Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This MoHo is brand new to you and largely unknown. I don't know if you have any experience with RV's, but if not, more unknowns. People don't like the unknown because it's hard to prepare for and can be fearsome. It should get better with time; if it doesn't, then you have to think about more serious counseling than you'll get here. Listen to your son-in-law—he reframed the situation well so you could see the positive side of things.

As has been suggested, start with short trips and find out how things work. Woodall's has a book on fixing RV's and it's a good one to have with you. It explains how things work and is good reading to understand what you have. You can cruise this Forum and learn more.

If you are not experienced with tools, at least bring basic ones. A lot of things can be fixed with screwdrivers (Philip's head and regular), Channel Locks wrench, basic rachet wrenches, needle nose pliers and the inestimable Swiss Army Knife. A hammer might help especially when you are mad at the MoHo, but then hit something you don't own, not the MoHo, yourself or your passengers.

As for tires, a tire pressure monitoring system is helpful at monitoring pressure and avoiding problems. With dual wheels, it's hard to keep track of the inner tire without one and using a hammer to check tire pressure is not very reliable.

RV's are expensive to own. They are not as reliable as cars and trucks. It is what it is. It is not as bad as owning a 1960's or '70's English sports car (I've had 2, long, long ago) as Lynn will surely agree from his MG experience.

The learning curve is steep at first and it should get better.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Getting On

Every destination must have a start point. If you don't start, you will never get there!

The great thing about doing your own repairs is "many times it is cheaper than buying fuel"

Do all you can yourself and you will gain knowledge and have the satisfaction of knowing the job is done. Many times when you are repairing one thing, you will notice something else that needs attention. Just play along like its a game test. See how many problems you can solve.

Have fun and we'll see you on the road.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
I am always amazed that the more remote the area. the More Good help arrives out of no where with the ability to fix your issue.

Like the man in Mexico with the correct belt.

Having lived in central Kansas I can appreciate the Friendly and well stocked farm and rural community 's. And People learn to fix it themselves. and help others.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
I have had my breaks fail on the way to the top of a 7,000 foot pass in Arizona, to my steering wheel literally popping off the column on cruise at 62mph in Minnesota! I'm still here and plan to continue my wonderful travels! Mabe I'm the crazy one, but you only get to go arround once, so enjoy it!
Haha, so when the steering wheel came Off ?

that would make a good story
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
jeez funkill...that is an amazing observation. later tonight i will post the REAL reason behind my apprehension. it has little to do with rvs. it has a lot to do memories i will NEVER EVER forget.
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
make that 'with memories.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Later Tonite?

We are still waiting for the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukib View Post
jeez funkill...that is an amazing observation. later tonight i will post the REAL reason behind my apprehension. it has little to do with rvs. it has a lot to do memories i will NEVER EVER forget.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Just because it was parked 'inside' means little, mechanical thinks need maintenance, learn all you can, don't worry, enjoy life. I had a friend once who always wanted a boat for his family to cruise in. He had no experience at all with boats, so he signed up for every boater safety course he could find, read every blog, and finally took a twelve lesson Coast Guard class, after he was done, he sold the boat. Asked why?, he answered, "After I realized what could go wrong, I was scared to death for me and my family."
Your A/S will never sink....go enjoy......
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
An update to my 'i need counseling' post. two weeks ago my wife and i decided to go to boyettes restaraunt at reelfoot lake 80 miles away. it was very windy but i handled it. when we got three miles from boyettes, i got hit with a 70 mph crosswind (typical of the ms delta). it stripped my 25 foot awning on my 93 land yacht from the front seal 12 feet down the side. my wife thought the door had blown off. we found a place to park it and my rv tech fixed it completely two days later. he even delivered it back to my home. all the mechanicals ran perfectly. i love driving this thing. but i have to wonder whats next.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
update 2...i discovered that the ly is built on an all aluminum frame, i had thought that screws and rivets had pulled from wood. didnt happen. we replaced the dinky flip clips with velcro fasteners. we lowered the awning below the roof line which the PO had foolishly misinstalled. life is good. the awning is enclosed in metal airstream style. this weekend i am am going to try springfield, mo which is 480 mil
es away. wish me luck. btw...i am taking a butane utility lighter if i cant start a flood.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We were headed north in the Mojave Desert area in California, the TV was loosing power for some reason....it later was found to be a disfunctional thermosat. Meanwhile we called for assistance with the CB we had back then and truckers came from every where, stopped and gave us enough water and coolant to make it into Fresno. That was a hair raiser.!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Atta Boy!
See what we mean... sometimes stuff goes wrong, so just roll with it!
Just keep trying, and as i said before, it will just melt into fun!

I bought my 1984, sight unseen and flew into Kansas to pick it up...
Replaced 2 tires cos of the age, and drove it near 1600 miles back to California... and had a blast!
Worst thing that happened...
A water leak from the recently replaced water heater.... windshield wiper blades that were useless... and a 12v fuse that kept blowing cos the bathroom fan was seized.
Small things I now know...
It has airbags in the front, and that they needed 60psi or so to keep the front end from wandering in every lane when windy!
Get out there and work those bugs out!
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
You are making great progress with your counseling and I think you only have to come in once a week instead of twice a week. Remember to take your meds.

Gene
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When Sam first found me, she though I was perfect too. After a little time together she found out I wasn't EXACTLY perfect. But 34 years later she's still here so I guess I was close enough.

Kind of like owning a moho.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
This threadreminds me of an old Navy saying:

Ships are safe in harbors, but thats not what ships were built for

As a new AS owner, I too think about what ifs... However I try to be prepared for most anything. Everyone who has posted so far has good ideas about being prepared, (tools, roadside assistance...). Just realize that there will be a time or event that will be a 'gotcha moment'. Think of it as a speed bump, take a time out, take a deep breath, and ask your self "what do I need to do to getback on the road"?

RV's and trailers are like cars, if you don't use them they age and break down. Take the RV out and enjoy
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A story to make you nervous—

Some years ago we were driving around Lake Tahoe. On the west side there is an area with some tight switchbacks and quite steep hills. We came around a switchback and there was a large MoHo near the top of the hill and stalled out. There was no backing down to a level spot and no shoulder. With no engine, no power brakes and no power steering. I hope he had a really good emergency brake and wheel chocks. This was not a place I'd want to get stuck. This was long before our Airstream time, but I don't think it was an Airstream. If it didn't end up in the lake, and it was an Airstream, you may have bought it second hand and be driving it now.

Remember your meds.

Gene
Old 06-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
Just remember, as with most all things in life, a little preparedness goes a long way. Have a good set of tools on hand, a decent basic repair manual and a variety of common spare parts. Oh yeah and a good roadside assistance plan just in case.

My only trepidation is having a breakdown where there's nowhere to pull over but it doesn't stop me from hitting the road. Try short trip therapy exercises... besides even if you do breakdown you should have most everything you need to be comfy...

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote