Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Honda EU 2000s in parallel

We have a 2010 27FB FC with the factory Dometic AC. Just bought two EU2000i generators to run everything when boondocking. One is the standard and the other is a Companion model. Got the parallel kit too. Hooked everything up today, and the pair in parallel won't seem to kick the AC on? Anyone have any secrets that I may be overlooking? AC works on 30A shore power, and voltmeter says 120-126 on each generator through all outlets. 110 appliances work fine, but AC just won't fire up? Any help appreciated!
Richrexw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB International
2014 27' FB International
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Make sure all appliances are off, and that hot water heater is running on gas mode. I have the same generator setup and will run ac fine but not much else as far as other appliances. That's all I can offer, Mike
Mike S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I have the same generator setup. I run a 15,000 btu Dometic with the generators. Try turning the Econo Mode switches off on both generators. The generators will already be at a higher rpm and ready to load up when the AC starts.

Are the generators going to idle in overload when the AC tries to start? I assume you are using the 30amp outlet on the companion generator.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
We definitely tried firing it up solo - with nothing else running. Interestingly, it never really seemed to "call on" the generators. We did have it connected via the 30 amp cord and think that may be part of the problem. I have a 50' cord (brand new but maybe too long??). Will try 25' today. Just can't understand why it won't at least pull on the generators - even throwing them into overload would be the right sign, right?
Old 08-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have the same set up and have never had a problem running the AC while paralleled ... Eco should be off...and just to be sure, check that you have the parallel cables hooked up up correctly. That long extenson cord might be comingo into play as well. Let us know how it develops...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I have the same generators AC must be off when starting generators . mine will run on eco mode after it has been running for a while . my ac is a 13.5 unit and my power cord is a long one .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Howdy Richrexw, We have the same Honda EU2000's and they work great even with everything and the AC running. As stated, make sure you are using the 30amp receptacle on the companion and try taking both Gen's off of economy mode. I have used 2, 25' cords together with no problem. Good luck.

Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Tried everything today, and no go? ? ? It's a real mystery. All good on shore power, every outlet works, AC blows snow. Nothing on either generator solo or tied together in parallel. Can't even get the microwave clock to come on. Does anyone know about the path from the 30 amp female receptacles on the exterior of the trailer to the electrical panel? I wonder where I should be connecting my multi-meter to see if there is a break in that circuit. Doesn't seem like that'd be it though, since shore power follows the same path. May be a trip to AS . . .
Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Rich where are you connecting the power cord from the Honda's? Are you connecting to the same connection where the shore power works fine? Any chance you have a surge protector installed? If you have a surge protector likely it won't work with the standard Honda setup since it doesn't see a valid ground. On my trailer the Surge Guard is installed on the standard shore power line. Generator will not supply power. Plugging into the Generator input at the front of the trailer everything works fine.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Rich where are you connecting the power cord from the Honda's? Are you connecting to the same connection where the shore power works fine? Any chance you have a surge protector installed? If you have a surge protector likely it won't work with the standard Honda setup since it doesn't see a valid ground. On my trailer the Surge Guard is installed on the standard shore power line. Generator will not supply power. Plugging into the Generator input at the front of the trailer everything works fine.

That's a good thought. I hadn't thought of surge protectors as a potential cause. I don't think there's a surge protector but it is a new trailer for us, so maybe? I tried both connections, so maybe there are protectors on both? If they're there, they must be factory installed. Definitely something else to check.

2010 27FB Flying Cloud
TV - 2014 Nissan Armada
Lake Oswego, OR
Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I don't own a Honda generator. But I have looked at them. As I recall the 30 amp receptacle is a twist lock.
Do you have a twist lock on the shore power cable or are you using an adaptor cord?
If things work on shore power and you are using the standard 120 volt 30 amp receptacle and plug. I think what you are using to adapt to the twist lock may be your problem.
Show us your plug set up.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Try using just one of the 120V outlets on the generator. Maybe the 30amp is kaput. If you get no power on 120, like turning on the TV, then I would bet it is the ground issue. There is a way to modify a 30amp connector to trick the trailer into thinking there is a ground. I've seen those posts either here or on the net.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
I have this setup and my AC works fine when plugged into the same receptacle as the shore power is connected to. I do not get power when the generators are plugged into the receptacle on the front of my trailer which is labeled "Generator".

Also, try setting your fan to "on" a little before turning the AC on. This reduces the heavy load you get when both the AC compressor and fan come on at the same time.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #14
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I don't own a Honda generator. But I have looked at them. As I recall the 30 amp receptacle is a twist lock.
Do you have a twist lock on the shore power cable or are you using an adaptor cord?
If things work on shore power and you are using the standard 120 volt 30 amp receptacle and plug. I think what you are using to adapt to the twist lock may be your problem.
Show us your plug set up.

Thanks TG, I took for granted that the plugs were all good. Her's what I've got. I "think" they are all twist lock, but could be wrong. They all at least seem to lock. When they engage, you can turn them all for about a clockwise hour, and they will not pull out.

Here's the male ends - the white one is a new "Eel Power" from West Marine. The black is a standard 30A NEMA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1408329882.353141.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	676.3 KB
ID:	219268

Here are the females

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1408330056.594854.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	825.8 KB
ID:	219269

I have them connected together - black to outlet and white to trailer for shore power, and everything works (either trailer receptacle). What do you think?

2010 27FB Flying Cloud
TV - 2014 Nissan Armada
Lake Oswego, OR
Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Try using just one of the 120V outlets on the generator. Maybe the 30amp is kaput. If you get no power on 120, like turning on the TV, then I would bet it is the ground issue. There is a way to modify a 30amp connector to trick the trailer into thinking there is a ground. I've seen those posts either here or on the net.

I tried it like you suggest. Every direct outlet on the generator will fire a shop vac, no problem at all. Just a little (< 1 second) hiccup in the generator, and then full power. I have a standard 110 plug to 30A converter, and tried that on all three available outlets between both generators, and on both in parallel to see if that would supply power - still nothing. Multimeter shows consistent 126-128 volt readings from common to hot in all configurations - the only thing I can't read is the amperage the circuit is a carrying into the trailer.

2010 27FB Flying Cloud
TV - 2014 Nissan Armada
Lake Oswego, OR
Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I gather that you have two receptacles on the coach. Perhaps one in the front, one in the back.
Does your shore power cable plug into the rear receptacle?
If you connect the shore power cable to the generator, does it work?
The reason I ask is. If you have to places on the coach to connect power. There will be a transfer switch. To prevent you from any back feeding. These transfer switches are famous for failing.
What is the purpose of having 2 cables (one black and one white)? Are they different lengths? Is one for shore power the other for generator power?
Can I assume that the female end of the cords you show, plug into the coach? And the male end plugs into the shore power or generator?
Can I assume that you are plugging the cable from the generator into the receptacle on the coach marked generator?
Do you unplug the shore power cable from the coach when you connect the generator cable?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #17
Lucky Dog

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks TG, I do have two connections on the trailer. One in front and one midship streetside. Neither is marked generator.

I have the two cables (W=50' & B=25') just for convenience. My outlet is about 35' from trailer at home. I never plug both in at once, but have tried both from the generator in both receptacles.

Your idea about the transfer switch is interesting. Would that switch fail when the generator is powering, but work when the shore connection is powering?

Also someone mentioned the grounding issue. I wonder if that could be the problem. Searching for that thread!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would use one of these.
L5 30P to TT 30R Generator Adapter Generator 30A to RV 30A Adapter | eBay
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
I would use one of these.
L5 30P to TT 30R Generator Adapter Generator 30A to RV 30A Adapter | eBay
Right. You should have one of these adapters plugged into the Companion and the male end of the shore power cord plugged into the female side of the adapter. The twist lock end of the shore power cord plugs into your female shore power outlet.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
As I see it, both cords you are using have twist lock male plugs on the power receptacle/generator end. Therefore there is no need for the adaptor shown above.
I will assume the receptacle (shore power) is also a twist lock.
When you test the generator with other equipment. Are you using the 30 amp twist lock receptacle on the generator? Or the 20 amp receptacle?
Do you have an adaptor cord to go from the standard 20 amp 3 prong plug to a 30 amp twist lock receptacle?
There should be a circuit breaker for the 30 amp receptacle on the generator. Are you sure it is reset? The 20 amp receptacle will have a separate circuit breaker.