Old 05-06-2005, 07:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I ride a three wheel recumbant bike which is long and heavy, for a bike. After much experimenting with racks and platforms I gave up and purchased a 4X6 trailer. The trailer weighs under 400LBs. and will carry my bike, my wife's bike, along with extra chairs, and equipment. I did have larger wheels put on the trailer but is it possible to have bought one which is too light?

Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander
I tried the Banks System that was comprised of headers, chip, exhaust and transmission reprogrammer module and while it did increase power at the top end of the power band, low end performance decreased. Fuel economy actually dropped by 2 mpg. Towing performance increased a little, but it wasn't anything that would tear your pants off. I ended up taking the Banks system off and selling it to someone else. In the long run it was a big waste of money.
OVERLANDER---You are right on as to what these kits so often do on a Gasoline powered vehicle . As you experinced , open exhaust only enhance high rpm and at the same time kill off low end. As to "Chips" increasing horse power this is yet another misleading product. In most cases it does nothing more that raise or eliminate the rev limiter and raise the shift points to match, both of which are put there to protect the engine from damage. An additional result is decreased fuel economy.----Pieman

"People stand in line to be fooled and run from the truth"

Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Alan: The 310 has been sold. Since a flat tow supports its own weight, all the hitch is dealing with is the drag. If you don't try to jerk it around excessively you won't hurt the hitch like you would with an overweight trailer.
(If you know where the Byron Hill is, southbound on I-75 - the one that chokes the semi's down, I have topped it at 80mph in the 310, towing the Z-71)

74Argosy24MH: I read somewhere that towing increased front tire wear. All I ever towed was a 4x4 truck, which tended to wear the front end anyway, so I can't really verify from personal experience. That said, it seems logical that the load on the front end of a front wheel drive car will be considerably different between having the front wheels pull the car, as when driving it, and having the car pull the front wheels, as when it is being towed. Since most people seem to tow little front wheel drive cars, I think that was the application that I read about. The alignment is set with the assumption that the front wheels will be under load, pulling the car, when the car is pulled and the front wheels are draging, the alignment changes and the tires scrub.

In the owner's manual for my truck, there is a bit of difference in towing capacity between a truck with 4.10 axles (like mine) and an otherwise identical truck with 3.73 axles. Whether a change in axle ratio will increase towing capacity depends on whether you are limited by power or chassis strength.

uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote