Old 11-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Smile Ebay motorhome. A good deal?

I can not figure out how to start a post so here I am...hope it is ok..anyway there is a classic 345 '87 motor home for sale on ebay that we might consider. Looks real nice, but how do you know for sure...especially since it has to be pd. in full before you take posession. We have a real nice '93, 29' Excella that we would sell if we find a good motor home. Oh, it is auction # 4503676479; Help.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I guess I would want to have a look at it OR have someone look at it for me. There is a list of folks who are willing to go have a look and may take pictures. You can find there here:

http://www.airforums.com/foru...read.php?t=7387

Or the pdf list is here:
http://www.airforums.com/foru...tachmentid=8151

Best of luck!

Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
that does look like a very clean 345. If you can get someone to check it out that would be helpful of course, or excute a contigency bid with right of refusal if it is not as stated.
The seller would agree if you are both on the same page. Its how I bought mine. They held the deposit check until I got there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
It does appear to be a unit in good shape. Interior redone, exterior shows no damage in the pictures. The big questions to me would center around the mechanicals. The current owner does not appear to have a lot of experience with this specific unit. Kind of wondering why he bought it, took it to Airstream for exterior work (no specifics given) and then is selling it after two trips.

IMHO - I would not pay for anything in full prior to pickup and inspection. Ideally I would also request a local RV dealership complete an inspection as well before completing the sale.

So, if the exterior and interior are in very good to excellent shape and all of the system are working and reliable then you really need to look at the engine and tranny. Its been discussed here many times but low mileage units can have as much or more engine trouble than high mileage units of the same year simply due to lack of use.

I would also check out competetive units for sale on eBay, RVTRaderOnline, Fred Hind's www.airstreammotorhomes.com and others. The current bidding is putting this unit close to the mid range for this age unit. It's condition could fetch a higher price than average but the motor and tranny could add an additional $6K - $10K if you need to replace them within the year.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Ask the seller about recent trips and activity. These things need to be exercised and used. Nothing hurts a motorhome like inactivity! Most of the units that have had trouble after purchase are those that sat around for some time. If they used it recently, it might indicate that it is in decent shape. Most sellers would agree to a shop inspection.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
Thank You all for the help...!!! The mechanics is what worries me too. Like you say, no use is not good for the engine..Time to ask more ?? So you think this is about midrange price for the age, that helps too....thanks again!!
Old 11-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Been there and looked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtyme
Thank You all for the help...!!! The mechanics is what worries me too. Like you say, no use is not good for the engine..Time to ask more ?? So you think this is about midrange price for the age, that helps too....thanks again!!
I went and looked at this unit last time it was listed.
His reserve was pretty high and he did not accept my offer.

The unit was in pretty good shape. He had the dark grey areas re-painted at the factory. It was pretty obvious that the unit had been painted. He also had the factory re-seal the clearcoat. The factory simply resealed right over the faded spots. The passenger side looks pretty good but the driver side is spotted considerably.

The interior was clean and the furniture is a pewter grey leather even though it appears to be white in the pictures.
The upholstery was done by a professional furniture maker.
The floors were done by the current owner. The floor looks okay.
There were some stains on the side walls near the side table that looked as though the window or something in that area had leaked at one time.
The dash covering did not match the rest of the interior.

The engine started well and sounded pretty good, I did not test drive it.
The air bag actuator on the passenger Tag axle was damaged but looked as though it was repairable.

I can give you an idea of the asking price via PM

Smily