Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
G.V. Unit cooler. anyone hook one up

some say they run Synthetic transmission fluid in the G.V. units. the manual says not to.

I have checked under the coach several times while on the road and the G.V. casing is to HOT to touch. do they run Hot ?

Normally.

can a Transmission cooler be Plumbed Into the system ?

thank You

John

Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
some say they run Synthetic transmission fluid in the G.V. units. the manual says not to.

I have checked under the coach several times while on the road and the G.V. casing is to HOT to touch. do they run Hot ?

Normally.

can a Transmission cooler be Plumbed Into the system ?

thank You

John
John, how hot is hot? If you were to check the trans or engine block they also get hot. Do you have the deep sump on your GV? That adds a little more oil and a little more cooling. I just added the deep sump to mine while doing the first oil change. There was no sign of burnt or overheated oil without the extra oil of the deep sump. If you have one of the infra red thermometers you could get a good temp read and check the trans as a comparison.

The oil pick up is through a pick-up tube and screen inside the bottom cover. As far as I know the only oil port is at pump pressure which is around 700 psi. If you want to add a cooler you will probably have to tap the bottom cover/sump and add an external pump to circulate the oil through a cooler and back to the sump.

The original Laycock OD units on European cars shared the oil with the transmission being coupled to the back of the trans as a single unit. When GV took over they built a coupler to separate the GV oil from the original trans oil I would guess so they don't have to deal with approval and warranty issues from the vehicle manufacturer. They seem to have been very successful with this approach.

Good luck, Dan

Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Some years ago, when I was going through my experience with GV. The president, Rick Johnson was playing with some kind of prototype oil cooler so a call to them might answer your question.
Also while the book from mine (12 years ago) specified a grade of ATF he had me change to the same synthetic oil that my Dodge manual transmission uses. Mighty expensive oil for something that has to be changed every ten thousand or so.
My overall experience with the GV unit ( actually 5 of them) was less than satisfactory to put it mildly
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Some years ago, when I was going through my experience with GV. The president, Rick Johnson was playing with some kind of prototype oil cooler so a call to them might answer your question.
Also while the book from mine (12 years ago) specified a grade of ATF he had me change to the same synthetic oil that my Dodge manual transmission uses. Mighty expensive oil for something that has to be changed every ten thousand or so.
My overall experience with the GV unit ( actually 5 of them) was less than satisfactory to put it mildly
Interesting. Thank You Steve
I assume you have some interesting stories to tell.
I see you are very close. we get down to the Jamestown, Byrdstown area quite often. Gods Country for sure
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Have a look at this thread.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Have a look at this thread.
quote from thread, Pump and reservoir installed.

Quote ( I extended my drain intervals by installing an external sump w/filter, increasing the fluid capacity to about 5 quarts: )
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...cs/CTD_125.jpg
http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...cs/CTD_126.jpg