Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #1

van nuys , California
Gary needs help

I am a retired cpa in los angeles. Should I buy a motor home, or a suv and trailer. I want to live in this, with the possibility of two other people. Where in California can I park my rv or trailer for a permanent home, I am 64, I would like a place where I could, if desired stay the rest of my life. I am a retired viet nam war (101st airborne) vet who has seen all the action and excitement one person could ever imagine to see in a lifetime. I just want to relax and veg out. Help me if you can. email me at gary4bear4 at aol.com.

Gary

Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY HUFFMAN View Post
I AM A RETIRED CPA IN LOS ANGELES. SHOULD I BUY A MOTOR HOME, OR A SUV AND TRAILER. I WANT TO LIVE IN THIS, WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF TWO OTHER PEOPLE. WHERE IN CALIFORNIA CAN I PARK MY RV OR TRAILER FOR A PERMANENT HOME, I AM 64, I WOULD LIKE A PLACE WHERE I COULD, IF DESIRED STAY THE REST OF MY LIFE. I AM A RETIRED VIET NAM WAR(101ST AIRBORNE) VET WHO HAS SEEN ALL THE ACTION AND EXCITEMENT ONE PERSON COULD EVER IMAGINE TO SEE IN A LIFETIME. I JUST WANT TO RELAX AND VEG OUT. HELP ME IF YOU CAN. EMAIL ME AT gary4bear4 at aol.com.

Gary
Gary,

I'm a motorhome person myself but from your description it sounds like a trailer would be a better fit for your up coming plans.

Oh yeah, using all capital letters is considered shouting

Good luck with your future plans.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto. If you are going to park in mainly one spot for longer periods get a tow behind.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forums, and thank-you for your past service!

If you plan on just parking it, buy a trailer. Then you don't have to deal with the maintenance of an engine, transmission, etc. If you do decide on a motor home, remember that if you do ever decide to travel with it, you will probably want to tow a car so you're not breaking camp and taking the motor home out every time you want go sight-seeing or run to the store.

As far as where to park it for a permanent home, look for RV parks that have annual rental pricing. If you truly will never move it, a Park Model might be worth looking at. But that would put you out of an Airstream. The longer Airstream trailers do have quite a bit of room and be comfortable lived in full time as many on the forums will attest too.

Chris
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Since it doesn't sound like you plan on traveling in this rig. Why not look at a park model. It won't be an A$. But it will provide you with more conveniences. Such as a real toilet that flushes like the one in your home. No tanks to empty etc.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Since it doesn't sound like you plan on traveling in this rig. Why not look at a park model. It won't be an A$. But it will provide you with more conveniences. Such as a real toilet that flushes like the one in your home. No tanks to empty etc.
Not to knock Airstreams but if you are planning in spending the winter in one in an area where temps get down in the 20s or below. They don't have the greatest insulation so you will burn a lot of gas and get condensation on the walls.