Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Hughes Autofomer?

The main electrical problem I've had is low voltages in campgrounds. My Progressive EMS protects me but then there is no power. Has anyone used a Hughes Autofomer to supplement low voltage conditions? Info at this web site.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2000 28' Excella
1994 31' Legacy 30
Hillsboro , Texas
I have owned and used one for about 8 years. You really need a good voltmeter to know if you need to use one or not. What it does is draw more current and use that additional current to raise the voltage buy about 10%. If the park wiring is under sized raising the current will lower the voltage even more so you stay about the same. It's a great gadget but they are not cheap. I have found it really helps when parked in a friends yard or older small campground. If the campground is really crowded in hot summer weather it may not be able to help much. If running the air conditioner is the problem a 3 KW generator will work better but make a lot of noise in the process. I have made the jump from trailer to motorhome so I now have a built in generator.

Tony T
2000 28' Classic TT
1994 30' Land Yacht M/H
tony6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Nothing is free. If you use the booster, it will pull more current and drag the voltage down for other sites on that same circuit. Not applicable if you are the only one on the circuit.

With only 30 amps fused at the pedestal, you have less than 30 amps available in the trailer at the boosted voltage. Again, nothing is free.

Besides that, the boosters technically violate the electrical code, although there is no one going around to enforce the code.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Hughes Autofomer?

Thanks for the info. The last time I had the problem was in a very crowded campground in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I guess then this device wouldn't do me much good. I'll save my money for better batteries so I could run my inverter longer when I loose power due to low voltage. I have two good voltmeters on my system. When I last lost the power the voltages had dropped below 104 volts, the cut-off for the Progressive EMS.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote