Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Engine hatch insulation

Was checking the oil today in our 96LY, and it appears the foam insulation which used to be glued to the engine hatch is pretty much just resting on the intake manifold.

Any body found some super stuff to replace this with? Years ago I lined the entire cab of a '62 Ranchero with lead sheet, followed by custom liner and then carpet - took me a few weekends to cut the lead and secure it to the steel floor pans/firewall; but the engine/road noise reduction was incredible.

I've found some "light" lead bonded to foam, which is what I have used on sailboat engine rooms; but that stuff seems to break down after a couple years. I would hope that someone has developed some technology that is a little better in the last few decades???

TIA.
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!

Try dis... http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraf...ilter=&by=prod
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:39 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
That looks like some incredible stuff, indeed! A 23 db reduction with a 1/16" thick product. Have you tried it? Would love to get some comments on how well it actually performs.

I do appreciate the info; but that published literature really sounds too good to be true. It takes about 10db for a human to see a perceived doubling/halving of sound "volume". So this would cut sound by about a factor of 2.5. Sign me up!

But... I wish they would have included some data to support that. If this stuff was this good, we would be seeing it on everything. But all the motorhomes in dealers yards still have 1-2" of foam/something aluminized/or the old school perforated white ceiling tile looking product.

The car stereo guys are really big on noise reduction - Dynamat is a well known brand. And their best single application product (Hoodliner) has a 3 db reduction, from 100 to 10000 hz.

Click on the "Hoodliner Information" link at the bottom to download the pdf. They have 2 other products to add to the hoodliner to increase performance.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-an...ion/hoodliner/

But they also have no data to support how those 3 items perform together. But they do make the finished product thicker: Dynamat Extreme applied 1st, with Dynaliner 2nd, with the Hoodliner on top.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with some other data? Jeeze, with all the motorhomes with engine hatches out there, I'm surprised there are not as many threads as the best oil to use...
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Because you can look up the data yourself from manufacturers. That way they do not have to maintain current info or Include a disclaimer would be my guess.

Being this is from an aircraft supply, chances are it is a good option. It is made to take the heat.. I can't say anything about Dynamat heat properties as those are automotive applications. Perhaps they make other types... Good luck!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Check out Zircoflex. A pal of mine makes it in the UK; top quality stuff. They also make first rate coatings called Zircotec for exhausts. They are big in formula 1, race cars and increasingly high end vehicles with powerful (hot) engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote