Old 09-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
That's a great reason not to buy the same one for a replacement. When a manufacturer makes key parts unavailable so you have to buy the whole thing, I always buy another brand. And I try not to do business with that company. Which may be hard with Dometic as they make lots of RV parts that we all use.
I really kicked that around and checked out several other toilets. I really like the Dometic 310. The height, elongated bowl, the way it fits in the space, flush system... Everything but the problem I had which I think I can avoid in the future. I might write them a strongly worded letter!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Not sure, but I think our 2005, 19-foot Bambi has a Thetford toilet in it. We have had several boats that all had Thetford toilets; and they seem to be reliable, with replacement parts infrequently needed, but widely available.

Hopefully, I won't need to replace the toilet in our Bambi for many years. However, if and when I do, I will probably look at Thetford first, for a replacement.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
The PO replaced the toilet in my RV with a Dometic SC 310 chair height about 3 years ago. After our spring trip I gave it a good cleaning. In prepping for our fall trip I stepped on the flush pedal and the gate (ball) valve in the bottom of the bowl didn't move. The rubber seal was dry from the cleaning and stuck to the gate valve causing two tiny tabs to shear off the shaft that connects it to the pedal. Awe poop! After three successful stops at RV shops and online searching, a call to a very nice customer support at Dometic confirmed that the part is not individually available. Everything else is but not that part. I have to buy a new toilet. Awe crap!!!

Unavailability of this key part makes the toilet very fragile. If you clean it make sure you re lubricate the valve and seal before you step on the pedal. Especially if its going into storage. Carefully operate the pedal by hand after periods of non use to make sure its not sticking. You wont even realize these little tabs sheared off until you notice that the valve didn't open.
I can't tell a lot from your photos, but before I'd throw out the whole toilet, I'd try JB Welding those tabs back in place and see if it wouldn't fix it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I can't tell a lot from your photos, but before I'd throw out the whole toilet, I'd try JB Welding those tabs back in place and see if it wouldn't fix it.
I'm pretty creative on fixes like that. Couldn't come up with a good solution that would be less hassle than the options. I considered machining a stud with the dogs out of PVC, boring out the arm, and cementing it in and boring a hole all the way through the pedal and valve. The part is pretty flimsy as is. It would be pretty crappy if it failed on the road. The bone colored one on order will look better than the white one that broke anyway. I'll keep the old one round for parts and maybe fix it for my parents camper.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Tried out an idea for a fix. Bottom line, it's made out of a very chemically resistant material. Probably a polyethylene plastic. Nothing will stick to it. Not epoxy (JB Weld) or vinyl solvents for bonding PVC. Have to wait for the new crapper. Hope to salvage a bit of a fall color tour.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
PPL came through. The new toilet arrived today. $127 + $10 shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2110694290.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	196528  
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
PPL came through. The new toilet arrived today. $127 + $10 shipping.

Dakota,
Is that a 310 or 320 model?
I currently have the 310 and liked it, except mine just broke too. even though I lubed it before my recent trip.. Had to endure a 3 week trip with it not working. I had to open and close the slide manually. Not much fun!

I'll call Sealand, but because of the response you received I'm expecting the same answers, so I'm thinking of going with a different brand, if I can find one that fits in the same space.

Hope you have more luck with the new one.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
... just curious, beside Thetfort and Dometic, what else is there?
They did not have that single specific part, but it reads as if it was part of an assembly. It is very common to have to buy more than you actually want due to manufacturers using an assembly. Usually, using an assembly makes the repair a lot easier.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I called Dometic and explained my problem with the toilet. Since it's under the 2 year warranty they will send me a new one and it will arrive tomorrow by UPS.
I thought there would be a problem but, they were easy to deal with and just asked me for the serial number off the toilet along with my address info.
I'm glad they stood behind their product as the parts are not available to fix the problem as mentioned earlier in a previous post.
I really didn't look at other styles or brands since they took care of my situation.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
THANK YOU BOTH for the heads up on Dometic.I have been looking at both Thetford And Dometic the past month.It is nice to hear that you did hear from CS at Dometic.
I think now I will go with the new Thetford Aqua Magic Residence if I can find a dealer that has one in stock so I can see it first.Right now I would have to order it on line sight unseen.
Sure would like to hear other kolks luck with new TALL toilets.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
I got my 310 via CW and when it was delivered by oops, the vacuum release cover was broken. Contacted MarcusVIP and the next day heard from Dometic who are shipping the seat, lid, cover assembly under warranty. I had asked just for the cover itself but guess it is not available separately. Am happy with the quick response.

Steve
Old 10-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Glad to hear that you've received good service. My toilet has a slow leak at the dump valve so water won't stay in the bowl. Will be replacing soon.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Glad to hear that you've received good service. My toilet has a slow leak at the dump valve so water won't stay in the bowl. Will be replacing soon.
You can get the seal kit for the 310 and its not too hard to replace.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Never though of that. I'm not sure what model mine is as I've never really looked. I'll check into a kit for mine. Thanks for the suggestion.