Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
Catawba , Virginia
"Hot Wheels"

How "Hot" do your wheels get?

Yesterday in Va, it was typically mid to upper 80's. Took my Bus out for a test ride after some repair work and stopped after about 50 miles to check for leaks, etc. When I knelt down to look underneath I could feel the heat radiating off the front wheel. So I touched it, "DUH"! Quite warm let's say so I just checked all of the others and they felt equally as hot. They were hot enough that you could not hold your fingers for more than a few seconds. My tires are new (Bridgestone 10ply) with less than 500 miles on them and are mounted on Alcoa aluminum rims with bead weigh bags inside. They run smooth and are properly inflated (70 psi).
Vehicle runs fine, no burning or hot smell anywhere just the rims felt blazing hot. Does this sound normal?

Thanks, Road Dawg
Road Dawg 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Does not sound normal to me. On my truck, I have had individual brake calipers malfunction, causing the pads to drag on the discs and heat up individual wheels. On our 310, the master cylinder went bad and caused the brakes on all four wheels to drag and eventually lock up in the middle of traffic. I would get that checked.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I agree it does not sound normal. An infrared thermometer would help to verify where the heat is coming from, the brakes or tires (also hurts less).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you stop just before you checked them I would say that is normal. If you could touch them at all just after a stop.

If a brake is dragging you could not touch it and you would most likely smell it as you got close.

Try driving 25 miles on open interstate and then coast and gear down to a stop without using the brakes except for the last little bit. Check them then. Having not used the brake you will get a better picture of the running conditions.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you have a tachometer, see if you're doing more engine revs than normal for the same speed. If your brakes are dragging, the engine has to work harder, too.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1991 36' Land Yacht
Catawba , Virginia
I figured it is some type of brake system malfunction fixing to emerge. Thanks for all the feedback.
Road Dawg 36 is offline   Reply With Quote