Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
boca raton , Florida
I have had my breaks fail on the way to the top of a 7,000 foot pass in Arizona, to my steering wheel literally popping off the column on cruise at 62mph in Minnesota! I'm still here and plan to continue my wonderful travels! Mabe I'm the crazy one, but you only get to go arround once, so enjoy it!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Mechanical things break down - that's just a fact of life. Mechanical things can be fixed - another fact of life. I never give a second thought to breakdowns when I head out. If it breaks, I'll either fix it or get it fixed. I don't ever recall seeing dead bodies on the side of the road because someone's rig broke down and they starved to death because they couldn't get help. Get in that thing and drive the wheels off it.

Doug

Old 03-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
It is all part of the adventure. I have been living on the road for a long time .One of the better break down tales I have. In Mexico many years ago. 60 miles from nearest town very desolate area we lost a fan belt.Sat wondering what to do we had a spare unfortunately it was wrong size. Off the road aways was a little ranch. A man came walking up to us from there . He didn't speak english we didn't speak spanish . Managed to communicate any way . He went back to his house .Came back in five minutes with the fan belt we needed. We gave him a jar of instant coffe a hug and were on our way again. Anything can happen . Have faith and go for it.
Jo
Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
First trip we took was a 60km jaunt to a local provincial park to check out things and make a list of all the things we forgot or didn't know we needed. Boy was that a long list. The second trip 2 weeks later was about 8000km and a month long. Yes stuff broke, not much and nothing serious. 12 yr old truck pulling a 37 yr old trailer, bring a tool box!!!! We had a blast and created some memories (all good ) that will last the rest of our lives. Just do it!!!!!............Cheers.....Phil.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I have 10 motorized vehicles in my fleet... Youngest one is 13 years old, and the oldest is 38 this year!!

All my life i have owned older stuff, and its a fact that its not a IF, its a WHEN....
The reality?
My worst moment was when driving a 8 month old car!
Double blown out tires, after hitting accident debris on a busy German Autobahn, in the wet, with cars crashing everywhere around me...
I wish I had been in my Motorhome then, I tell you! I was not hit, but it was close, and even today, 19 years on I still hear that noise and tense at the thought!

Here is my $0.2!
Its a mindset thing.
Hope for the best,and plan for the worst.
My advice is simple, and based on my history with these things!

Have a plan...
1/ If you like to fix stuff, and are able, pack tools, and a set of realistic spares.
2/ Have Good Sam, or AAA or whatever your preference.

If you go with #1, you need #2 as well!

Please stop and think, and take a deep breath... If a tire goes, or something breaks, park somewhere safe, and you have a wonderfull comfortable place to wait while the Cavalry comes to your rescue!

The cure to your concern is easy... get out there and let the miles melt your worries away!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr32e View Post
First trip we took was a 60km jaunt to a local provincial park to check out things and make a list of all the things we forgot or didn't know we needed. Boy was that a long list. The second trip 2 weeks later was about 8000km and a month long. Yes stuff broke, not much and nothing serious. 12 yr old truck pulling a 37 yr old trailer, bring a tool box!!!! We had a blast and created some memories (all good ) that will last the rest of our lives. Just do it!!!!!............Cheers.....Phil.
Definately bring all the tools. Dont ask me why. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This MoHo is brand new to you and largely unknown. I don't know if you have any experience with RV's, but if not, more unknowns. People don't like the unknown because it's hard to prepare for and can be fearsome. It should get better with time; if it doesn't, then you have to think about more serious counseling than you'll get here. Listen to your son-in-law—he reframed the situation well so you could see the positive side of things.

As has been suggested, start with short trips and find out how things work. Woodall's has a book on fixing RV's and it's a good one to have with you. It explains how things work and is good reading to understand what you have. You can cruise this Forum and learn more.

If you are not experienced with tools, at least bring basic ones. A lot of things can be fixed with screwdrivers (Philip's head and regular), Channel Locks wrench, basic rachet wrenches, needle nose pliers and the inestimable Swiss Army Knife. A hammer might help especially when you are mad at the MoHo, but then hit something you don't own, not the MoHo, yourself or your passengers.

As for tires, a tire pressure monitoring system is helpful at monitoring pressure and avoiding problems. With dual wheels, it's hard to keep track of the inner tire without one and using a hammer to check tire pressure is not very reliable.

RV's are expensive to own. They are not as reliable as cars and trucks. It is what it is. It is not as bad as owning a 1960's or '70's English sports car (I've had 2, long, long ago) as Lynn will surely agree from his MG experience.

The learning curve is steep at first and it should get better.

Gene
Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Getting On

Every destination must have a start point. If you don't start, you will never get there!

The great thing about doing your own repairs is "many times it is cheaper than buying fuel"

Do all you can yourself and you will gain knowledge and have the satisfaction of knowing the job is done. Many times when you are repairing one thing, you will notice something else that needs attention. Just play along like its a game test. See how many problems you can solve.

Have fun and we'll see you on the road.
Dave
Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
I am always amazed that the more remote the area. the More Good help arrives out of no where with the ability to fix your issue.

Like the man in Mexico with the correct belt.

Having lived in central Kansas I can appreciate the Friendly and well stocked farm and rural community 's. And People learn to fix it themselves. and help others.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
I have had my breaks fail on the way to the top of a 7,000 foot pass in Arizona, to my steering wheel literally popping off the column on cruise at 62mph in Minnesota! I'm still here and plan to continue my wonderful travels! Mabe I'm the crazy one, but you only get to go arround once, so enjoy it!
Haha, so when the steering wheel came Off ?

that would make a good story
Old 03-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
jeez funkill...that is an amazing observation. later tonight i will post the REAL reason behind my apprehension. it has little to do with rvs. it has a lot to do memories i will NEVER EVER forget.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
make that 'with memories.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Later Tonite?

We are still waiting for the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukib View Post
jeez funkill...that is an amazing observation. later tonight i will post the REAL reason behind my apprehension. it has little to do with rvs. it has a lot to do memories i will NEVER EVER forget.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Just because it was parked 'inside' means little, mechanical thinks need maintenance, learn all you can, don't worry, enjoy life. I had a friend once who always wanted a boat for his family to cruise in. He had no experience at all with boats, so he signed up for every boater safety course he could find, read every blog, and finally took a twelve lesson Coast Guard class, after he was done, he sold the boat. Asked why?, he answered, "After I realized what could go wrong, I was scared to death for me and my family."
Your A/S will never sink....go enjoy......

howco is offline   Reply With Quote