Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Red face Genset exhaust routing ?

I took the frig outta my 1977 Airstream Argosy 20', since it crapped out on me. In doing so I made note of how the plastic "vent" went up the side of the body and out through the top. It occurred to me that an "interesting" possibility might be to run the (wrapped) genset exhaust up through the floor and INSIDE of the refrigerator vent, up through the roof. I plan on replacing the plastic vent with an aluminum vent of my own fabrication; between that and the well-wrapped exhaust, can anyone tell me why this wouldn't be a good idea? It would likely be quieter and would definitely be MUCH less noxious than it's present "out the side" location; as many of you know, there's a kit to run you genset exhaust up along the side of one's coach. So which half of an idiot-savant am I being with this idea?
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Might not be a good idea to run any exhaust up through the interior compartment of the coach, even if it's behind the fridge and in a double walled flu. Too many opportunities for exhaust to get into the living area.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Might not be a good idea to run any exhaust up through the interior compartment of the coach, even if it's behind the fridge and in a double walled flu. Too many opportunities for exhaust to get into the living area.
I'd figure on running a "no connections" run through the actual coach itself, with good exhaust/body sealing at the floor and ceiling areas. . .
Old 12-04-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I recently had a misfiring genset issue and the force of the backfires and flames coming from the exhaust were enough to remind me how much force the exhaust has to take. While I like your concept, IMHO - keep it outside.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My thought would be how it might affect the working of your refrigerator. The vent is an important part of the mechanism in a Dometic propane unit. The temperature of the exhaust can determine how well or badly your unit will cool.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Yeah, bad idea. . .Seemed like a good idea right up to when it didn't!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have a whole section of my garage devoted to my bad ideas. There are beautifully crafted boxes which will never see the workings intended for them; pipe purchased that will go no where; switches that won't switch; and those thingies I just had to have at the time because they were going to be perfect. Who knows maybe someday there will be a use and then I will be able to write the perfect thread in this forum.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I have a whole section of my garage devoted to my bad ideas. There are beautifully crafted boxes which will never see the workings intended for them; pipe purchased that will go no where; switches that won't switch; and those thingies I just had to have at the time because they were going to be perfect. Who knows maybe someday there will be a use and then I will be able to write the perfect thread in this forum.
ChaplainKent,
Never fear the future use of all those lovely items has been established!...One day in the distant future there will be an Estate Sale and some one else will become the proud owner of your projects to be.... I know I have purchased my fair share, and look on the bright side...you are supporting the local economy with your purchases

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote