Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
gfi circuit breaker pops

everytime I use anything that is related to the converter the GFI in the back pops. If I plug in my converter some where else it works fine. is this a GFI issue or I need to replace that GFI circuit breaker? and what other AC outlet are connected to that GFI beside the one under the stove where the converter plugs in?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Your Airstream manual will set out everything on the circuit in question. Just have a look at the electrical section. Link attached in case you do not have a manual.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ream-MH-OM.pdf

Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
If you dont find a problem otherwise, those GFI breakers sometimes become over sensitive or just fail to stay latched.
This may not work for you (and may not meet code in some states) but mine went bad so I put in a standard breaker and installed GFI outlets. That way one fault does not take down all the power.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
If you dont find a problem otherwise, those GFI breakers sometimes become over sensitive or just fail to stay latched.
This may not work for you (and may not meet code in some states) but mine went bad so I put in a standard breaker and installed GFI outlets. That way one fault does not take down all the power.
Ditto on GFI breakers getting old and weak. Its good practice to start your electrical troubleshooting with the easiest fix first in these rigs. I would first try replacing your GFI breaker.......it's ooooooold. If that doesn't help I would pull out the outlet and replace it. Move on from there. Good luck.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
Very good suggestion, I will install a regular square D breaker and a gfi outlet downstream from the outlet where my covered plugs in.thanks guys.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
White Bear Lake , Minnesota
The ground fault interrupt is a creation of the nanny state. Don't dry your hair in the bathtub.

I live in an apartment currently but have plans for a motorhome in the near future. A few years ago GFIs were installed in the kitchen and bathroom. They have been a pain ever since. They obviously went with the low bidder when they purchased the GFIs. They will randomly trip when I plug in a digital clock, the charger for my shaver or for my cordless drill. No rhyme nor reason for them to trip.

The quality of the GFI will make a huge difference in their operation. Quality deteriorates over time. My first move would be to replace the GFI with a good, quality, recommended GFI.
lyleapgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
The ground fault interrupt is a creation of the nanny state. Don't dry your hair in the bathtub.
Oh that made me laugh, we have Darwin's at every turn we take and 20 years ago, people just knew this stuff. Anyway...

It's no secret GFIs and converters don't always play well together. That said, it's still the GFI that makes the decision, not the converter. A cumulative ground leak is what causes it to trip so most often, it's the tolerance or threshold that the GFI has that trips it, not necessarily the converter. Yes, the converter can contribute but so can the fridge, AC and anything else. I don't know the tolerances of them all but do subscribe to the theory that they can get weak over time. Maybe an EE with facts can clear it up but I think we are in the ball park.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Gfi cb

I have a 1988 325. The rear, inside the cabinet above the bed, GFI circuit breaker gave me trouble also. The fix was always the same, replace it. When it happened the first time, that is it popped, I reset it, and the first device I turned on, a lamp, the CB would pop again. Couldn't find any problems in the circuits controlled by the GFI. Finally, I replaced the GFI CB and no more problems, for awhile, a long while! After about 7 or 8 years, same problem! Same solution, replaced the GFI CB! Each CB was a Square D GFI CB. The defective GFI CBs appeared to operate correctly. The reset switch felt right and it stayed in position after resetting it. So, it appears these types of CB go bad, at least the Square D models.
GTOChucky is offline   Reply With Quote