Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

2001 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Kennewick , Washington
Question Excessive Cockpit Heat

Hello all,

Hopefully someone can give us some insight. We are new to Motor Homing. We purchased a 2001 Land Yacht last year. When we drive it during a hot day we notice a ton of heat coming up from under the dash, more so on the drivers side. We have the Ford V-10 engine and the dash configuration where the TV is right above the dog house. The heat intensifies when we are climbing a steep grade and the extra engine cooling fan kicks on. Is there something we can do? Maybe add some extra insulation under the dash, or is NOT normal and should we have it looked at? The AC seems to be working, it just can't keep up with all that heat. We have run the generator and the roof AC in the past and that seems to help, but we are still learning something new every time we take a trip. Thanks for any advice you can give us.

Dianne and Bill

Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Cedar City , Utah
Had the same problem with my 1979 Excella Motorhome and discovered multiple causes. Hope yours is not so complex.

First determine if the engine is running hotter than it should for your model. Sorry, I cannot say what it should be. I replaced the radiator with a larger one and installed a better auxiliary cooling fan but in retrospect, the radiator alone was sufficient. Engine never exceeds 195 degrees now.

Second, if engine heat level is within normal parameters, simple modifications to increase airflow around the engine compartment can be made but should also include ensuring there is also a pathway to wick away the hot air.

Third, there may be gaps between the doghouse covering the engine compartment and the cabin area or insulation may have been removed. There are a number of products that combine insulating material and a reflective surface.

There may be other issues but these three top my list. Look for obvious changes that may have been done by a previous owner.

I hope this is, at least, a helpful step in searching for your cause. If you're not inclined to do the work yourselves, find someone to take a look at it for you.

Mary

Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Honestly, it's been reported on several of the motorhome forums, that you're better off running the genset and both A/C units instead of the dash A/C. There's no way the dash A/C can possibly ever cool the entire rig. Plus, while using the dash A/C, you're probably getting 1mpg less. Where using the genset means you're buring 1 gallon of fuel per hour. Friend of mine with Holiday Rambler says he NEVER uses dash A/C while traveling, only genset and roof A/C's. More to the point, since whole coach is cool during travel, it doesn't take forever to cool it down once at campground.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
I agree that running the AC units is a good way of cooling things down. Mine only has one roof mounted AC and my coach is very old so heater and air conditioner were two separate non integrated systems. Nostalgic air parts built a custom unit for me per my specifications to integrate the systems. Your coach is newer and situation should be easier to resolve if necessary.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

On the Road , Michigan
Another (almost) newbie with similar problems...

So you can run the generator while on the move to run the overhead AC, rather than running the dash AC? For some reason I thought the generator had to be off when the engine was on...

(not that we CAN use the overhead AC now - both froze up on the heat wave - NOR can we run the generator, 'cause it's surging... just hoping in future we'll actually get some stuff fixed... )
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Cedar City , Utah
Yes, you can run the generator while driving and so run the rooftop AC unit(s). If you cannot run the generator while the engine is on, you have a problem that needs to be resolved. My generator uses about one quarter American Gallon per hour when running the AC unit.

Mary