Old 12-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
wasco , Oregon
ALANSD...Assuming you are running a 454 big block in your MH,... I would agree with what John just said in the previous post, but would add the following:

BB pistons are cam ground (out of round while cold) and are round only when the reach full opperating temp. By not running with the proper thermostat you are creating more cylinder wear than necessary. Thats what the big boys tell me.

CHAPLIAN KENT... I used to run my refer,water heater, and furnace while on the road with my old 1975 Superior and never had a problem. Haven't tried the furnace part since I got our 1988 290 MH, but do run refer. and water heater on the road always. Probably not a good thing, but there are a lot of safety devices built in.

wascobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Originally Posted by TomW
...A while back, I read someone's account of needing to transport their new-to-them vintage Airstream trailer in the middle of a very cold winter. By the time they had reached their destination, three of their windows had broken for no apparent reason...
Seeing other threads popping up about winter towing revived my interest in locating that account. Here it is.

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin

Since my first post we have made several trips with the motorhome on very cold days. I have used a small space heater along with the generator when needed. Also I have worked on the cable which operates the heat adjustment and it now gives off adequate heat. However, this cable is not connected to the dash! I have it connected via coat hangar to the vent by the passenger compartment. Does any one know if this is a GM part?
Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Of course the manufacturer is going to advise against EVER towing with the furnace on. Their lawyers would be foolish to advise otherwise. And, some states do have laws against towing with propane on as they are concerned that in the event of an accident, a fractured line could result in a blowtorch.
However, that being said, I have friends that have towed for over 35 years with frige on in the summer, and both furnace and frige on in the winter, with no problems.
Would think this is an activity that you just have to decide at your own risk given your circumstances.
In winter, I would hate to be towing over a mountain pass where I KNEW it would be below freezing for very long, and have no heat in the trailer....can you say frozen lines? say from Artesia NM to Alamogordo NM where the mountain is over 9000 ft at Cloudcroft. The road might be clear, but the temp could be well below freezing on the mountain and well above freezing at Artesia and at Alamogordo.

dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote