Old 04-14-2004, 07:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Head liner- Bubble.

Just purchased a classic motor home and there is a bubble in the head liner, in the bedroom. How can I fix this problem with out taking the whole liner down. What causes this to happen, anyone have an idea?

Marcus G. Grogan #29206: www.theitchyhitch.com
grogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would want to remove that panel and check above for leaks also. The plastic can buckle some from heat and weather...as my cabinet areas cracking will attest to.

Shouldn't be too hard to undo the panel, if it is not in the curved dome area.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

When I pull the (leather ?) down what do I use to put it back up with?
Marcus G. Grogan #29206: www.theitchyhitch.com
grogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Not a quick fix

ufortunately, the foam behind the headliner is breaking down from heat and maybe some moisture. There is no way to fix it, it will just get worse.
You can spray adhesive in like many have tried but the problem is that the foam is seperating from the back "panel" of the head liner. You cannot get the foam to adhere to the rear panel.

Live with it until you cannot any longer and replace the whole panel. Unfortunately this is an indication of things to come on the headliner.

As you look at photos of AS on sale at places like EBAY and others, look at the headliners, if they are in view, you will see that most have the same problem.

The head liner in mine has been 90 percent replaced.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Smily
Old 04-14-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
One of the things I have seen used is to get the clear plastic panel retainers that are used in mobile homes to hold the interior panels in place. They come in a pack of 3/4 with a small screw. You can just run the screw thru the headliner and into the base. Just don't over tighten them.

If you can support the part that is currently sagging, it will delay the remainder of it falling as well. Once you redo the headliner the holes will be well covered.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Grogan,

Another option is to get plastic 2 part screw covers. Using a properly sized screw you could fasten the backing plate to the ceiling, pulling the headliner up, and then snap on the white cap. If done in a line or pattern it would look somewhat normal.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #7

...:-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
ufortunately, the foam behind the headliner is breaking down from heat and maybe some moisture. There is no way to fix it, it will just get worse.
You can spray adhesive in like many have tried but the problem is that the foam is seperating from the back "panel" of the head liner. You cannot get the foam to adhere to the rear panel.

Live with it until you cannot any longer and replace the whole panel. Unfortunately this is an indication of things to come on the headliner.

As you look at photos of AS on sale at places like EBAY and others, look at the headliners, if they are in view, you will see that most have the same problem.

The head liner in mine has been 90 percent replaced.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Smily

Man, that is one hard nut to crunch, from a very old firm allegedly known for the quality of their products...if they were worth their "salt", Airstream would have/have had a recall...even retroactive, since it appears that most of this problematic issue focuses on the '94-95'ers...odd. A little fix (factory/dealer wise) for a reknown company like they are...
Old 07-02-2004, 10:14 AM   #8
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
My pop just bought a new 30' motorhome and it had some flaws as well. Fortunately airstream fixed it this week while he's at the International in Michigan. He's most pleased with their effort. Guess such service is on an individual basis.

He reported around 8 to 9 mpg while towing a CRV. Also reported it pulls mountains better than my 454 classic, no surprise there. My rear ratio is only 3.73. He also reports his new unit tends to wander some and is considering bilsteins and other modifications.

Mike
Old 07-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We bought our '95 in March this year, knowing the vinyl ceiling was droopy, but deciding that the droop was something we could live with, considering all the other wonderful qualities of our Classic Limited. We guess this was an experiment AS tried that turned out with time to be less than great. I am intrigued by the idea of the white headed screws in a pattern line. I don't quite have the picture, and I don't know what we would be screwing into on the ceiling to fix this problem. Can anyone explain in more detail? As for now, she's a little droopy, but she's ours, and we love her!

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote