Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Exterior Coating

I'm looking at an '89 370 as many of you know. Two years ago, the exterior was recompletely redone by AS in Jackson Center including paint and coating. I cannot find out what the coating is. It appears to be a satin clearcoat type of finish. Not clear like the trailers. Not nearly as reflective. The roof is doing some minor peeling, and I'd like to coat that before it spreads, to at least slow down the process. Does anyone know what the coating is, and where I can get some? AS says to call the dealers. I've done that, and they say they don't know what AS used, so they can't help me either. I was hoping maybe someone else knows, and perhaps it's something I could get from an automobile type paint supplier. Any help will be appreciated.

Noiva
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I just bought some directly from an Airstream dealer. I'm surprised they're telling you they can't get it. Airstream packages it and sells it in a spray can for touch up. I'd call them back and educate them. They can order it directly from Airstream. Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I don't know what the clear coat, or plasticoat is either. Seems to be a big mystery! However I am certain that it is something that is applied by spraying in on since it seems to peel like paint does. Aluminum is a hard thing to have hold onto paint effectively and therefore you end up with peeling.

I would say that it has to have some type of epoxy properties in it since it holds on as well as it does.

I have the same type of peeling happening on my fiberglass bass boat now and at the end of the season I will have it clearcoated. The person that does this work for me has informed me that the coat on the AS is very similar to the clearcoat he applies to the bass rig.

Since my AS is peeling and I have some oxidation on it from loss of the coat I will be doing a full polish as soon as I get around to it. I have other repairs that will come first. However, I will probably come up with a clear coat that will work on it way before I do the polish job and if I find out what AS uses I will post accordingly.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
I just bought some directly from an Airstream dealer. I'm surprised they're telling you they can't get it. Airstream packages it and sells it in a spray can for touch up. I'd call them back and educate them. They can order it directly from Airstream. Joe
Joe,
Is it packaged under their name or is it made by someone else? If it is an AS product can you post its contents or any info about it?

John G
Old 07-29-2004, 07:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Here's what the can looks like. It is not made by Airstream - only packaged under their name. Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clear Coat_1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	8082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clear Coat_2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	8083  

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Thanks Joe,

Clear Acrylic is what is used to clear coat a fiberglass boat too. I had thought that it might have some type of epoxy in it also to help it bond to aluminum better. Something like the appliance paints have in them.

I do know that some acrylics bond better than others. Guess there would be a little more research involved to find out which one would be best to use for a new clear coat on my AS after it is polished.

John G
Old 07-29-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Motorhome "Plasticoat"

Thanks to all of you. The pictures were, once again, "worth a thousand words". I found a can of that in the trunk of the coach, but had no idea that's what they recommend for touch up. I'll be attempting to do just that as soon as I can.

Thanks so much.

Noiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
Here's what the can looks like. It is not made by Airstream - only packaged under their name. Joe
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote