pregnant woman was driving in the carpool lane (2-per-vehicle required), when she was pulled over by the motorcycle patrolman, who, despite her protests that she was 8 months pregnant and carrying her second passenger in her belly, proceeded to write her a ticket for single-occupant riding in the carpool lane.

When she later showed up in court to contest the ticket, she brought with her the - now newborn - child she thought should qualify her for the carpool lane. She showed the baby to the judge, and asked whether he would qualify on that day if she and the baby were in the carpool lane. The answer was "of course!"

She then asked how it is, that one month earlier, before the child was born, that he did not qualify at that time. Would His Honor thereby imply that the unborn baby, just one month earlier, was not a baby at that time?

The judge threw the case out of court, stating that he certainly was not interested in getting involved in THAT political discussion, and dismissed the case and the ticket.

Innnnteresting....