Old 02-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraw View Post
Brad....isn't finding that lost campground site after dark the exact use for which the AS roof-mounted spotlight was intended?
From the comfort of my cab, I was able to spotlight a 200-degree arc using the toggle out to about 20 feet which were quiet enough to stay on the bitumen, avoid deer, site poles, wandering pedestrians and other campsites!
Also looked really cool!
Indeed the halogen bulbs are interchangeable as type C4. I think the bulbs that came with the replacement lights were sort-of Hella medium quality. Apparently, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs are the "ant's pants"
but at around $40 a pop...well!
chris
I would imagine driving into campgrounds at night was one of the uses Airstream provided the spotlight for. The spotlight actually works quite well for that task and I've used it for exactly that purpose.

Right after we took ownership of the 310 it was getting dark. We drove from the sellers place to the closest gas station to fill up the tank but by the time the tank was full it was night time. While driving to the gas station the single remaining headlight bulb stopped working. To get from the gas station to the campground was only three or four miles away so using only the spotlight and by following our toad to the camp ground I was able to make it. I will admit that when the toad got to far ahead the lone spotlight seemed to be lacking a little

Quote:
again upside-down pic..is is me ?
Not you, the camera. I always process a picture I want to upload with a photo editing program to verify it's oriented properly. That's about the only way I've found to ensure they upload correctly.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi all,

I can buy these CE (Europe) certified lights on UK Ebay. Do you think they would be plug and play (as they claim) or would I need to use some relays?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-4x6-...cAAOSwZrhaXw5J

thanks
Nick

Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Hey Nick,
The main reason to use relays on the headlight circuit is to reduce the amount of amperage being drawn through the headlight switch. Switching to LEDs accomplishes the same goal.
So to answer your question would be "no" you don't need to use relays on those LEDs but you could if you wanted. Relays wouldn't gain you much though. I personally just plugged them into the existing wiring. You'll like em. You may need to switch around the pins in the connector. Very easy to do.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
As Mike said, you don't need relays when switching to LED headlights. LEDs are something like 8 times more efficient so the current draw going through the headlight switch is greatly reduced.

With that being said I've been installing relays for just about everything in my Argosy. So many that I've run out of room for where to put them!

Brad
Old 03-09-2018, 03:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Hey Nick,
The main reason to use relays on the headlight circuit is to reduce the amount of amperage being drawn through the headlight switch. Switching to LEDs accomplishes the same goal.
So to answer your question would be "no" you don't need to use relays on those LEDs but you could if you wanted. Relays wouldn't gain you much though. I personally just plugged them into the existing wiring. You'll like em. You may need to switch around the pins in the connector. Very easy to do.
Thanks, maybe my headlight switch won't get so hot.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:23 AM   #20
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
There's a headlamp switch?

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have used relays for headlight systems on some older Jeeps. The older wiring systems in vehicles as above have stated have all the current going through the headlight switch. Old wiring and connectors also bring more resistance and with that comes heat. This is a good way for an electrical fire to start.
Take a multi-meter and check the voltage at the headlight bulb socket. I have seen 10 volts at the socket before. It is amazing how much brighter a standard bulb is when it actually gets full 12 volts of power buy using a relay.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I managed to source some of the halogen hella units over here in the UK. Given these are serviceable fittings ie you can replace the bulbs, I assume you could simply put in an H4 or H1 LED bulb in its place. I might put one set on LEDs and the other on halogens.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
.....I might put one set on LEDs and the other on halogens.
I'm curious as to why you would want to use one of each? I've found LEDs to provide much better lighting.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I'm curious as to why you would want to use one of each? I've found LEDs to provide much better lighting.

So I can compare them in terms of look and light distribution etc. Iím also slightly twitchy about whether the LEDs will pass our annual MOT test. These Hella units give me either option and must be an improvement on my stock lights, which are very poor
Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
So I can compare them in terms of look and light distribution etc. Iím also slightly twitchy about whether the LEDs will pass our annual MOT test. These Hella units give me either option and must be an improvement on my stock lights, which are very poor
I see where your thinking is. For myself the LED headlight bulbs that I've been using are hands down better than Halogens.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We have been on 3 trips since installing the LED headlights. They have performed real well. Very happy with the results. Basically plug n play, needed to flip flop the connector pins for ground and high beam. Overall very happy. The reasonable pricing and ease of installation can't be beat IMHO.

mayco is offline   Reply With Quote