Old 06-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

F/Contained Emergency response

I live in Florida and am preparing myself to help in the Gulf oil spill. I have some back ground in FEMA Emergency Response and am currently taking the HAZWHOPER certification. I have a medical back ground that will enable me to obtain an EMT license.
Here is my request; I want to be fully self contained in my 2001 25ft. Excella.
What are my best possible choices for generators?
What are my best possible choices for satelite communications in
conjunction with a computer and printer?
Is it possible to monitor and control the possible hazardous air
entering the AS?
Should I under coat the bottom since I will be in a salt water
atmosphere for an extended amount of time?
Are there any other saftey concerns that can be added to my list
for preparedness?

My TV is a 1996 GMC 3/4 ton 5.7 liter, new tires and every possible preliminary maintence has been done. I have towed it safely and comfortably. I have a canopy on the back that a generator can be transported in. When I get to area of deployment, how can I secure the generator (outside of TV) so that it doesn't get stolen?
Thank you for your responses.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng View Post
What are my best possible choices for generators?
No air conditioning = 1000 watt Honda or Yamaha inverter generator

Yes air conditioning = Pair of 2000 watt Honda or Yamaha inverter generators

Quote:
conjunction with a computer and printer?
If you're made of money, there's BGAN. You're looking at $20,000 for the equipment and a $500 monthly charge, which includes 100 free MB and 30 free minutes talk time. By all reports the service works great.

Otherwise, there's Iridium, which is slow and expensive though not as bad as BGAN. Or you can try to use a residential service like WildBlue, which is far cheaper but not really designed to be portable.

Quote:
Is it possible to monitor and control the possible hazardous air
entering the AS?
The standard solution in the industry is to pressurize the area being protected using a system of filters and blowers. There's no off-the-shelf solution, but then with a few minor modifications Airstreams can be made fairly airtight, so then you just need to add a port for the duct. Not difficult. You have to figure out what contaminants you care about, how concentrated they'll be, and design your filtration system accordingly.

Quote:
Should I under coat the bottom since I will be in a salt water
atmosphere for an extended amount of time?
No, you should get sufficient service life without that to last the duration of even a major emergency.

Quote:
Are there any other saftey concerns that can be added to my list
for preparedness?
The way you're thinking you want to consider a desalination plant and maybe some tiedowns to protect from high winds. Also, fuel storage.

Quote:
My TV is a 1996 GMC 3/4 ton 5.7 liter, new tires and every possible preliminary maintence has been done. I have towed it safely and comfortably. I have a canopy on the back that a generator can be transported in. When I get to area of deployment, how can I secure the generator (outside of TV) so that it doesn't get stolen?
Well, we have similar tastes in TVs. Consider sparing high-risk, high-impact, difficult-to-patch components, like the fuel pump and serpentine belt.

Securing the generator is problematic. You can use security chain and a padlock and secure it to the frame of the trailer, or use a ground anchor of some kind. An old tire buried under 3 feet of dirt is more than most people will dig up. For more security, dig deeper; the security chain and the attachment of the chain to the generator are the weakest links.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
_

. , .
misplaced thread and idea...

lightng

is this the same trailer that was gonna be 4sale 3 months ago and hasn't been moved or used in 4 years?

every time there is a national calamity or event where LOTS of responders are needed

someone posts about taking the stream to the gig and helping out.

IF you know the destination just find an rv park within commuting distance and park it.

IF there are any spaces available, which is typically NOT the case.

or find someone who is willing to offer up their driveway, IF legal.

but having the a/s ANYWHERE nearby or 'onsite' is a naive idea.

and "preparing the stream" to be onsite/nearby would be expensive and a lot of wasted effort.

just prepare it for camping like others do (cell phone, broadband, water, juice, food) unless the destination is UNcharted.

dozens of reasons why trying to include the stream is problematic,

but ne1 sharp enough to help out should be able to list them.

if the skill set is there and the desire to help is strong contact ANY of the agencies coordinating efforts and offer to help.

housing workers is always an issue but they'll have answers for how best to do that too.

group housing is the optimal use of space and solves most of the issues related to camping in a stream nearby.

share toilets and water and showers and all the typical services a human being needs while DOING relief work.

lastly this thread is in the MOHO section, not exactly the right spot to park it, irony aside ...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #4

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
I live in Florida ...
conjunction with a computer and printer?.
Satt coms...I can't think of a reason you would require that in Florida...get a Wilson amp an Aircard...The monthly airtime on a BGAN can exceed the cost of an Airstream...OR call Directv and get their internet service.

Quote:
...Is it possible to monitor and control the possible hazardous air
entering the AS?...
If the area is that bad, they will probably prohibit you from sleeping there. They weren't too thrilled when I showed up in my 34' even though I had full Gov'mt credentials and travel orders. I had to stay outside the compound area.

Quote:
...Should I under coat the bottom since I will be in a salt water atmosphere for an extended amount of time?
With an enclosed bellypan that's kinda tough on a short notice.

Thanks for pitchin' in and assisting with the mess!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

response

Thanks for your opinons. I am much relieved about the idea of keeping it simple. I am by no means wealthy, so the AS is fine the way it is. I do tend to think of being prepared for the worst case scenery since I have weathered mega storms. Also, I can't help to think of self presevation when it comes to corporate or the government keeping me safe or properly informed. The AS has new tires and a spare, roof resealed, and axels bearings repacked. Since I have been to NM and back I can stop by for needed service. A park setting with some amenities does sound applealing and simplifies things.
Any more ideas would be graciously accepted.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

back by popular demand-Humanitarianism

every time there is a national calamity or event where LOTS of responders are needed someone posts about taking the stream to the gig and helping out.

I would not self deploy (uninvited) to an incident. I am preparing myself through education and experience. I am not a couch dwelling criticizor who expects the government to be be soley responsible with our tax dollars. Florida National Guard is trained to respond to disasters. Since most of them (including my son) are over seas, there is something I (and other qualified civilians) can do. I am not rich or famous. I can't throw money or mass media attention into the solution, but there is something I can do to be of service without being a logistical liability to the mission.
Perhaps you too can be of service to your community. Below is a link to FEMA National Incident Management training it is a free educational service to the public and private. It is a worthy use of our tax dollars.
FEMA | Federal Emergency Management Agency

I also recommend C.E.R.T. training. This is a program that educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
Again, another worthy use of our tax dollars to teach us to be of service to ourselves and community.
CERT : Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)

Another very worthy service to our community is National Association for Missing and Exploited Children. Paid for entirely by contributions and sweat. It is a free humanitarian service to the community.
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
You might want to consider an IPad for both Wi-Fi and 3G.