Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Frame rust?

I'm going to look at a '82 310 mh this weekend that I know has spent it's life on the Gulf Coast. With a boating background I'm concerned about the potential for frame rust. Is this a legit concern? What should I look for? I'm capable of doing my own survey but hopefully I can't stick an ice pick in it like I would a wooden boat.

Thanxs for any help, Pete
woodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The frames on the P30 chassis are somewhere between 3/16" and 1/4" thick. I'm sure you'll find at a minimum a lot of surface rust. If I were you I would certainly try using your ice pick to see if you can find any serious rust. I wouldn't be to concerned with light pitting on the frame and for sure it will be covered with surface rust.

Bottom line is you're just going to have to look at the frame and make a decision based on what you see. Personally I wouldn't want to get into frame repair on a motorhome chassis.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Be sure to look at the Airstream frame which is visible in the rear wheel wells. This is the frame that is made of 2" square tubing. (Not the Chevrolet frame) Also check the frame aft of the rear wheels. For some reason this is more prone to rust than up front.
Check the aluminum fuslage around all the horizontal trim strips.
Good luck, Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Brad & Bob,
Thanxs to both you guys for your input. I spent 8 hours going over this unit Monday. I really didn't see anything serious at all. Lack of use the biggest issue. I thought the location in South Louisiana for years would be the negative, but actually they're 40-50 miles from the coast & it didn't feel like the kind of salt air you have right on the coast.
The short story--they accepted my offer(I feel really guilty) & after 690 miles without one problem!! I'm back in Dayton, TN. & ready to go to work. I mean that is what it's all about , isn't it?
When I get the cheese out of the microwave & the mold out of the frig maybe I'll shares some pics.
Appreciate your input, Pete
woodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodja View Post
Brad & Bob,
Thanxs to both you guys for your input. I spent 8 hours going over this unit Monday. I really didn't see anything serious at all. Lack of use the biggest issue. I thought the location in South Louisiana for years would be the negative, but actually they're 40-50 miles from the coast & it didn't feel like the kind of salt air you have right on the coast.
The short story--they accepted my offer(I feel really guilty) & after 690 miles without one problem!! I'm back in Dayton, TN. & ready to go to work. I mean that is what it's all about , isn't it?
When I get the cheese out of the microwave & the mold out of the frig maybe I'll shares some pics.
Appreciate your input, Pete
Pete,

Congrats on the new acquisition To only have one problem in almost 700 miles with an unknown motorhome is pretty good. We had three problems when we picked up our 310 a few years ago and felt fortunate at the time.

Definitely post pictures when you have the opportunity.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote