Old 04-08-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Easy question on 310

This should be easy. I need the size of the 1981 310 turbo airstream. I need the height, the width, and the weight. This is needed to complete the quote on having it trucked from Wyoming to Kentucky. If anyone has this handy I need it ASAP. Thanks

Old 04-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
My 345 is 10' 8" X 9' 3" wide X 34' 6" long based on the placard.

so...yours should be about the same, except 31' long (310)

Fred has some good info on this on his site at: http://www.geocities.com/fredhinds/a...airstream.html

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Length and Height

Geo-357:

I know you'll be OK on the width, but the combination of height and length will probably be a gotcha'. The standard flatbed 18 wheeler starts at 3' tall, which immediatly puts the 310 on a conventional flatbed over height. This eliminates pretty much any load of opportunity (backhaul). Since there are so few low boys on the highway at any given time, the owner will probably want to charge of full mileage both ways for the haul, that is if you can find a float that will be low enough to haul the 310 without modification.

If I'm not mistaken, the 10'8" height that Stephen is referring to is without the AC on top. I think mine is right at 12' with the AC. I still have the scaffold up next to mine at the house, I'll get a measurement for you this afternoon.

On the length, I measured the 345 the other day, and it was 35 feet, 2 inches, bumper pad to bumper pad. Be careful if you do contract a trucking company. The rear overhang of the AS motorhomes makes loading onto any sort of a ramp approach really difficult.

Best of luck.

On edit: Stephen - 9'3"??? I'll get a true measurement on the width on the Xeppelin this afternoon also. I think (dangerous for me) that the 345 is 7'9" wide, then the mirrors and/or the awnings hang out some past that. I don't think the Classic Motorhome (old body style) would be an overwidth haul.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Weight of MoHo

The 345 Xilver Xeppelin weighed in (prior to modifications) at a bit over 15,000 lbs with full fuel (gas and LPG), no driver, and empty house tanks.

Ratioing down, I would suspect that your 310 would be somewhere around 12,000 to 13,000 lbs (no tag axel). I would advise to give the transport company 13,000 lbs as an estimating and weight calculating number, but insist on an actual weigh ticket to calculate the final tariff. The actual weigh ticket will cost about ten bucks, but the transport company will probably charge you for the stop and driver's time.

Try to lock in, in advance, as much as possible, all the charges and variables for the haul.

I know that I, as well others, would appreciate you posting what you find the haul rates to be, as most of the active MoHo posters here on the Forum have units with mileage approaching or exceeding 100,000 miles (any one of us may be in exactly your situation on the very next trip).

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 04-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Dennis,
I'm curious to see your actual, measured height. My clearance placard listed the height and width. The height lists did include the AC and I assume the width includes the mirrors. Again, this was the "clearance" measurement. I'm sure the actuals are slightly less.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
I was mistaken.....

"If I'm not mistaken, the 10'8" height that Stephen is referring to is without the AC on top. I think mine is right at 12' with the AC. I still have the scaffold up next to mine at the house, I'll get a measurement for you this afternoon."

Actual level measurement - top of 1986 Coleman Mach III 13,500 BTU A/C shroud to parking slab - 10' 6"

Top of 2003 Coleman Mach 15,000 BTU A/C shroud to slab - 10' 11"

(Good for me, 'cause I have alternative parking limited to 11' 6".)

Width of Body at widest point (Front Wheel Bay Moulding) - 7' 10"

Mirrors extend 9" each side in "normal" (extended) mode - 9'4" total

Minimum Mirror Extension (folded in to body) -- 6" each - 8' 10"

Hooda' thunk it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-180S.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	5807  

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 04-09-2004, 07:54 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to swebster and 87mh. I appreciate the timely replies and the extra work you did to help me out. Using your information I worked with a truck broker. The real problem is the length (31' 6") and the overhang behind the rear wheels. Low boy trailers are great if you have a bulldozer to drive up and over the wheel wells on the trailer. Not good for MHs. You can get a crane to lift up your MH and set it on the trailer ($20,000 rental at each end of the trip). Best shot seems to be a RGN (removable gooseneck trailer) Best quote from Cheyene to KY was $2900, pllus $150 at each end to remove gooseneck. Ouch. This pretty well made my decision easier--have the engine replaced in Cheyene, WY. Going to try and go with the cummins 5.9 as recommended by others on this site. Thanks again for your prompt help. If anything good comes out of this fiasco it will be learning that airstreamers are a real community.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:30 AM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Good to know the "actual" measurements

geo-357 - community is what this is all about!

One possible alternative for you. My wife reminded me last night about the time we broke down in the Badlands, SD. We were driving a 1979 Mercedes towing a motorcycle trailer. We flagged down a park ranger and they sent an "RV Flatbed" to come and get us. The driver pulled up in a low Jer-Dan (spelling?) and pulled the entire rig and trailer up and on with room to spare. I'm not sure if this was some kind of specialty rig or not, but perhaps its an option for getting your 310 to the builder of choice for your overhaul.

If you do put in th Cummins, please keep us all posted. I'm sure most of us have entertained a "diesel conversion" at rebuild time and would love to find out how its done and how much it costs.

Despite your current AS troubles, once this baby is done you're gonna have one B.A motorhome!

Dennis, thanks for getting the actual measurements. I'll breath a little easier going under the 12' 2" bridge by the office now

It's always surpsied me when people see my MH they comment on how "BIG" it is. This is typically when they are seeing it by itself, with no other MH's around. I've always thought that this was simply illusion of such a long, low, sleek shell since whenever I park at a truck stop between two or three newer SOB MH's I'm always amazed at how "SMALL" my MH looks.