Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Going to look at an '81 310 (Isuzu TD) tomorrow

Our dealer quote is "way above average". My first question is (and this is very loaded) what should way above average cost? The exterior is supposedly flawless but could use a polish. They got the genset running. No idea on the working conditions of anything else yet. I have located some great check list material here on the forums but we're about to enter un-discovered territory. I'm not even sure where we'd park it to work on it yet.
Thanks,
KL
Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
KL,

Here's a good "way above average" example: http://search.ebay.com/used-travel-t...sopZ3QQxpufuZx. Of course, the coach is 8 years newer, a gasser, but look at the price! That's way above average too. I realize this isn't much help, but I suspect they're referring to the typical 1981 MoHo and calling this way above in part because it's an Airstream. My suggestion is to take the checklists, go really look things over, drive it, and use you own instincts. Keep us posted.

Best,
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
KL,
Right off a 310 is a very desirable floorplan (rear bedroom but short enough to not require the tag axles of the 325/345). Add to this the TD engine, reliable, good on gas (especially now)...if it's clean and perfect and beautiful it would be worth a premium price.

310's seem to hang out in the mid to high twenties. Of course there is a form member's (very nice gasser) 310 on ebay that went for 16K so it really is all over the map.

On your side, it's at a dealership and its a motorhome (sales on motorized are WAY off) and it's an 81.

Keep us posted and ask questions along the way.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
In a buyers market you need to have the ability to stand up and walk away. Nothing makes a dealer sweat more than an able buyer walking.
If the 81 was a trade-in it could be a great deal....regardless of the asking price, lowball your opening offer...and be ready to walk.
You should find out in short order just how hard they're trying to sell it.
I tell salesmen that I'm not a retail buyer somebody has to pay retail but not me!
Have they given you they're asking price yet? Wanna share it with us???
Call ahead and tell 'm you want to see it cold and on hard top. Then take your creeper and coveralls and check it out from the bottom, back to front. There's lots to see. Then start it up and check for excessive smoke when cold. Have fun...wear gloves!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Good luck to you at the dealers. I wish I had sage advice but a 310 diesel is a very desirable MH.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Glen,
A price was not given and I have not asked (yet). We're dancing. And it is going to be hard to get anything cold this time of year in AZ (even with our below average temps). I appreciate the advice and have no issues lowballing or walking away. Heck I'm at a loss as to where I could park it right now so that won't be hard. A full report will be posted tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I passed thru AZ the day before yesterday on I-40 and can concur with your report on temps. After two weeks on the left coast with day time temps not above 75 degrees I'm roasting today back in SC.
Looking forward to hearing your report on the 31' and hope you took the camera too.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
It is not clean and perfect but...

It is pretty darn good. It is on consignment and the owner wants $17K. It has Colorado plates and probably lived out doors. So it needs lots of polish and detailing. I did not see any dings or dents but didn't climb up to the roof yet. The dealer is going over it and fixing all the basic "RV" things (dump valves, Onan genset, propane regulator, storage batteries etc...). The truck chasis and powertrain pieces look intact but 25 years old (the rear air bags look to be inflated). The (dual) roof AC works and I'm told the propane genset can run them both. The engine starts instantly and purrs. I like the stock gauge cluster (turbo boost and exhaust gas temps). We did not drive it yet. The two worst things I saw were; all window seals are dried out, rotting and need replacement (we were assured it didn't leak though and it did just sit through a week of AZ monsoon). The other thing is the motor has 120K on it and is dripping nasty dirty oil when run. Not a lot though. We are now in the soul searching mode. This would be a long term expensive project so do we want it for a resale investment (probably not) or our own customized creation. Did I mention the nasty blue carpeting? Pictures to follow.
K&L
Old 08-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well, 120 on the motor is not bad...how was startup? Oil leaks can be lots of fun to trace.... and dirty work for sure. If it's in decent shape the price is not out of the real world....it's now a matter of what they will take for it.
Sounds like soul searching time for sure... good luck and keep us informed.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 08-06-2006, 06:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
The two worst things I saw were; all window seals are dried out, rotting and need replacement (we were assured it didn't leak though and it did just sit through a week of AZ monsoon). The other thing is the motor has 120K on it and is dripping nasty dirty oil when run. Not a lot though. K&L
The window seals are an easy fix and you will find several very good step by step threads here to help you through the process. An Isuzu with 120,000 is just getting broken in. The engine is a basic square box and tracking down the oil leak should not be too hard. The price is very good if all of the other systems are as described. As for your blue carpet, mine was green.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Any MH of that age will need some TLc and repairs. Most can be done as time and money allow. Be sure and check the rubber filler tube to the deisel tank ours was rotten and we couldn't fill the tank until replaced. We found that problem when deisel began running out from under the MH on our first fillup. Our window seals were bad as most of that age will be if the PO hasn't changed them. We have the turbo deisel and are very happy with the mileage and the fact that most deisels run for a long time without major repairs. There are a limited amount of MH's available and most will need some TLC. You can put throw rugs over most of the carpet to hide the color and the rugs are easy to wash when they get dirty. If the genset, air conditioner and appliances all work that is a bonus. Genset running on propane is a bonus also. Hook up to water and check for leaks if possible. If it is what you want don't let the color of the carpet be your deciding factor. The skin on the front of ours has lots of hail dimples. not a problem fo us as it doesn't effect travel. I wish it was perfect . but most things that are 20 + years old have some beauty marks.

Kay and Roy
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
that is a fairly lower end price in the usual market, but lately it has seen low prices more often. If it runs out well and all else is looking good you are not far from a good deal there.
Last year I would have said easily 20000 for that unit again in usable shape, needing mainly cosmetics.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote