Old 01-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The sides of the dog house are done with the oak but the top is covered with a berber carpet. This arrangement already has proved not to be the best. I will need to put some kind of trim to protect the carpet edges from unraveling. My first attempt at this was not succesful due to the odd angles of the dog house. I have some metal trim which I will try upon the return from our Florida trip. The benefit to the oak on the dog house is sound deadening, it is increadible how well that 3/4 inch oak deadened the sound.

Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Dog House Covering

Originally Posted by ALANSD
I have some berber I considered using on the front area, but it would not adhere well to the doghouse angles and over the edges.
This is a pic of the doghouse in the 345 after covering with carpet....

no glue......just a HUGE number of staples in each fold and edge.

The staples are not visible - just make sure you place the staples parallel to the stitch lines, and not across them.

I left the original "carpet" covering on the doghouse - gave it an extra layer of sound and heat insulation - also gave it an extra layer for the staples to bury in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog House Close Up.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	10270  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 05:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master
We replaced the carpet on our doghouse and front driver passenger area with the same wood flooring as on the rest of the floor (except the rear bedroom we left carpeted for now). We trimmed out the doghouse with wood corner edge available at Lowe's or Home Depot, stained & sealed to go with the "flooring".

We also had to make some small panels to cover each side of the entertainment center out and clean up the look. For these I used lexan, painted black on the back side.

We also applied foil "bubble pack" insulation inside the engine compartment of the doghouse to cut down on heat and noise. Used self-stick insulation hangers which we cut down after installing the insulation.

Some the vertical surfaces of the doghouse we re-upolstered. We used some of the same fabric which we had used to re-upolster couch and other interior panels.

We were at the BOTH Mid-West Rallys held in June at Moraine View State Park in Central Illinois. You probably already saw most of the work we had done but I'll post some pictures when I go visit her next weekend at the storage lot.

zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote