Old 09-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Duplicate My Dash Panel

I have a 30' 2002 A/S gas that had a rear monitor on the right side of the dash panel. I removed the monitor for a light weight LCD. Problem is, I don't want the monitor on the dash because it is not conducive to easy viewing. Now I have a 7" square hole in the dash panel.

I can buy a new dash panel via a dealer but then I need to remove all switches and other dash stuff. There is way too much chance for causing other problems doing that.

I learned from a dealer that Airstream uses a 1/4 " thick material with a "Spanish Burl" finish for most of their MH's up to 2005. They only sell it in large sheet quantity, so they won't sell a small piece. It must be fairly comon as I also have the same looking stuff in my car.

Question; does anyone know where I can buy just a 9" X 12" piece of this suff?

Steve

Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Alternatively, you could get some foam-lined leather or vinyl and make a nice padded panel to cover the hole for considerably less. You could even press "AIRSTREAM" into it. I think that would look nice, but it's a matter of personal taste.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Foam Lined Leather

Dave,
You got me. I'm not familiar with "foam lined leather" or even where I would be able to buy it. Do you have any thoughts. Also, how do you press the Airstream logo?

I do like your ideas, it would be unique, my problem is I live in the part of the country that doesn't have foam lined leather. Can you elaborate?
Steve
Old 09-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Vinyl can be bought with "batting" already applied to the back, or you can buy very thin 1/4" foam or batting and use carpet glue to attach it to the leather to make it feel softer and more plush.

Leather workers have letter sets in a few standard fonts that can be used to press letters into the leather, leaving a permanent mark.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Reupholstery shop or boat cushion place would have, but it is fake leather. I have some left over from last project. If you are going to the Fallaluminium in N. Georgia I could have it there or email your address and I can send the size you need.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Steve,
On my 1993 LY MH, on the step up right before the dog house there is a storage compartment in the floor which houses the fuse panel for the interior coach, I don't know where your panel is located, but the fuse panel cover in mine was made out of the "Spanish Burl" (plastic) that you're looking for. When I was having my camera fixed I used it to patch the hole remaining after taking the monitor out. I don't know if you have a similar set up in a 2002, might want to check it out.
Randy

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Spanish Burl

Randy,
Yes, exactly what I'm looking for. Where did you get the material (Spanish Burl Plastic)? Thanks.
Steve
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Steve
The cover of the fuse box was made out of a piece of the plastic burl big enough to patch the hole of the monitor.I used it and made a new fuse cover out of wood, its in the storage compartment so it doesn't show.
Randy

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote